[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

So... McCullough to five-eighth?

As for Smith, he'll most certainly be up here to fatten his wallet and ease in to retirement. Melbourne, more specifically Bellamy, if he doesn't release him for 2014, will work every last ounce of effort from his ageing body as it will surely be their last chance at a premiership. He'll have nothing left. While there are plenty of positives about having him here, I just hope the million dollar figure includes third party deals because it'll be the equivalent of a Sonny Bill one-season wonder, except that Smith won't be in his prime. He'll leave a big dent once he goes, that's for sure, so is another rebuild worth it?

Smith to halfback barba to five eighth. its the only way we can keep hoffman and mccullough happy and that seems to be our biggest priority!

clearly im joking but with all the whinging we are hearing about hoffman im sure its not far off

Smith to halfback barba to five eighth. its the only way we can keep hoffman and mccullough happy and that seems to be our biggest priority!

clearly im joking but with all the whinging we are hearing about hoffman im sure its not far off

Griffin would no doubt use smith as bench hooker to keep macca happy.

I think a lot of you guys are thinking too far into the future.

I really don't rate McC all that much. I find him to be a pretty lazy player. Certainly not the sort of player that even has the potential to be as good as Smith. I'm thinking we have a better chance of winning a Premiership in the next few years before Smiths retirement then in the next 10 under McG.

Last edited:
I'm in the no camp as well. Particularly if the figures being thrown about are anything like accurate. My reasoning is as follows;-

1. He is right at the back end of his career and you can only expect that his form and his body will further degrade from where it is at, at the moment. He was looking really tired by the end of the season.

2. If he is looking for a pay day, will he play with the same fire and passion that he has done at the Storm, or will he being going through the motions with no real emotional tie to the club. You would hope that Smith being an ultra-professional this will not be an issue.

3. Will he be as effective at the Broncos with our shambolic game plan compared to the highly structured game plan that has evolved at Melbourne. Add into this, taking him out of that environment, and away from the other component parts of the formula, ie, Cronk and Slater, will he still be able to function at the same level? I would have some concerns about both of these issues.

I do believe he would improve the team, albeit for a relatively short time. If he became the focus of the attack and structure, that would leave us in 2-3 years in exactly the same position again as we are now post Lockyer (unless the Club's succession planning is better second time around).

I hope he remains a one club player.

TBH the only real positive that could come out of this is Thaiday wouldn't be captain anymore. Besides that paying 1mil a season to someone who is 32+ is a joke IMO.

Remember the figures being tossed around initially when we were rumoured to be signing barba? I remember them being around 600-800k. Who's to say that this initial figure is any different? Would that marquee signing cap thing come into play here? He is the best player in the world on a consistent basis, doesn't come much more marquee than smitty!

I think a lot of you guys are thinking too far into the future.

I really don't rate McG all that much. I find him to be a pretty lazy player. Certainly not the sort of player that even has the potential to be as good as Smith. I'm thinking we have a better chance of winning a Premiership in the next few years before Smiths retirement then in the next 10 under McG.

Why are you comparing a Prop to a Hooker?

I am also saying no to this signing for all the same reasons but one thing to keep mind is that if he does come to us I am sure part of the deal would be an assistant coaching role once he has finished playing. It has already been stated by many in the football world that he will be a great coach and very regularly runs training, game plans and film seasions and Belemy sits back. That will be a great thing for our current poor coach, the amazing Griffin. Smith can run all out sessions.

Smith is the best hooker of all time. I can't see McCullough getting close to him even if Smith is in his mid 30s. I am worried about the price tag though, even McCullough would never really command that.

I don't think it's all bad though. Our first goal is to win a premiership, for that you really want the best in key positions. McCullough would still get a year to actually prove himself... if he doesn't, I would be looking for someone else anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about this - on one hand, there's the age plus value factor - is he really worth it?

But on the other, even if you only sign him for two seasons on mega bucks, and he helps you win the premiership in one of those seasons, then it's money well spent, isn't it?

My biggest concern is if we pay top dollar for Smith will it effect us having a good hard go at getting DCE whether that be now, next year or 2015.........if not then I'm open to it.

**** this. The biggest cheat in the history of the game playing in the Maroon and Gold. Embarrassing. I will always love the Broncos but this will be the biggest test for that statement.

TBH the only real positive that could come out of this is Thaiday wouldn't be captain anymore. Besides that paying 1mil a season to someone who is 32+ is a joke IMO.

If Smith does come to the Broncos he won't be captain. it might be a different story if he had more than a couple of years left in him

If Smith does come to the Broncos he won't be captain. it might be a different story if he had more than a couple of years left in him

Just out of curiosity (as I seriously don't know), has any player ever been the captain of their state and Australia and not been the captain of their club team?

Just out of curiosity (as I seriously don't know), has any player ever been the captain of their state and Australia and not been the captain of their club team?

Darren Lockyer in 04, I believe.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • Totally Unr3al
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.