[Official] - Milford signs with Broncos

Now who's wrong for saying Hoffman is dog balls? Thank **** we don't have Wal...

Considering the dogs were looking to replace him with Dugan at the end of 2011 I'll trust my own eyes and Haslers instead of tries scored thanks.

Adrian Purtell scored a fair few tries over his injury plagued career and he was poor to below average

Whatever dude. His stats show he hasn 't had a poor full season in NRL but you're right, your 'eyes' are more important than the stats that show he is very much an above average player and has been throughout his career to date...

We looked at other fullbacks than Milford at one point too. By your logic that must make Milford shit...

Assuming Milford honours his agreement with us, and Hoffman stays, we could have a 2015 backline of:

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman
6. Milford
7. B.Hunt

With Milford assuming the playmaking reigns along side Hunt, Barba could return to his natural game.

And Imo, that is a devastating backline capable of mountains of points. Keep the same forward pack and we will be a real premiership threat once again.

Er yeah.

15 tries from 20 games in his first full season of NRL in 2010.

Equal leading top try scorer in 2011 with 23 tries for the season.

Dally M winner in 2012 plus leading try scorer in the NRL and named 18th man for Qld Origin side.

Drama plagued 2013 season but still scored 10 tries from 17 games played.

That isn't 'poor to average' by any means.

Don't forget he's recovering/carrying an injury.

Here are a few things for you Broncos to consider. First lets address the round 13 anti tampering rule...

Anti-Tampering Guidelines

The current ‘anti-tampering’ guidelines state that the NRL will not register a player’s contract with a new club until after Round Thirteen in the final year of that player’s existing contract with his current club. The only exception to this is where the existing club agrees that the new contract should be registered.

There is no rule to prevent clubs talking to players at any time. There is an acceptance that nobody likes to see players negotiating with a new team but there is also the reality that players in the game do change clubs and that those discussions can take place over an extended period.

Rather than introduce ‘discussion deadlines’ that have in the past been shown to be ineffective, the NRL reserves the right not to register the contract and that ensures that the player’s existing club has a fair chance of retaining its player if it wants to.

NRL Salary Cap - NRL.com

The Broncos contract with Milford is completely worthless until after round 13.

Now lets have a look into what has happened in the past and what players say when they are in this situation...

Eels sign Papalii

Parramatta have announced the signing of exciting Canberra back-rower Josh Papalii on a three-year contract from the start of the 2014 NRL season.

The Queensland under-18s representative enjoyed a break-out year last season having made his debut in 2011 and is the first big-name signing since Ricky Stuart's arrival as coach.

"The time I have spent with the Canberra Raiders have been the best of my life," Papalii said.

"The club and the fans have been so good to me and my family and I will always be grateful.

"Heading to Parramatta next season is a new and exciting challenge, they are a club on the rise and I am looking forward to being a part of what Ricky Stuart and the team up there are doing.

"My first priority though is playing good footy for the Raiders this year and going out on a high."

Stuart said he's excited by what his new charge can bring to his young forward pack.

"Josh is an outstanding young footballer and will bring with him all the attributes we are looking for in player at the Parramatta Eels," he said.

"We are a club building for the future and signing a young man of Josh's ability represents that."

http://au.rd.yahoo.com/sport/rss/ru...icle/-/16212887/eels-confirm-papalii-signing/

Ok so the Eels "signed" Papalii, so how did he respond on the field after he signed?

Papalii on song as Raiders bite Dogs

IT WAS his first day at the office for the Canberra Raiders after lodging his leave notice.

But Josh Papalii showed no signs his pending move to Parramatta will be a distraction with a solid performance in Canberra's 22-18 trial win over Canterbury at Goulburn on Saturday night. The Raiders were rocked on Friday by news the star back-rower had signed a three-year deal worth around $1.5million with the Eels, starting next season.

On Saturday night it was business as usual for the 20-year-old, who was off limits to the media afterwards, but is keen to end his Raiders career on a high. Parramatta cannot lodge Papalii's contract with the NRL until after round 13, giving Canberra time to change his mind.

Now the fight begins...

Canberra to fight hard to keep Josh Papalii despite rising star signing deal with Parramatta

Canberra and Parramatta are locked in the first contract tug-of-war of the new season, with Josh Papalii contemplating pulling out of a three-year deal with the Eels.

