Official - Ivan Henjak Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brizz said:
By his continual picking of completely out of form Wallace and WInterstein week after week last year Henjak proved to me he wasn't up to the gig. Glad he is gone even if I would have preferred it happen in December. Griffin has the resume/credentials to make the job his and hopefully he builds a good rapport with the players because clearly the likes of Lockyer were a massive part in Henjak getting axed.

What about Bennett constantly picking Michaels every single week despite him being horrendous? What about Bennett's extreme amount of uncreativity week in week out towards the end of his reign at Brisbane? Shane Perry each week? One out crap? That showed me he wasn't up to the gig with Brisbane. I don't care how he has performed since leaving. He is a toxic influence on Brisbane nowdays. Having him back would be a horrendous idea.

Silence said:
The Brizz said:
By his continual picking of completely out of form Wallace and WInterstein week after week last year Henjak proved to me he wasn't up to the gig. Glad he is gone even if I would have preferred it happen in December. Griffin has the resume/credentials to make the job his and hopefully he builds a good rapport with the players because clearly the likes of Lockyer were a massive part in Henjak getting axed.

What about Bennett constantly picking Michaels every single week despite him being horrendous? What about Bennett's extreme amount of uncreativity week in week out towards the end of his reign at Brisbane? Shane Perry each week? One out crap? That showed me he wasn't up to the gig with Brisbane. I don't care how he has performed since leaving. He is a toxic influence on Brisbane nowdays. Having him back would be a horrendous idea.

I agree with you 100% and if you were around here during the 2004-2008 period you would know how vocal I have been in my criticisms of Bennett. I don't want him back because I want Griffin to succeed and because I think as good as Bennett is/was his time with us had expired.

BroncoMatt said:
Jeba said:
The Rock said:
Even though it's not in first grade, Griffin's record is rather impressive. If he had that sort of record in the NRL he'd be classed as a super coach...(Nearly..)

So I don't see how he could have so much success in lower grades and have much less success in first grade. Obviously there are some big differences, but if he can win a few grand finals in reserve grades then I can't see him failing in first grade.

Particularly his effort in 2006 to take Redcliffe to the Premiership. Look at what they were up against in the grand final:

1. Nick Parfitt
2. Denan Kemp
3. Jason Moon
4. Jamie Simpson
5. Steve Michaels
6. Joel Moon
7. Ben Green
8. Nick Kenny
9. John TeReo
10. Ben Vaeau
11. Chris Muckert
12. Derrick Watkins
13. Greg Eastwood

14. Dave Taylor
15. Joe Clarke
16. Scott Minto
17. Fraser Anderson

Nobody gave the Dolphins a hope and rightly so. But they crushed the Clydesdales 27-6, and not to mention turned it right around after being beaten 56-22 by the Clydies 2 weeks earlier.

And just in case anyone wanted to see some highlights of that 2006 QCup Grand Final...........

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedcliff ... _6gPfDoV40

[icon_wink
I think it's too soon to be bringing this up Matt. :evil: [icon_non

But that day at Toowoomba when we thrashed the fins 56-22 - we can talk about that all you want.

Silence said:
The Brizz said:

Err... Henjak was the one who continued to pick Michaels when he was horribly out of form. Shane Perry was our half back in 2006 (what happened that year?). In 2008 we had to have been close to the most entertaining side in the comp; just think of all of those long range tries we scored.

You might be a bit confused.

Funny how one season rewrites history, Michaels was fine up until his injury in 2008.

It was 2009 where he was poor and again, there really wasn't much in the way of options...

Flutterby said:
Boyd has already said he intends to follow Bennett wherever he goes and I get the feeling WB would do everything in his power to make it happen as well
Boyd looked pretty good at 5/8 in the charity shield. Wayne has also likened him to Lockyer in his cool head under pressure and ability to make the right decisions when it matters. Could be a good successor with Ben Hunt being a more creative half back & Hoffman at the back. 8-)

Silence said:
The Brizz said:

Michaels was far from horrendous when Bennett was coach.
As for uncreativity, it's the safer teams that have been more successful in recent times. Dragons, Storm etc have done well in the finals, while the exciting teams like the Tigers and the Titans couldn't match them when finals came.
Shane Perry...well, we didn't really have anyone else who was better. He had tried a lot of other players in the halves, but they've all been worse.

Alec said:
Shane Perry...well, we didn't really have anyone else who was better. He had tried a lot of other players in the halves, but they've all been worse.

