Official - Broncos sign Darius Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Rumour] - Broncos to sign Darius Boyd

honestly I think people need to stop referencing Boyds rep performances as to why he will be a good Fullback for us, when his rep performances have been exclusively on the wing.

and if we were signing him to play wing, i would be ok, even happy, about it. he is a very good winger.

and one thing I really worry about now, is that there is no-one who can put any pressure on Boyds fullback spot. I feel the competition for places is a good thing, as it usually eliminates complacency in performance.

and one thing I really worry about now, is that there is no-one who can put any pressure on Boyds fullback spot. I feel the competition for places is a good thing, as it usually eliminates complacency in performance.

But that would have been the same had we have stuck with Barba and not signed Boyd.

Gone are the days where you can have a ready made hardened NRL first grader ready to step up to replace any position.

Besides, with Kahu, Eden, Maranta, Nikorima, and the option of moving Hodges or Milford to fullback, we have got the position covered better than most teams.

But that would have been the same had we have stuck with Barba and not signed Boyd.

Gone are the days where you can have a ready made hardened NRL first grader ready to step up to replace any position.

Besides, with Kahu, Eden, Maranta, Nikorima, and the option of moving Hodges or Milford to fullback, we have got the position covered better than most teams.

Eden is a nuffie

Milford won't be mover, Bennett has said that he will be sticking with him at 5/8 for the long term (i actually respect that decision, even though i prefer him at fullback, If we are going to use him at 5/8 we have to leave him there and let him grow in the position, the kid is talented enough to handle that.

I haven't seen enough of Maranta or Kahu at fullback to judge their potential in the position so you maybe right on them, although Kahu doesn't even play fullback in the ISC.

and K.Nikorima really reminds me a lot of Hoffman, i.e strong runner of the ball, but i'm not sure his play making would be good enough for the harsh critics of BHQ (or maybe play making is only important for a fullback if your name is Josh Hoffman :tongue:)

Nikorima is really nothing like Josh Hoffman.

Hoffman relied on a combination of agility and power to burst through the line and wasn't really known for his playmaking ability.

Where as, the go to play for the Broncos NYC was the second man to Nikorima who could float long balls out to his winger to score in the corner.

For a half, he probably does run it too much and relies too much on his foot-work and speed to create opportunities, but he can create for his outside men if need be.

Basically what I'm saying is that, if anything, he's more like Barba.

Don't forget either, both Nikorimas can play fullback.

I reckon most clubs would be happy to have them as depth.

Even then, can always move Hodges back there for a game or two if need be.

Last edited:

Eden is a nuffie

Milford won't be mover, Bennett has said that he will be sticking with him at 5/8 for the long term (i actually respect that decision, even though i prefer him at fullback, If we are going to use him at 5/8 we have to leave him there and let him grow in the position, the kid is talented enough to handle that.

I haven't seen enough of Maranta or Kahu at fullback to judge their potential in the position so you maybe right on them, although Kahu doesn't even play fullback in the ISC.

and K.Nikorima really reminds me a lot of Hoffman, i.e strong runner of the ball, but i'm not sure his play making would be good enough for the harsh critics of BHQ (or maybe play making is only important for a fullback if your name is Josh Hoffman :tongue:)

Both Nikorimas are fairly good playmakers and passers of the ball. I think they are too eager to run the ball, but not because they can't pass they just back themselves a bit too much (and also it is pretty effective in the NYC).

IMHO they are nothing at all like Hoffman, not even close. In fact if hoffman and even half their playmaking ability he would probably still be our fullback.

Re: [Rumour] Broncos to sign Darius Boyd

Kodi reminds me of Corey Norman.

Then i stand corrected on Nikorima... Hopefully he/they put some good pressure on Boyd.

And if Boyd performs, i will be very happy, because it will be good for the team. And thats all i care about.

Kodi reminds me of Corey Norman.

As a player they are nothing alike unless you mean they may not make top level playmaker then i would agree with you

To me they are both guys who did very well in u20s but have skill sets which I don't think will see them succeed at NRL level. They both also like to run too much.

*sigh*

I thought we had stamped out Norman doing well in 20s argument?

He seriously played the exact same in 20s. Some nice flashes and little else.

Norman could have been a very goid centre imo. Kodi is nothing like him, except for the run first mentality.

Kahu and Jayden Nikorima would be the most likely FB backups talent wise, although I can see Wayne going with a more conservative option, like Maranta.

Norman could have been a very goid centre imo. Kodi is nothing like him, except for the run first mentality.

Kahu and Jayden Nikorima would be the most likely FB backups talent wise, although I can see Wayne going with a more conservative option, like Maranta.

This again :rolleyes:

Did he go with the conservative approach we he promoted khunt?

Did he go with the conservative approach when he played Sione MataUtia

What makes you think he would go the conservative option?

He did when he selected Matt Minto ahead of Jake Mamo.

It will depend on the situation.

Eden is a nuffie

Have you even seen him play?

What makes you think he would go the conservative option?

He picked Stagg that time and has already penciled Lowrie into the starting side, according to some sources.

I suggest everyone who says Boyds Origin tries have been easy to go back and watch them. Whilst some tries were, some also weren't. But of course they aren't brought up. You think those tries are easy, let's ask Lachlan Maranta? Boyd is always there after someone makes a break, and can score tries from our own end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome clip. Really puts to bed some myths that are circulating on here about his talent.

and has already penciled Lowrie into the starting side, according to some sources.

Your sources are wrong, very wrong.

Kikorima is Barba, just four or five years younger. They are almost identical in style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.