The Eels announced Papalii as a prize signing last Friday, but the Raiders are lobbying hard to convince him to renege and remain at the club.

Parramatta have already lodged Papalii's contract with the NRL, but as his existing club, the Raiders have until round 13 to convince him to perform a back-flip.

In a signal of the impeding fight between the Eels and Raiders, Canberra chairman John McIntyre said: "It's very disappointing when you develop players and this sort of things happens, but it may not be done and dusted yet. I'll leave it at that. It's in the hands of our club management."

The concern for Eels CEO Ken Edwards and coach Ricky Stuart will be Papalii's track-record when it comes to performing back-flips, having turned his back on the Kiwis to commit to Queensland.

"There's a big difference between a letter of intent and a long-form contact," Edwards said.

"This has been something that we've been working towards for a number of months.

"We'd expect Canberra to be fighting hard to try to keep Josh, he's an outstanding young talent.

"But we're completely comfortable with the way the negotiations were conducted. Josh has told us he's extremely excited about coming to Parramatta and we expect him to honour the deal."

Papalii's agent Col Davis approached the Eels last year to gauge interest in the boom rookie.

After months of negotiations, Papalii signed the Eels contract with his mother sitting alongside him after the Raiders were unable to compete with the $1 million offer.

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

The Eels, just like the Broncos, wrongly believed that their "long-form contract" and negotiations were water tight.

No chance of Papalii slipping Eels' net

PARRAMATTA chief executive Ken Edwards has slammed suggestions the club's star recruit Josh Papalii will turn his back on the Eels amid speculation that he signed with the club under duress.

The young Raider put pen to paper with Parra on a three-year deal during the week but the Raiders have been trying to get him to change his mind.

''We are fully aware of suggestions that he signed under some kind of duress but that's totally wrong,'' Edwards said.

''Those kind of comments wouldn't be coming from the kid himself. There's no way that would happen and I can understand if the Raiders are upset because he is a very, very special talent. We did this by the book, to the letter of the law, and then some. I can tell you how far we went to make sure he was comfortable even after he agreed to our terms. Ricky [Stuart] told him to go back to the Raiders one more time to see if they could match our offer and keep him but they didn't get anywhere near it. To say he signed under duress is almost laughable. His mum was there when he did the deal and, like him, she was delighted that he signed to come to us.''

This column understands that Papalii and his management actually approached the Eels to see if they were interested in signing the 20-year-old forward.

''What I want our fans to know is that Josh will be at Parramatta and we are delighted to have him join the club,'' Edwards said.

''It's an indication that the club is moving in the right direction that a player of his ability and obvious potential wanted to sign up with us.''

Several attempts were made to contact Raiders boss Don Furner but he did not respond.

The truth behind Papalii's contract with the Eels is revealed...

Raiders issue Papalii contract deadline

THE Canberra Raiders want Josh Papalii to decide on his future before this week's season opener, with the second-rower still torn over whether to stay in the capital or honour a contract with Parramatta.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner says the club is being patient, but hopes the situation will be resolved before Sunday's round one clash at Penrith.

Canberra are liaising with potential third-party sponsors in a bid to match the Eels' offer, and their chances of retaining Papalii are rising by the day.

Under NRL rules, the 20-year-old has until round 13 to accept a three-season, $1.5 million deal he signed with Parramatta three weeks ago.

The Raiders are confident lifestyle and family factors will help to convince Papalii to stay with the Green Machine.

Canberra helped the South Logan junior's family relocate from Brisbane to Canberra last year, and he has younger siblings already settled at school.

Fairfax Media understands the Raiders are disappointed with how some aspects of the negotiations have been handled.

The club was informed Papalii had signed a deal with the Eels almost two weeks later, when they met his manager, Col Davis.

It is understood Canberra were told the Eels' offer was $400,000 a season, and if they could match it he would stay.

They did, but by then Papalii had signed his $500,000 Parramatta deal.

A source close to the Raiders said:

Papalii was advised to sign the Eels' contract after being told of the round 13 clause, giving him a ''safety net'' in case Canberra failed to come close to Parramatta's offer. It also indicates he was aware the option of staying with Canberra remained even if he signed.

❏ Parramatta were advised not to issue the press release dispatched to media outlets on Friday, February 22, trumpeting Papalii's signing because he was having second thoughts.

It has also emerged Papalii indicated to teammates the day before the Eels' announcement he wanted to stay loyal to Canberra.

