[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Seriously if we sign KHunt and Smith on top of Milford and Barba's back ended deal, how can we not be in cap trouble?

Because we won't be paying Kennedy, and potentially Hoffman. There's $600 - $700k spared. We also punted Norman, and this year I believe that we are getting a big dispensation on JYY's $400k contract (that up until now has been fully carried in the cap).

AND, the club has made it clear that we've been way under the cap for the last year or two. Smartly, not spending money unless it's a worthwhile player.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Fair enough but as far as I'm aware, the salary cap is not like a phone plan where unused credit rolls over into next season. KHunt was a great player FOUR years ago.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Fair enough but as far as I'm aware, the salary cap is not like a phone plan where unused credit rolls over into next season. KHunt was a great player FOUR years ago.
No, but I think they front ended contracts at some stage when they had spare cash. I think I can recall reading about this when Thaidays last contract came up?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
No, but I think they front ended contracts at some stage when they had spare cash. I think I can recall reading about this when Thaidays last contract came up?

And Parker's. Hodges' contract also drops from his $400k to about $280k IIRC.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
We also got rid of Wallace, prince, Norman, lui, tasi and the cap is going up and we already had tons of wriggle room. If we had say 1mil free at the start of this year then we made a bunch of like for like trades eg vidot for lui. And then got rid of our playmakers who cover barba and Kennedy. We would be on 1.5mil now (i believe it goes up 500k). That means we could both of hunt and Milford for up to 820k as they would push two players out of the top twenty five.

look at the cowboys and they could put Thurston on a mil a season.

remember that we had the money for inglis but never spent it. We lost petero, teo, Taylor, lockyer among others in recent years and don't have any one as high as 500k. People accept less money to play for us. Parker wont even consider another club and doesn't have a manager.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I've got no concerns with cap, even adding in Smith & Hunt i think it makes us comparable with the likes of Souths, Easts, Dogs, Manly who i also don't believe are illegally cheating the cap.

I do think if all these latest signing rumours are true we will lose the likes of Hoffman, Hannant and B Hunt as their current contracts come to an end.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
I honestly don't understand how people are wondering if we have the cap space for these players. We have lost nothing but high profile talent and bought absolutely no one of significance since Israel folau. Don't get me wrong, we have bought players but no one on a salary worth mentioning. Maybe buying hannant back would be worth a mention. It's about time we started spending some coin and recruiting with force. I could not care less what other supporters think either, the roosters were getting bagged in recent years for "buying a premiership" but no one is saying it now because it's in the past and they are an absolute powerhouse of a team.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It is a fact of life that jealous fans of other clubs will always question our salary cap out of sheer desperation.

I remember at the start of 2013, opposition fans were on one hand telling me that we have no quality players at all and no depth then on the other hand tell me we are cheating the salary cap :rolleyes:

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
When we finished third in 2011, heaps of people were complaining that we were cheating the cap. Once we began our downward slide in mid-2012, those allegations mysteriously died down.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I don't mind either way tbh.. if we buy Cam Smith for heaps of money we have an amazing spine with a mix of young and old talent, Smith, Hunt, Barba, Milford

If we don't buy Cam Smith we have a lot of money for 2015 onwards to look for another superstar, potentially DCE or another really good hooker.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If he's mentally prepared to play for that long, it's fantastic. Lockyer could have physically played on until 36 or so, he was still gunning it at 34. He was just mentally exhausted.

Would be even more excited to sign Smith now. 4 years is a long time to have a player of such quality, especially if we managed to get a lot of 3rd party deals to cover much of his salary.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I'm a sceptic at the best of times, but 4 years just sounds like a payday. Smith's style at hooker is pure grind. There's already signs of him slowing down. I seriously doubt he has 5 more years in him, which suggests to me he'll be being paid over a million dollars a year to hobble around for his last couple of season. If it was 3 years with an option in the Broncos favour for a 4th, I'd be far more trusting.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Even if he does slow down, he'll still be better than any other hooker in the comp.
And if he has his arms amputated, he'll still be better than McCullough.

Last edited:
H

Hatchy

NRL Player
Mar 25, 2008
If we gain Smith as has been reported recently I truly believe we have the personnel to compete for the premiership from 2015. I have never been this excited about a signing in a very long time.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm a sceptic at the best of times, but 4 years just sounds like a payday. Smith's style at hooker is pure grind. There's already signs of him slowing down. I seriously doubt he has 5 more years in him, which suggests to me he'll be being paid over a million dollars a year to hobble around for his last couple of season. If it was 3 years with an option in the Broncos favour for a 4th, I'd be far more trusting.

Slowing down ??? Puh-leeassse!!

Pfft ......respectfully Morks, pull your head out of your arse.

Smith will play well into his late 30's in which time he would still be invaluable to any club.

Snapping him up now will be a bargain compared to what the other clubs will pay for him ...... even 5 yrs from now.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I'm still amazed at his workload over the last couple of years, won everything possible as captain.

He has a quiet game every now and then when Cronk and/or Slater turn it on (probably a big factor in his longevity) but always manages to remind people why he's one of the best players ever.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Slowing down ??? Puh-leeassse!!

Pfft ......respectfully Morks, pull your head out of your arse.

Smith will play well into his late 30's in which time he would still be invaluable to any club.

Snapping him up now will be a bargain compared to what the other clubs will pay for him ...... even 5 yrs from now.

If we sign him, I hope you're right. But he is way overdue a serious injury.

Active Now

• thenry
  • Cavalo
  • Lostboy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • jarro65
  • lynx000
  • Shane Tronc
  • Porthoz
  • Gympie devil
  • MrMoore
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • mrslong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • LittleDavey
  • Morkel
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.