Official - Ivan Henjak Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Ivan was the bloke who had to reprimand Gagai by putting him in the under 20's squad hence why he seems to get the blame....

I was a spastic Henjak basher but wow this club has treated him poorly IMO.

How much did Hodges or Lockyer weigh when making their debut?
Were they dropped as well because they were underweight for first grade?
Inglis was a skinny bastard when he first started out, now he's a fat turd.
You can't expect a kid to stack on a ton of lean body mass during one preseason.
You guys make it out he will be one of the smallest bloke running around in the nrl
He's a decent size and will get bigger with time.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mngcnb.jpg

NO HOMO but he's a sexy boi [icon_drun

Since arriving at the Broncos two years ago, Gillett has added 10kg to his frame. He put on 3kg in recent months with a diet in which he eats every two hours.

The 22-year-old played backrow, centre and five-eighth last year but hopes to finish his career in the forwards.

''My plan for this year is to cement a spot in the backrow. If not, I'll play the same role I did last year but I've been training in the second-row and that's where I'd like to stay,'' he said.

''They (Broncos coaching staff) have asked a lot of us to put on some weight so I'm at 104kg now. It's the heaviest I've been.

''Among the forwards, me and Corey (Parker) were the lightest ones so we needed to add a bit more size. I'm not eating huge meals; my breakfast, lunch and dinner are good meals but in between I'm having a lot of protein and keeping my fluids up.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/boos ... 5992583462

Gagai, who turns 20 tomorrow, recently signed a new two-year deal with the Broncos, and said he was relieved the club showed faith.

''I was really happy to get the contract because I didn't have too great a first season (in 2009). I wasn't doing the right stuff and I struggled a bit.

''But I had a good second year and I know you have to do the tough stuff if you want to get where you want to be. I was about 84kg last year and now I'm up to 92kg and I'm looking to get a little bit bigger.''

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5980137188

Bucking Beads said:
The club would be mad to get Bennett back as head coach IMO. I hardly see the point of giving Griffin the chance to coach the Broncos this season if he is not a chance of getting the gig for 2012.
You better get use to the idea.

draggx said:
And understanding a players style of play and how best to take advantage of it is expected of a top grade coach.

If Gagai is better suited as a 88kg runner so be it, use him how he is best used.
Bennett used Sam Thaiday and Dave Taylor as battering rams for years when it was painfully obvious to everyone else that they should be used out wider, its not like Henjak is the only one who does some weird things with players that we dont understand.

Big_Dave said:
How much did Hodges or Lockyer weigh when making their debut?
Were they dropped as well because they were underweight for first grade?
Inglis was a skinny bastard when he first started out, now he's a fat turd.
you cant really compare them though - when lockyer/hodges/etc started up, there were no hulking 100kg wings/centres/backs. the broncos were the ones that started that trend when they had Lote on one wing and Sailor on the other, then TC in the centres/wing. before that it was all little fellas in the backline.

but i do agree, i think its stupid to not give someone a run cause they 'only' weigh 92kg, if indeed that is why he wasnt chosen.

Wrong thread, this is not the bash Bennett thread... :roll:

Porthoz said:
Wrong thread, this is not the bash Bennett thread... :roll:
do you not understand why i mentioned it?

oh wait i forgot who im talking to. of course you dont. ffs, grow up.

I can't believe for a second Gagai was shafted ( if he was shafted) because he did not put enough weight on during the off season.

Griffin gives Sailor's cousin a chance to shine
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6010985622

He was expected to press for NRL honours in the pre-season, but was sent back to the Toyota Cup side after failing to meet weight targets -- he was asked to add several kilograms to his frame.

NRL prospect Gagai ready to show wares
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8216545

However his path to first grade so far has been blocked more because of his attitude off the field than any concerns about his ability on it.
"After a while I realised they don't just want players on the field, they want players off the field they can trust and rely on and are disciplined and committed.

"Hook (Griffin) who was my first coach and Ivan (Henjak) both spoke to me about it and a few of the boys around the club told me to pull my head in.

"I realised I had to pull my head in and become the person I needed to be off the field and stamp myself as someone who wanted to be a Bronco."
He turned into an eating machine to bulk up from 84kgs to 93kgs in case he has to line up against the likes of Manu Vatuvei and Lote Tuqiri.

"I really struggled to put on the weight but they wanted me to get to 93 kilos (from 84 kilos in 2010)," lsaid Gagai.

"I was eating whatever I could get my hands on .. I'd go to Maccas, KFC, whatever was in the cupboard, I didn't stop eating."

I wish I had the excuse I was told to put on weight when I go to KFC...

nopatience101 said:
Griffin gives Sailor's cousin a chance to shine
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6010985622

He was expected to press for NRL honours in the pre-season, but was sent back to the Toyota Cup side after failing to meet weight targets -- he was asked to add several kilograms to his frame.