Papalii's reputation received a significant boost when he successfully targeted Cronulla hitman Paul Gallen in the Raiders' 34-16 elimination final win at Canberra Stadium last year.

NSW skipper Gallen made uncharacteristic errors and accused Papalii of taking ''dog shots''.

Raiders issue indecisive Papalii with contract deadline

Now Papalii backflips...

Papalii turns back on Eels

Parramatta will take their fight for Josh Papalii to the courts after the promising forward agreed to terms on a three-year contract to remain in the nation's capital.

Despite signing a contract with the Eels, Papalii has agreed to terms on a $1.3 million deal with the Raiders, exercising a right which allows the holding club up until round 13 to re-sign players.

"Over the past couple of weeks I've spent a lot of time talking with my family about this decision and I'm comfortable that it's the best thing for me, my career and my family," Papalii said. "It's been a really tough decision to make, but in the end I had to do what was right for my family and I know I've done that.

"The Raiders have given me the chance to start my NRL career and I've made a home in Canberra for myself and my family," he said.

Fairfax Media has been told that the Eels will take legal action to ensure Papalii honours his original commitment to them.

"A contract is a contract - we won't be letting him go without a fight," a source said.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club were ready to move on and let Papalii continue with his career.

"Josh is an important member of our club, he's come through our junior development system and it's important for us to retain as many of our talented juniors as we can," Furner said. "We've agreed to terms with him for a further three seasons and we're excited about his future at this club.

Earlier on Friday, Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart was confident he had landed his first big-name signing for the club.

"I'm not nervous because he signed a legal document in front of his mother, in front of his manager and with our recruitment manager Peter Nolan," Stuart said.

"No I'm not nervous. I'm very excited by the signing. He's going to be a great asset. I know there's been a lot of pressure on him which is unfair because he signed a legal document and he was happy.

"I think it puts too much pressure on players to make decisions too soon. I think it's a rule that we can certainly look at. But that's what we have to deal with at the moment. They are the guidelines and have done everything sound in regards to signing Josh and as a club we're very excited about that signing. It's black and white, he signed a legal document."

Papalii's backflip may lead to legal stoush

Despite threats from the Eels of legal action, once they calmed down they realised they had no case and backed down. The contract was worthless until round 13, just as Milf's contract with he Broncos is also worthless until round 13. Even Sticky thought that the contract with Papalii was water tight, I bet he's glad he was wrong now!

But forget Papalii for a moment, this is the article you should all take note of. Written before his manager started the bidding war and told him to shut up, it reveals what is really in Milford's heart and what his plans have been all along. Everything he said is coming true...

Milford wants to make Canberra home

Anthony Milford’s brilliant match-sealer earned praise from Johnathan Thurston, and Canberra teammate Josh Papalii hopes they will be ‘‘Raiders forever’’ after the youngster’s stunning display in Sunday’s 26-18 win over North Queensland.

Playing fullback in the NRL for the first time after being blooded as a bench utility, whiz kid Milford scored a scintillating individual try to seal a crucial Raiders win at Canberra Stadium.

Milford’s shift to fullback was forced by a host of injuries to Raiders outside backs, with Reece Robinson shifting to wing.

It reaped dividends when he embarrassed Cowboys halfback Robert Lui with devastating footwork and speed to score a 60-metre try off a scrum in the dying minutes.

Milford, who turns 19 on Thursday, was personally congratulated by Cowboys superstar Thurston after the game - ‘‘well done mate, great game, good luck for the rest of the year.’’

He was overwhelmed by the gesture, but it was the moment which confirmed he has arrived as a bona fide NRL star.

‘‘That was massive for me coming from JT, I looked up to him when I was growing up,’’ he said with a big smile.

‘‘I was lucky enough with injuries I got a go at fullback and I was pretty nervous, but tried to stay as relaxed as I can.’’

Off-contract at the end of 2014, Milford wants to take the next big step toward signing with the Raiders long term by moving his Queensland-based family down to the capital after this season.

It’s a move which helped Maroons forward Papalii overcome crippling homesickness early on at the Raiders, and he has since progressed into the Maroons team.

Milford and Papalii forged a close bond growing up in Brisbane suburb Souths-Logan, a fruitful catchment area for the Raiders.

Like Papalii he initially yearned for home when he first came down, but is hopeful of convincing his family to move down.

