[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Just out of curiosity (as I seriously don't know), has any player ever been the captain of their state and Australia and not been the captain of their club team?

Off the top of my head, was Fitler captain of the Roosters when Adrian Lam was captain of Qld?

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Darren Lockyer in 04, I believe.

Ok cheers, it was just a weird thought that you could be captain of say Australia without actually being captain of your club team, I guess stranger things have happened though.

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
I think a lot of you guys are thinking too far into the future.

I really don't rate McG all that much. I find him to be a pretty lazy player. Certainly not the sort of player that even has the potential to be as good as Smith. I'm thinking we have a better chance of winning a Premiership in the next few years before Smiths retirement then in the next 10 under McG.

I can only see us winning a premiership with McCullough if we have a superstar halves pairing like Milford and DCE. That is unlikely to happen though. With Smith in the side it takes a lot of pressure off the halves and allows you to be successful with less talented players in those positions.

We would have a massive chance at a premiership with Smith here even if we miss out on DCE or Milford. And when he retires you can just use the pile of money to recruit whatever star young play maker is coming through.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Cam Smith would be of enormous value if we get young Milford to pair Hunt (or one of Strasser/Taylor) in the halves. I can think of no one better than him to teach and mentor our young halves to steer the team around and how to control a game.

The added bonus would be his "coaching role" while still playing, and later becoming an assistant coach with a clue, which we do seem to badly need as well.

I do however baulk at the advertised price, but like anything else, it could just be a total fabrication based on pure guess work, in which case at a more reasonable price, I would definitely welcome him!

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Also whats with moving to Brisbane for family reasons? He has lived in Melbourne for 11 years now! His children would have lived their whole lives in Melbourne.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Also whats with moving to Brisbane for family reasons? He has lived in Melbourne for 11 years now! His children would have lived their whole lives in Melbourne.

Parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles etc. don't all die once children are born :p

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Maybe we're being picky. Maybe all this talk about DCE & Milford has got our expectations up. I mean, if we don't sign either of those, we'll just have a big chunk of money there not allocated to anyone. If someone said earlier this we'd have the opportunity to snare the best player in the game, and one of the best players of all time, we'd have fallen over ourselves. If we don't get a top playmaker or two, Cam Smith is a must. Either that or we can blow one million dollars on a bunch of nuffies like Todd Lowrie, Stu Mills etc.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Cam Smith would be of enormous value if we get young Milford to pair Hunt (or one of Strasser/Taylor) in the halves. I can think of no one better than him to teach and mentor our young halves to steer the team around and how to control a game.

The added bonus would be his "coaching role" while still playing, and later becoming an assistant coach with a clue, which we do seem to badly need as well.

I do however baulk at the advertised price, but like anything else, it could just be a total fabrication based on pure guess work, in which case at a more reasonable price, I would definitely welcome him!

Great post P.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Cameron Smith in 2015 will still be easily the best hooker in the game. We don't really have any superstars in the making in the position so he won't be holding us back development-wise (no I don't count McCullough). Personally I'm satisfied with our roster except for the 6 and 9, so the only way I see this is as a negative is if it costs us a really good half. If Smith costs us DCE - yeah it's probably a mistake. If Smith costs us Milford or Shaun Johnson, well that could really go either way. But I'm not going to be disappointed about signing arguably the best player in the game and definitely the best player in a position we've struggled with just because the media's throwing around the 1M price-tag again.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
With your knowledge you could really be a city planner, not just an architect.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
He's an importer/exporter, but he wants to quit the exporting, and focus on the importing.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
:focus: or else... :mod::secruity:

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
These Seinfeld references are making me thirsty!

I think Porthoz made a good point earlier - having someone like Smith around is almost invaluable in terms of developing young talent.

Also, let's not forget his game isn't really structured around his athleticism (things like physical speed, footwork, etc), it's all in the head - thus I don't think he'll slow down too much as he nears retirement. He's an extremely smart player and always seems to be thinking that little bit ahead of everyone else on the field.

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
My main concern is that signing Smith would use up all the cap space that Cherry-Evans would fill.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.