NRL prospect Gagai ready to show wares
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8216545

[quote:3qeem2sn]However his path to first grade so far has been blocked more because of his attitude off the field than any concerns about his ability on it.
"After a while I realised they don't just want players on the field, they want players off the field they can trust and rely on and are disciplined and committed.

"Hook (Griffin) who was my first coach and Ivan (Henjak) both spoke to me about it and a few of the boys around the club told me to pull my head in.

"I realised I had to pull my head in and become the person I needed to be off the field and stamp myself as someone who wanted to be a Bronco."
He turned into an eating machine to bulk up from 84kgs to 93kgs in case he has to line up against the likes of Manu Vatuvei and Lote Tuqiri.

"I really struggled to put on the weight but they wanted me to get to 93 kilos (from 84 kilos in 2010)," lsaid Gagai.

"I was eating whatever I could get my hands on .. I'd go to Maccas, KFC, whatever was in the cupboard, I didn't stop eating."
[/quote:3qeem2sn]

He was already pushing 90kgs before he was dropped.
Name me the last outside back rookie who was dropped because he couldn't reach 90kgs+ ??

I doubt there was one, Gagai had an attitude problem and Henjak didn't like it.

Also - it may not have been simply that he didn't reach the required weight target, but his attitude towards trying to achieve it or his attitude when he didn't achieve it. The coaching staff may have thought he fell short because he didn't do ther required things or that he basically just shrugged it off and didn't care he didn't meet the target. Whereas if he has done 100% everything asked of him in trying to achieve his target or showed some care if/when he didn't; then he probably would have been forgiven the missing couple of kgs.

Then again - we are all once again just working on assumptions, we have no idea what really went down

If Gay Guy wants some weight he can have some of mine.

Lets put this in perspective.
Gagai is apprently around 93kgs now.
Akuila Uate is 96kgs and is 3 years older as well.
Uate also has the advanatage of 2 seasons in the top grade .
Henjak wasn't asking too much from the young man.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6011631704

Canberra's strength and conditioning coach Matt Ford revealed last night that Dugan had beefed up 6kg over summer and would start this year's premiership at 95kg.

Interesting to read Dugan has bulked up over the preason to a whopping 95kgs!!
That is only 2kgs heavier than Gagai [icon_shady
Imagine what Gagai is going to weigh next season??? He'll be at least nudging over the 100kg mark!!

My first post for the new season (not that i have posted many before - I generally just come on here to read whats going and to gauge the feeling of other Broncs fans and latch on to the occasional rumour or twelve).

After what has happened with Ivan being sacked and not knowing what "really" happened and reading all the "rumours" here, and those in the Courier Mail, I can only come to the following conclusions about the upcoming season:

I'm a true Broncos fan so don't care what has happened, all I can do is throw all of my support behind hook and the boys as passionately as ever and hope that they perform to the best of their ability. I'm still predicting a great season and don't know how TAB Spotsbet could have us at 21-1 for the premiership (Am going to be throwing a bit on the afl/nrl double with us and collingwood {great value}). After looking at every team's squad I still think we should be able to challenge for the minor premiership and bring it home for another title - I mean, man on man I believe that our squad is as good as any (look at our team for tonight's trial and who has to come back in to the team - very strong squad IMO.

With that off my chest, I'll try to get back on topic. Ivan is gone and Griffin is in (who cares why he got the boot, let's move on). I can honestly see Griffo becoming 2011 NRL Coach of the Year when we finish high in the top 8 and are a force to be reckonned with in the finals (Possibly a biased broncos fan oppinion, but i don't really think so). Shit I can't wait till the 11th of March at suncorp and I'm sitting in my season ticket seat. Well, that wasn't really on topic about Henjak (Henjack) getting the boot. What I would really like to see is Griffo become a long term coach at red hill (say for 10 years or so) and pick up a couple of premierships (from what I have read, he has the pedigree to be a great 1st grade coach and I can't see why he can't do it. I would rather him do that than see Wayne come back. [Even though I am one of the biggest wayne fans ever I just can't see him coming back home and I don't really think that it would be the greatest thing ever for the club - give griffo a long term chance I say].

My appologies again for being way off topic, this post may not have made that much sense, but I am just too excited for the NRL season (PS I went to the reds v force game last weekend and it was absolute shite football. All I could think about was how long it was till the NRL kick off!!!).

PS - I look forward to contributing much more to the forum this season and getting involved in some interseting banter between fellow broncos fanatics such as you all.

The full story, from Henjak's point of view that is...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...an-empty-promise/story-e6frep5x-1226032544479

Some things in there make sense, others don't, but as a whole, it's too self praising and putting the blame on everyone but himself.

Most intriguing the reference to Griffin and Gee as the originators of his sacking.

I wonder whether the club is gonna respond to what are some pretty serious accusations! eusa_think

As far as I'm concerned, I'm 100% comfortable with the club's decision, and tbh, this interview strenghtens that belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Fatboy
  • Harry Sack
  • simplythebest
  • NSW stables
  • Santa
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Ondi
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Evander
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.