‘‘I’m signed until next year but I’m looking forward to moving my parents down, I’m trying to move them down at the end of the year,’’ Milford said.

‘‘They’ve come down this week for the second time, so if they like it enough I’ll move the whole family down.’’

Papalii is certain to retain his Queensland place for the series decider when the it is named this week.

He was brilliant the Cowboys, his man of the match performance including a classy solo try of his own in the first half.

Raiders prop David Shillington did his changes of a Maroons return no harm with a huge 170-metre effort, but is unlikely to be recalled unless injuries strike.

They may yet play together for Samoa in this year’s World Cup but Papalii, who is signed to Canberra until 2016, wants Milford in lime green long term.

‘‘He’s talking about moving his family down and hopefully he does, hopefully we can become Raiders forever,’’ he said.

‘‘Tony’s going pretty well, it’s very important to stay grounds and work on the things he needs to.

‘‘Hopefully he has a long career at the Raiders, but first and foremost we have to take care of family.’’

Despite growing up on their doorstep, Milford said the intense battle for Brisbane Broncos scholarships convinced him to take a different path.

‘‘Growing up I stayed away from them, I knew they had a lot of kids in my age group,’’ he said.

‘‘They’ve got too many players and when you’re young, it’s hard to crack.’’

Raiders skipper Terry Campese said it is vital the sides gives Papalii and Milford as many chances as possible to tear defensive lines apart.

‘‘As a team we have to learn to give Papa better opportunities one on one, and same with Tony,’’ he said.

‘‘You saw with Tony’s try if we get him one on one, he can’t be touched.’’

Canberra coach David Furner was straight to the point when asked about Milford’s moment of class.

‘‘I was certainly riding him home from that scrum, that’s for sure,’’ he said.

Milford wants to make Canberra home | Kiama Independent-Lake Times

Just in case you missed it, lets read one quote again...

‘‘I’m signed until next year but I’m looking forward to moving my parents down, I’m trying to move them down at the end of the year,’’ Milford said.

Guess what? Milford's family have moved to Canberra, just like Papalii's did before him. Do you get it now? Milford wants to stay at the Raiders and always has, this contract war is all about him getting the best deal he possibly can, which is fair enough. Milford is doing exactly what Papalii did before him. Milford doesn't want to join he Broncos, his manager is simply using them as a bargaining tool to drive up Tony's eventual contract renewal price with the Raiders.

So because Papalii did it, that automatically means that Milford will do it? There's absolutely no possible way that he genuinely wants to play for the Broncos, everything he, his family and his manager said about him being homesick was a complete and utter lie purely to get a bit more money out of Canberra?

The odds if it happening are about 50:1 in my books, but if it does happen, Milford will be hated in the entire Rugby League community due to using his fathers ill health for more money, it will virtually ruin his career.

FFS was that post fucking necessary took me 10 mins to get to the end of to skip.

And aren't you going to look like a complete dipshit when Milford honours his deal with us. Ive been to Canberra his parents have likely moved down there to ensure Sticky and the Raiders can't change his mind so the can leave that hell hole at seasons end

So because Papalii did it, that automatically means that Milford will do it? There's absolutely no possible way that he genuinely wants to play for the Broncos, everything he, his family and his manager said about him being homesick was a complete and utter lie purely to get a bit more money out of Canberra?

The odds if it happening are about 50:1 in my books, but if it does happen, Milford will be hated in the entire Rugby League community due to using his fathers ill health for more money, it will virtually ruin his career.

It would have been a hell of a lot easier and less messy for Milford and his manager to just go to the Raiders and say something like "unless the next offer is over $1 million Milford walks at the end of the contract"

No, he'll just be hated by the Broncos, just as Papalii is hated by the Eels. I'm sure he can live with haha. He will also be loved and supported by the Raiders and their fans, which is all that matters. Being loved or hated by fans of other clubs is irrelevant.

If Milford does backflip he'll be saying a few things to the rugby league community.

1. I'm a dishonest person. Don't trust me to keep my word when you offer me a contract.
2. I'm prepared to use my fathers health issues for my own benefit
3. I want my season to be over before September so I can go on holidays

FFS was that post fucking necessary took me 10 mins to get to the end of to skip.

