Official - Broncos sign Darius Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Rumour] - Broncos to sign Darius Boyd

Possibly salary cap?
Well, that seems kind of obvious so I'm guessing you meant that tongue in cheek. Aside from the obvious like it has something to do with the Broncos and it involves contracts and money I just don't see how the two events are related. I'm wondering why anyone would think we have to officially announce Boyds signing just because Barba signed officially with Cronulla...and even more to the point why timing is a factor.

Well, that seems kind of obvious so I'm guessing you meant that tongue in cheek. Aside from the obvious like it has something to do with the Broncos and it involves contracts and money I just don't see how the two events are related. I'm wondering why anyone would think we have to officially announce Boyds signing just because Barba signed officially with Cronulla...and even more to the point why timing is a factor.
Maybe just pay attention to the obvious, like why cement a 3 year contract with a player before offloading a 2 year contract already in place?

Maybe just pay attention to the obvious, like why cement a 3 year contract with a player before offloading a 2 year contract already in place?
Oh, I don't think it made any difference, firstly if Barba was unable to go elsewhere (highly unlikely) we could still have carried him as we had saved quite a lot of money with Hannant,Hoffman,Hala and Kennedy departing. Secondly, I have no doubt WB knew full well that Barba had plenty of options and all of them lucrative. Even with the losses we have a great roster for next year with two lesser lights making me happy,namely Griffin and Garbutt. I hope Griffin gets a gig full time . We have been sorely lacking for quite a few years.

I guess it makes sense that his signing hasn't been announced yet, all the media coverage in Queensland is directed at the G20 at the moment, I'd say it'll be announced early next week.

DARREN Lockyer has urged Broncos supporters to give enigmatic Darius Boyd time to win them over.

Boyd will return to Brisbane with most fans respectful of his football ability but some unsold on the public personality they have seen over the years.

Internet forums were critical of Boyd’s conduct in refusing a television interview after Origin III this year and many remember other incidents during his time at the Dragons and Knights, including short, uncooperative responses at an “all-in’’ news conference.

Lockyer, a member of the Broncos retention committee for the past 12 months, said Boyd had never let him down as a teammate on the field in his three-season stint with Brisbane and their many representative matches together.

Boyd stopped playing for Newcastle late last season, later disclosing his battle with depression and desire to rebuild his life after three weeks at a rehabilitation clinic.

“There are two sides to the story and I think Broncos fans need to give him an opportunity,’’ Lockyer said.

“They should give Darius some time and the proof will be in the pudding. Halfway through next season, maybe then they can make a judgment on Darius.

“Off the field, he’s had his documented troubles. He reached the point last season that he had to do something about it and from what I’m hearing, he’s a changed person in some ways.

“Wayne (Bennett) is known to manage people well and you can be confident he will do a good job in that regard (with Boyd). The club has invested in Anthony Milford and Darius and it’s important we give them all the tools they need to be successful.’’

Boyd is expected to start training with the Broncos within the next 10 days.

Lockyer said he was supportive when Bennett raised the prospect of recruiting Boyd, even though it created an over-abundance of backs which saw Josh Hoffman go to the Gold Coast and Ben Barba released to join Cronulla.

“I felt at the time out of the fullback options we had Darius was the best option. I tended to agree with him (Bennett),’’ Lockyer said.

“He has more in his repertoire as a fullback (than Hoffman and Barba).

“I immediately just thought about what he brings to the team on the field. He has size, a good passing game, a good running game and he has experience.

“From a pure footy sense he has plenty of runs on the board. He’s won premierships. Even as a kid he was already a player who didn’t make a lot of mistakes.’’

I can just imagine it....Darren Lockyer,online arguing with a certain gaggle of anti- Bennett/Boyd droids with them telling him he has no idea, pointing out their superior reasoning and mocking him. Amazingly,they are so certain of their position that they actually would do that, missing altogether how ridiculous they would sound and are.

To be honest, Lockyer seems to try to defend pretty much every Broncos player. He was calling Norman was a great 5/8th for ages.

To be honest, Lockyer seems to try to defend pretty much every Broncos player. He was calling Norman was a great 5/8th for ages.
Mmmmm...you're screwing up my argument ! I thought he was saying Norman was doing a great job but really, if he said anything else I would be surprised . He couldn't win, if he said he was shit everyone would think he was wrapping himself by comparison. No matter, aside from Boyds poor end to this season he has been first class for many years. What I like though is the wisdom he is trying to pass on, namely taking time before going off about how good or bad Boyd is playing and the decision to bring him home.

“I felt at the time out of the fullback options we had Darius was the best option. I tended to agree with him (Bennett),’’ Lockyer said.

“He has more in his repertoire as a fullback (than Hoffman and Barba).

“I immediately just thought about what he brings to the team on the field. He has size, a good passing game, a good running game and he has experience.

“From a pure footy sense he has plenty of runs on the board. He’s won premierships. Even as a kid he was already a player who didn’t make a lot of mistakes.’’

Ohhh this is going to be fun in the morning.

Ohhh this is going to be fun in the morning.
No it won't... thread bans however? Quite possibly!

Sick and tired of the continuous baiting and innuendo about this. Barba is gone, Boyd will be here. That is the hand we have been dealt, so... MOVE THE **** ON!

No it won't... thread bans however? Quite possibly!

Sick and tired of the continuous baiting and innuendo about this. Barba is gone, Boyd will be here. That is the hand we have been dealt, so... MOVE THE **** ON!

Honestly I don't think I understand what baiting means. I see plenty coming from others on other threads and when I say something it's baiting. No, it's me saying something about the topic or about something that has been going on around here. Fucking hell, I've copped a massive amount of "baiting" on here and haven't whinged about it. Stop being so fucking sensitive. Whatever, if I get in trouble for posting that I'm done.

So.. our greatest ever coach and our greatest ever player both agree that Boyd was the best option at fullback over Barba & Hoffman..

At least I know I'm in good company with my opinion :lol:

Pretty much this. Lockyer supports everyone at the Broncos. He even came out in favour of Griffin.

When will this thread get changed to confirmed.

It seems that WB has his mind set on a Hunt and Milford combination in the halves. With Milford in the halves I think Boyd is the best option for fullback. He is big, strong, fast and has years of experiance in that position. Lets be honest everytime a bomb went in the air towards Barba last year everyone was holding their breath. I feel pretty confident with Boyd at the back. Im sad to see Barba go but since 2012 he has had two crappy seasons and hasnt looked anywhere near his best. Im excited about Boyd coming back. If WB picks this backline for round one I think we will be very hard to keep out.
1.Boyd
2.Vidot
3.Copley
4.Hodges
5.Kahu
6.Milford
7.Hunt

Poor old Lockyer is under Wayne's spell. He can't even think for himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Footy Fanatic
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • achievedrap
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Dazza 92
  • Bucking Beads
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.