Official - Ivan Henjak Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel sorry for Henjak and he's right, the Broncos handled that situation terribly and made him look terrible.

Big Pete said:
Feel sorry for Henjak and he's right, the Broncos handled that situation terribly and made him look terrible.
Maybe because he is terrible!
This interview didn't do him any good IMO, on the contrary. The way he comes out vengeful, the timing and all the self praise seriously angers me. :evil:

Porthoz said:
Big Pete said:
Maybe because he is terrible!
This interview didn't do him any good IMO, on the contrary. The way he comes out vengeful, the timing and all the self praise seriously angers me. :evil:

There was no way to be sure considering from the start he had planned to build the side for 2011 and beyond.

Then again, this was a guy who had two campaigns ruined by key injuries at the wrong time, making the prelims in his first season and falling one win short of making the 8 despite the club facing it's worse injury toll ever at points.

I have no issue with him having this interview, obviously there was a lot of BS being spread through the media and he has a right to defend himself publicaly and give his version. Nothing about that article seemed vindictive. In fact, he seemed happy for the boys.

Really. We had heard one of the biggest factors was your deteriorating relationship with Darren Lockyer and that outside team meetings the two of you barely spoke for six months. How did you feel you got along with Lockyer?

[Pause] Darren keeps a lot of things to himself and I might be a little similar as well, but I didn't believe there was a great strain between us.

Seems like there was problems.

I am led to believe that the dramas started when Lockyer was ruled out for the final round last season..

Bucking Beads said:
I am led to believe that the dramas started when Lockyer was ruled out for the final round last season..

What about the question about Lockyer punching Ivan in the head? WTF? Never heard that one!

The Rock said:
Lol yeah as if that would happen. Lockyer would never do that on the field let alone anywhere else.

just like Lockyer would never tackle a bar manager... [icon_drun

I didn't think he was allowed to talk about it?

Anyway. What's done is done.

I like the part where he list the players he got along with

Petero Civoniceva, Brad Thorn, Mick DeVere, Shaun Berrigan, Mitchell Dodds, Jharal Yow Yeh, Andrew McCullough.

HAHAHAHA no1 cares about Dodds. The dud kept on getting picked every week too

He didn't list any current senior players he got a long with like Lockyer, Parker, Thaiday or Hodges [icon_thumbs_do

Bit weird too, considering Parker normally spoke of his admiration of Henjak.

I like Henjaks list too. Bulla, Devere, Berro and Thorn are no longer at the club. The relationship with Dodds wont really impact on the club. That leaves Yow Yeh and McCullough from a squad of 17 and possibly the 25... ha ha ha. Henjak should never have got the job and is lucky to go down in the books as an ex broncos coach.

I also dont believe for a minute NRL clubs have been approaching him.

I don't understand how people are reading this and seeing that it makes Henjak look bad - I just think this article was Henjak's opportunity to give his side of the story and neither makes him look worse or better for it.

I agree. He's hardly being bitter, talking himself up or talking nasty tirades the club.

I just didn't think he was allowed to talk about it.

Flutterby said:
I don't understand how people are reading this and seeing that it makes Henjak look bad - I just think this article was Henjak's opportunity to give his side of the story and neither makes him look worse or better for it.

Totally agree. It's more about: "this is what happened, I wish it could have been handled differently, but what's done is done and good luck to them".

Considering the position he's now in (and I think he's right that the mystery surrounding the event has made him less desirable to other clubs), he could have easily been nastier and more bitter about it all.

Whatever people want to believe, the truth is he got the rough end of the pineapple. That's clear to see.

We overachieved with him at the helm. Like someone said, we had easily one of our worst injury tolls ever throughout last year and only JUST missed the finals, thanks to a cod ordinary halfback who a certain other coach signed for us.

In 2009 we were the team to knock the dragons out of the finals. Do you guys not remember that? His first year as coach and we eliminated the red hot favorites from the comp and got within a game of the grand final.

He should not have been sacked when he was. It shouldve been before the preseason or after this season.

I read the article.

Henjak comes across fairly balanced, but then again, why wouldn't he?

Think about it, he's also putting his name out there as a viable coach for any NRL side.

If he was sacked because he was a shit man manager, or couldn't communicate with his senior players, he's not exactly going to come out and say, yeah look, I was a shit communicator and I couldn't reach my senior players. That would be a complete deathknell for any ambitions he harboured as a senior coach.

I think the timing is unfortunate, but if he had kpi's or whatever about the aforementioned, and he failed to reach them, he had to go - it's that simple.

Football's a business, not a place for romance.

Renegade said:
I read the article.

Henjak comes across fairly balanced, but then again, why wouldn't he?

Think about it, he's also putting his name out there as a viable coach for any NRL side.

If he was sacked because he was a shit man manager, or couldn't communicate with his senior players, he's not exactly going to come out and say, yeah look, I was a shit communicator and I couldn't reach my senior players. That would be a complete deathknell for any ambitions he harboured as a senior coach.

I think the timing is unfortunate, but if he had kpi's or whatever about the aforementioned, and he failed to reach them, he had to go - it's that simple.

Football's a business, not a place for romance.

Yup.

Rough end or not - The powers that be wanted him out... so motions were put into place to make this happen. If you were in that position and you KNEW that you weren't going to use him - why use him another year? It defies logic. The timing was horrendous - I don't think anyone disagrees with that but the bottom line is the board wanted him to go.

Seems that a lot of people is willing to blindly believe into everything that the IH said...
I prefer to wait and see what the club has to say, if anything.

What I have a big problem with, is Sommerville and Cullen maintaining him when they shouldn't have. I for one, totally support Paul White for doing the necessary, even if it looks ugly and tarnishes the image of the club.

Note that Henjak does not at any time deny the damning survey, nor his volatile personality. But he's quick to point at how well he did with a young team and all the injuries, which I don't deny up to a point. But it was clearly after Griffin came into the club (remember Canberra?) that some desperation and determination started to show amongst our ranks...

The biggest difference between Hook and Henjak is what the players are willing to do on the field for their coach and eachother, and there's no better homage to Griffin than what these young Broncos have shown in 2011!

No matter how good a tactician Henjak may be, if he can't motivate his players to put in the effort on the paddock, it's all worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Mustafur
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • Evander
  • Big Del
  • cento
  • Foordy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Astro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  • Sproj
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.