And aren't you going to look like a complete dipshit when Milford honours his deal with us. Ive been to Canberra his parents have likely moved down there to ensure Sticky and the Raiders can't change his mind so the can leave that hell hole at seasons end

His parents have moved down because that was the plan all along, or did you ignore the quote where Milford said he was planning on moving them down? Canberra is a wonderful place to live and a far nicer environment than Brisbane/Logan. Plus Canberra has a first class health system (which is obviously important to Halo), while Brisbane and QLD's in general are absolutely disastrous, especially now that Newman has decided to completely trash it. QLD health was bad enough already before the Liberals got their incompetent hands on it. There is absolutely no doubt that Canberra is a far better place to live and that Milfs dad will be able to access better medical care in the capital should he require it.

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't bother reading your post...

BTW, why would you waste a beautiful Sunday afternoon coming here to troll... Oh wait, I forgot your from Canberra, its probably an awful day

If Milford does backflip he'll be saying a few things to the rugby league community.

1. I'm a dishonest person. Don't trust me to keep my word when you offer me a contract.
2. I'm prepared to use my fathers health issues for my own benefit
3. I want my season to be over before September so I can go on holidays

Nope it will be more like:

1. I'm playing by the NRLs rules as many others have done before me.
2. I'm prepared to put my dad's health first by moving him somewhere where he will get better care and also getting the best deal I can so I can look after my family financially.
3. All players on holiday at the end of the season and I'm no different.

No, he'll just be hated by the Broncos, just as Papalii is hated by the Eels. I'm sure he can live with haha. He will also be loved and supported by the Raiders and their fans, which is all that matters. Being loved or hated by fans of other clubs is irrelevant.

Because the Raiders are one of the top two supported sides in the game with top two memberships and have an origin or two in their home ground every year with potential third party deals coming out of the nostrils. Wish we had those things. :(

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't bother reading your post...

BTW, why would you waste a beautiful Sunday afternoon coming here to troll... Oh wait, I forgot your from Canberra, its probably an awful day

If you didnt read it then you aren't qualified to comment on it. Here is the quote so you can have some comprehension of what I'm saying:

By the way I don't live in Canberra, but I did spend my entire childhood there and can verify that it is a wonderful place to live. If you must know I live in Byron Bay, 30 mins from QLD, and yes it is an aweful day actually, huge storms all day. The same storms are traveling up and passing over Logan and the Gold Coast as I type this. So much for "the sunshine state" huh haha

Here are a few things for you Broncos to consider. First lets address the round 13 anti tampering rule...

Anti-Tampering Guidelines

The current ‘anti-tampering’ guidelines state that the NRL will not register a player’s contract with a new club until after Round Thirteen in the final year of that player’s existing contract with his current club. The only exception to this is where the existing club agrees that the new contract should be registered.

There is no rule to prevent clubs talking to players at any time. There is an acceptance that nobody likes to see players negotiating with a new team but there is also the reality that players in the game do change clubs and that those discussions can take place over an extended period.

Rather than introduce ‘discussion deadlines’ that have in the past been shown to be ineffective, the NRL reserves the right not to register the contract and that ensures that the player’s existing club has a fair chance of retaining its player if it wants to.

NRL Salary Cap - NRL.com

The Broncos contract with Milford is completely worthless until after round 13.

Now lets have a look into what has happened in the past and what players say when they are in this situation...

Eels sign Papalii

Parramatta have announced the signing of exciting Canberra back-rower Josh Papalii on a three-year contract from the start of the 2014 NRL season.

The Queensland under-18s representative enjoyed a break-out year last season having made his debut in 2011 and is the first big-name signing since Ricky Stuart's arrival as coach.

"The time I have spent with the Canberra Raiders have been the best of my life," Papalii said.

"The club and the fans have been so good to me and my family and I will always be grateful.

"Heading to Parramatta next season is a new and exciting challenge, they are a club on the rise and I am looking forward to being a part of what Ricky Stuart and the team up there are doing.

"My first priority though is playing good footy for the Raiders this year and going out on a high."

Stuart said he's excited by what his new charge can bring to his young forward pack.

"Josh is an outstanding young footballer and will bring with him all the attributes we are looking for in player at the Parramatta Eels," he said.

"We are a club building for the future and signing a young man of Josh's ability represents that."

http://au.rd.yahoo.com/sport/rss/ru...icle/-/16212887/eels-confirm-papalii-signing/

Ok so the Eels "signed" Papalii, so how did he respond on the field after he signed?

IT WAS his first day at the office for the Canberra Raiders after lodging his leave notice.

