[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah I think we've all nailed the crux of the matter, Smith would be a great signing but not for that price.

If he came for half of that then fine, sign him up but for 1 million, no thanks.

Also, if getting him still means we can get DCE, I'm all for it!!

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
With your knowledge you could really be a city planner, not just an architect.
Please, nothing is higher than an architect.

On topic, redbur is right - if we'd never been linked to DCE I don't think we'd have anywhere near this level of resistance.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Rumour Alert! Cameron Smith...

If it was for next I'd be all for it.

L

Locky24

QCup Player
May 17, 2009
I reckon Smith will be the annoucement and we now have a goal kicker.

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Million bucks is a media beat up at this stage. Smith has said he will decide which club he is playing at before talking money

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Million bucks is a media beat up at this stage. Smith has said he will decide which club he is playing at before talking money

Exactly. The whole million dollar figure came about months ago when some reporter assumed that smith could earn 1 million a season based on comparable salaries of inglis and thurston and his standing in the game. Ever since that was published every story involving Smith that has come out claims that he will get a million. Pretty over reporters treating us like idiots

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013

He also said he will decide after RLWC. So todays announcement will have nothing to do with Smith. I believe the media reports are just a push for a large pay day towards the end of his career. Witch he prob deserves it at Melbourne as he has done incredible things for that club. He has doing nothing for the broncos so we owe him nothing. So why pay overs for him ?? if we spend a 1.5 a year on the guy what is he going to bring us ?? a premiership, he couldn't do that this year with the best spine in the business. So why ?

He is a champion but for 1.5million we could have 3 champions for the price of one. DCE, Milford and Vidot sounds good.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
The more I think about this the more I'm thinking its a done deal.

Cam Smith could very well be on News Limited payroll while at the Storm. News have sold the Storm why wouldn't they want to move the Australian/QLD captain/best hooker in the game to the only club they now own......the Broncos.

Perhaps they are 'subsidising' the move.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Just out of curiosity (as I seriously don't know), has any player ever been the captain of their state and Australia and not been the captain of their club team?

Wally at Wynnum.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Storm wants it sorted before next season so if he decides Broncos, he may be able to organize 2015 contract at an earlier stage than normal but not be granted a release

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
As I have said earlier, this is much bigger than his 'on field' value as our hooker

It's about the future, with CS as part of our coaching structure

I wouldn't want him at this age if the deal was just about a playing his last 2 years and didn't include a gig in the coaching ranks

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
As I have said earlier, this is much bigger than his 'on field' value as our hooker

It's about the future, with CS as part of our coaching structure

I wouldn't want him at this age if the deal was just about a playing his last 2 years and didn't include a gig in the coaching ranks

So true, was gonna to post the same thing. The should be looking at giving Smith a 6 /7 year deal that is structured as a player contract that moves into coaching. That way we wouldn't have to pay him as much (as he knows his future is secure) and we keep in a coaching capacity. I honestly believe Smith will be a top notch coach. Give him a multi year deal so that when he wants to hang up the boots he just moves into the coaching staff.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
As I have mentioned, if he is coming on 4-500k then let's jump at it. If it's 1 million under the cap, we'd be crazy. If he signs on for say 400k under the cap and the other six hundred I uncounted third party legit deals, then we would be crazy not to do it.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
The other positive is his service to Hunt would be crisp and to notch, unlike McC and Wally this season. Plus he brings a long kicking olio that we don't presently have. This actually is starting to sound like a really good idea provided it doesn't cost us DCE.

K

kluppy

QCup Player
Feb 2, 2010
The other positive is his service to Hunt would be crisp and to notch, unlike McC and Wally this season. Plus he brings a long kicking olio that we don't presently have. This actually is starting to sound like a really good idea provided it doesn't cost us DCE.

and we would no longer need a bench hooker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Organix
  • BroncoFan94
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.