People seem to forget the important role he played in that Premiership. We tried a few halfbacks that season, and he was the only one who provided us with the organisation and direction that we needed so that Lockyer didn't have too much weight on his shoulders. And geez he had a good game in the Grand Final too.

The Brizz said:
Silence said:
[quote="The Brizz":24ptert4]By his continual picking of completely out of form Wallace and WInterstein week after week last year Henjak proved to me he wasn't up to the gig. Glad he is gone even if I would have preferred it happen in December. Griffin has the resume/credentials to make the job his and hopefully he builds a good rapport with the players because clearly the likes of Lockyer were a massive part in Henjak getting axed.

I agree with you 100% and if you were around here during the 2004-2008 period you would know how vocal I have been in my criticisms of Bennett. I don't want him back because I want Griffin to succeed and because I think as good as Bennett is/was his time with us had expired.[/quote:24ptert4]

You're either a Bennett fan or a critic. One person agrees, so at least the opinion is valid.

The Brizz said:
By his continual picking of completely out of form Wallace and WInterstein week after week last year Henjak proved to me he wasn't up to the gig.

Because that is a significant criteria a coach should be judged on :roll:

BTW, is anyone else a little concerned that the findings of the most comprehensive review ever undertaken of our football department were not acted on? If you can believe what is floating around at the moment, the major recommendation was to make Ivan redundant. Why was this not acted upon last year when the report was received?

Surely the club has gambled on problems righting themselves and it has now backfired in their face.

I've not doubt it was a very meticulous process, as to recommend sacking any coach is not a suggestion to be taken lightly. If Ivan seemingly agreed (in offering his resignation), why did Bruno move against the recommendations within the report?

m1c said:
BTW, is anyone else a little concerned that the findings of the most comprehensive review ever undertaken of our football department were not acted on? If you can believe what is floating around at the moment, the major recommendation was to make Ivan redundant. Why was this not acted upon last year when the report was received?

Surely the club has gambled on problems righting themselves and it has now backfired in their face.

I've not doubt it was a very meticulous process, as to recommend sacking any coach is not a suggestion to be taken lightly. If Ivan seemingly agreed (in offering his resignation), why did Bruno move against the recommendations within the report?

From what I read the board voted 4-1 to accept Henjak's resignation in November. But Bruno and Somerville overruled them.

W. T. F.

Apparently, he and Sommerville were the only ones wanting to keep Henjak. Given one was chairman and the other CEO, they had their way.
The reasons for that, one can only guess. Maybe Cullen didn't want to leave the club on such a negative note, maybe he and/or Sommerville had personal stakes in maintaining Henjak. Maybe they thought they could prevent Benny from committing to the Broncos and go somewhere else before Henjak had to go.
Whatever it was, White was left with the ugly task that Cullen should've taken upon himself, as it is more and more apparent that Henjak's tenure was untenable.

Either way Chris Johns in today's paper was correct in his observations that the Broncos haven't had strong leadership for a number of years now. That looks to have changed with the addition of Paul White. I don't at all begrudge him for the events of the last few days, if anything it only serves to substantiate his character.

I love how one of the criticisms of Henjak is his lack of communication with players; but then they are talking about him coming back to club in either a player recruitment or elite player development role - sure both roles in which good communication is essential.

Anyway I am sick of all the negative talk, I don't want to be one of those clubs where there is public bitching and back-stabbing and inuendo. What's done is done - we have new coach and need to give and the team our full support.

Cullen, who took a 12-month leave of absence on January 1, is due to return to the club's board next year.

Interesting.

Flutterby said:
I love how one of the criticisms of Henjak is his lack of communication with players; but then they are talking about him coming back to club in either a player recruitment or elite player development role - sure both roles in which good communication is essential.

Anyway I am sick of all the negative talk, I don't want to be one of those clubs where there is public bitching and back-stabbing and inuendo. What's done is done - we have new coach and need to give and the team our full support.
I would say it's more a lack of tact and leadership qualities, than communication, which in a head coach role are indespensible, while much less so in the other roles. eusa_think

Although I understand the stance taken to keep the reasons behind this situation confidential, it shows that any public bitching, back-stabbing or innuendo won't come from the club's official ranks.

On the other hand, it does increase the speculation and all kinds of opinions more or less informed on what really happened.

I guess it's the lesser of two evils. [icon_shru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.