But Josh Papalii showed no signs his pending move to Parramatta will be a distraction with a solid performance in Canberra's 22-18 trial win over Canterbury at Goulburn on Saturday night. The Raiders were rocked on Friday by news the star back-rower had signed a three-year deal worth around $1.5million with the Eels, starting next season.

On Saturday night it was business as usual for the 20-year-old, who was off limits to the media afterwards, but is keen to end his Raiders career on a high. Parramatta cannot lodge Papalii's contract with the NRL until after round 13, giving Canberra time to change his mind.

Now the fight begins...

Canberra to fight hard to keep Josh Papalii despite rising star signing deal with Parramatta

Canberra and Parramatta are locked in the first contract tug-of-war of the new season, with Josh Papalii contemplating pulling out of a three-year deal with the Eels.

The Eels announced Papalii as a prize signing last Friday, but the Raiders are lobbying hard to convince him to renege and remain at the club.

Parramatta have already lodged Papalii's contract with the NRL, but as his existing club, the Raiders have until round 13 to convince him to perform a back-flip.

In a signal of the impeding fight between the Eels and Raiders, Canberra chairman John McIntyre said: "It's very disappointing when you develop players and this sort of things happens, but it may not be done and dusted yet. I'll leave it at that. It's in the hands of our club management."

The concern for Eels CEO Ken Edwards and coach Ricky Stuart will be Papalii's track-record when it comes to performing back-flips, having turned his back on the Kiwis to commit to Queensland.

"There's a big difference between a letter of intent and a long-form contact," Edwards said.

"This has been something that we've been working towards for a number of months.

"We'd expect Canberra to be fighting hard to try to keep Josh, he's an outstanding young talent.

"But we're completely comfortable with the way the negotiations were conducted. Josh has told us he's extremely excited about coming to Parramatta and we expect him to honour the deal."

Papalii's agent Col Davis approached the Eels last year to gauge interest in the boom rookie.

After months of negotiations, Papalii signed the Eels contract with his mother sitting alongside him after the Raiders were unable to compete with the $1 million offer.

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

The Eels, just like the Broncos, wrongly believed that their "long-form contract" and negotiations were water tight.

PARRAMATTA chief executive Ken Edwards has slammed suggestions the club's star recruit Josh Papalii will turn his back on the Eels amid speculation that he signed with the club under duress.

The young Raider put pen to paper with Parra on a three-year deal during the week but the Raiders have been trying to get him to change his mind.

''We are fully aware of suggestions that he signed under some kind of duress but that's totally wrong,'' Edwards said.

''Those kind of comments wouldn't be coming from the kid himself. There's no way that would happen and I can understand if the Raiders are upset because he is a very, very special talent. We did this by the book, to the letter of the law, and then some. I can tell you how far we went to make sure he was comfortable even after he agreed to our terms. Ricky [Stuart] told him to go back to the Raiders one more time to see if they could match our offer and keep him but they didn't get anywhere near it. To say he signed under duress is almost laughable. His mum was there when he did the deal and, like him, she was delighted that he signed to come to us.''

This column understands that Papalii and his management actually approached the Eels to see if they were interested in signing the 20-year-old forward.

''What I want our fans to know is that Josh will be at Parramatta and we are delighted to have him join the club,'' Edwards said.

''It's an indication that the club is moving in the right direction that a player of his ability and obvious potential wanted to sign up with us.''

Several attempts were made to contact Raiders boss Don Furner but he did not respond.

The truth behind Papalii's contract with the Eels is revealed...

Raiders issue Papalii contract deadline

THE Canberra Raiders want Josh Papalii to decide on his future before this week's season opener, with the second-rower still torn over whether to stay in the capital or honour a contract with Parramatta.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner says the club is being patient, but hopes the situation will be resolved before Sunday's round one clash at Penrith.

Canberra are liaising with potential third-party sponsors in a bid to match the Eels' offer, and their chances of retaining Papalii are rising by the day.

Under NRL rules, the 20-year-old has until round 13 to accept a three-season, $1.5 million deal he signed with Parramatta three weeks ago.

The Raiders are confident lifestyle and family factors will help to convince Papalii to stay with the Green Machine.

Canberra helped the South Logan junior's family relocate from Brisbane to Canberra last year, and he has younger siblings already settled at school.

Fairfax Media understands the Raiders are disappointed with how some aspects of the negotiations have been handled.

The club was informed Papalii had signed a deal with the Eels almost two weeks later, when they met his manager, Col Davis.

It is understood Canberra were told the Eels' offer was $400,000 a season, and if they could match it he would stay.

They did, but by then Papalii had signed his $500,000 Parramatta deal.

A source close to the Raiders said:

Papalii was advised to sign the Eels' contract after being told of the round 13 clause, giving him a ''safety net'' in case Canberra failed to come close to Parramatta's offer. It also indicates he was aware the option of staying with Canberra remained even if he signed.

❏ Parramatta were advised not to issue the press release dispatched to media outlets on Friday, February 22, trumpeting Papalii's signing because he was having second thoughts.

It has also emerged Papalii indicated to teammates the day before the Eels' announcement he wanted to stay loyal to Canberra.

Papalii's reputation received a significant boost when he successfully targeted Cronulla hitman Paul Gallen in the Raiders' 34-16 elimination final win at Canberra Stadium last year.

NSW skipper Gallen made uncharacteristic errors and accused Papalii of taking ''dog shots''.

Raiders issue indecisive Papalii with contract deadline

Now Papalii backflips...

Papalii turns back on Eels

Parramatta will take their fight for Josh Papalii to the courts after the promising forward agreed to terms on a three-year contract to remain in the nation's capital.

Despite signing a contract with the Eels, Papalii has agreed to terms on a $1.3 million deal with the Raiders, exercising a right which allows the holding club up until round 13 to re-sign players.

"Over the past couple of weeks I've spent a lot of time talking with my family about this decision and I'm comfortable that it's the best thing for me, my career and my family," Papalii said. "It's been a really tough decision to make, but in the end I had to do what was right for my family and I know I've done that.

"The Raiders have given me the chance to start my NRL career and I've made a home in Canberra for myself and my family," he said.

Fairfax Media has been told that the Eels will take legal action to ensure Papalii honours his original commitment to them.

"A contract is a contract - we won't be letting him go without a fight," a source said.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club were ready to move on and let Papalii continue with his career.

"Josh is an important member of our club, he's come through our junior development system and it's important for us to retain as many of our talented juniors as we can," Furner said. "We've agreed to terms with him for a further three seasons and we're excited about his future at this club.

Earlier on Friday, Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart was confident he had landed his first big-name signing for the club.

"I'm not nervous because he signed a legal document in front of his mother, in front of his manager and with our recruitment manager Peter Nolan," Stuart said.

"No I'm not nervous. I'm very excited by the signing. He's going to be a great asset. I know there's been a lot of pressure on him which is unfair because he signed a legal document and he was happy.

"I think it puts too much pressure on players to make decisions too soon. I think it's a rule that we can certainly look at. But that's what we have to deal with at the moment. They are the guidelines and have done everything sound in regards to signing Josh and as a club we're very excited about that signing. It's black and white, he signed a legal document."

Papalii's backflip may lead to legal stoush

Despite threats from the Eels of legal action, once they calmed down they realised they had no case and backed down. The contract was worthless until round 13, just as Milf's contract with he Broncos is also worthless until round 13. Even Sticky thought that the contract with Papalii was water tight, I bet he's glad he was wrong now!

But forget Papalii for a moment, this is the article you should all take note of. Written before his manager started the bidding war and told him to shut up, it reveals what is really in Milford's heart and what his plans have been all along. Everything he said is coming true...

Milford wants to make Canberra home

Anthony Milford’s brilliant match-sealer earned praise from Johnathan Thurston, and Canberra teammate Josh Papalii hopes they will be ‘‘Raiders forever’’ after the youngster’s stunning display in Sunday’s 26-18 win over North Queensland.

Playing fullback in the NRL for the first time after being blooded as a bench utility, whiz kid Milford scored a scintillating individual try to seal a crucial Raiders win at Canberra Stadium.

Milford’s shift to fullback was forced by a host of injuries to Raiders outside backs, with Reece Robinson shifting to wing.

It reaped dividends when he embarrassed Cowboys halfback Robert Lui with devastating footwork and speed to score a 60-metre try off a scrum in the dying minutes.

Milford, who turns 19 on Thursday, was personally congratulated by Cowboys superstar Thurston after the game - ‘‘well done mate, great game, good luck for the rest of the year.’’

He was overwhelmed by the gesture, but it was the moment which confirmed he has arrived as a bona fide NRL star.

‘‘That was massive for me coming from JT, I looked up to him when I was growing up,’’ he said with a big smile.

‘‘I was lucky enough with injuries I got a go at fullback and I was pretty nervous, but tried to stay as relaxed as I can.’’

Off-contract at the end of 2014, Milford wants to take the next big step toward signing with the Raiders long term by moving his Queensland-based family down to the capital after this season.

It’s a move which helped Maroons forward Papalii overcome crippling homesickness early on at the Raiders, and he has since progressed into the Maroons team.

Milford and Papalii forged a close bond growing up in Brisbane suburb Souths-Logan, a fruitful catchment area for the Raiders.

Like Papalii he initially yearned for home when he first came down, but is hopeful of convincing his family to move down.

‘‘They’ve come down this week for the second time, so if they like it enough I’ll move the whole family down.’’

Papalii is certain to retain his Queensland place for the series decider when the it is named this week.

He was brilliant the Cowboys, his man of the match performance including a classy solo try of his own in the first half.

Raiders prop David Shillington did his changes of a Maroons return no harm with a huge 170-metre effort, but is unlikely to be recalled unless injuries strike.

They may yet play together for Samoa in this year’s World Cup but Papalii, who is signed to Canberra until 2016, wants Milford in lime green long term.

‘‘He’s talking about moving his family down and hopefully he does, hopefully we can become Raiders forever,’’ he said.

‘‘Tony’s going pretty well, it’s very important to stay grounds and work on the things he needs to.

‘‘Hopefully he has a long career at the Raiders, but first and foremost we have to take care of family.’’

Despite growing up on their doorstep, Milford said the intense battle for Brisbane Broncos scholarships convinced him to take a different path.

‘‘Growing up I stayed away from them, I knew they had a lot of kids in my age group,’’ he said.

‘‘They’ve got too many players and when you’re young, it’s hard to crack.’’

Raiders skipper Terry Campese said it is vital the sides gives Papalii and Milford as many chances as possible to tear defensive lines apart.

‘‘As a team we have to learn to give Papa better opportunities one on one, and same with Tony,’’ he said.

‘‘You saw with Tony’s try if we get him one on one, he can’t be touched.’’

Canberra coach David Furner was straight to the point when asked about Milford’s moment of class.

‘‘I was certainly riding him home from that scrum, that’s for sure,’’ he said.

Just in case you missed it, lets read one quote again...

Guess what? Milford's family have moved to Canberra, just like Papalii's did before him. Do you get it now? Milford wants to stay at the Raiders and always has, this contract war is all about him getting the best deal he possibly can, which is fair enough. Milford is doing exactly what Papalii did before him. Milford doesn't want to join he Broncos, his manager is simply using them as a bargaining tool to drive up Tony's eventual contract renewal price with the Raiders.

Great essay. It's amazing to think that in all that you missed two key points (well not really amazing because it doesn't suit your a agenda, but hey)

1. He was offered a million plus to stay at the raiders before he signed with us, so if it is all about money why not take the million then?

2. If it was all about pushing his price up why the stories about his sick father etc for an early release? If your story is true that was all completely pointless and incredibly insulting to just about everyone

Last edited:
If you didnt read it then you aren't qualified to comment on it. Here is the quote so you can have some comprehension of what I'm saying:

By the way I don't live in Canberra, but I did spend my entire childhood there and can verify that it is a wonderful place to live. If you must know I live in Byron Bay, 30 mins from QLD, and yes it is an aweful day actually, huge storms all day. The same storms are traveling up and passing over Logan and the Gold Coast as I type this. So much for "the sunshine state" huh haha

Because it storms one afternoon despite it being a beautiful morning and the storms emerging from NSW?

Because the Raiders are one of the top two supported sides in the game with top two memberships and have an origin or two in their home ground every year with potential third party deals coming out of the nostrils. Wish we had those things. :(

Raiders are one of the richest clubs in the comp and can also come up with extensive 3rd party deals just as we did with Papalii. Origin has nothing to do with the Broncos, Milf will be playing it regardless of what club he is at. In fact all of QLDs greatest stars have been Raiders, including their current coach Big Mal. I don't wish we had anything that the Broncos have lol

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Dash
  • sooticus
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Lostboy
  • Old Mate
  • Manofoneway
  • Skyblues87
  • Mr Fourex
  • Donald Garner
  • jd87
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Gaz
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • kwomo
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.