[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Hang on! Now he's staying with Melbourne again! Or maybe not. Storm bosses are "quietly confident" that he will, but he might still switch to the Broncos, but Broncos powerbrokers say that he'll sign with the Storm. Smith may still change his mind well into the season.

What the hell is going on?

Family will sway Melbourne Storm skipper Cameron Smith to stay | News.com.au
What's going on here is some fat lazy journo needing a story and writing a headline to titilate and a follow up story that has absolutely no new or inside info. **** you news limited

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
What's going on here is Melbourne are tying up our potential buying ability for 2015... standard play that nearly everybody are falling for.. hook, line and sinker.

I agree that his wife wants to move home and that makes it hard, but whats another 3mil over 2 years at Melbourne, secure a coaching career and move to sunny QLD, for the rest of your life on easy street...

Honestly think Melbourne are making the smart play by tying up our buying potential. Maybe they are a aiming at a premiership in 2015/2016 as a bit of a sendoff.

We're one club. If they're going out of their way to scuttle our buying potential, there must be something about our intentions outside of Smith that intimidates them.

DCE?

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I'm not really sure that you can say the Storm are affecting our buying potential, mostly because there's nobody else of Smith's calibre (and likely salary) off contract in the same year. I mean, who could we be signing instead? Glenn Stewart? Jorge Taufua? Andrew Fifita? Jarrod Mullen? They are the best players off contract bar Smith and I don't see us with a chance of signing any of them.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Get Smith and front end his contract as much as possible for 2015 then go after Cherry Evans for 2016 on a backended deal would that be doable. 2016 Spine would be Smith, Cherry Evans, Milford and Barba

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If they have that spine in 2016, I WILL run down Queen Street nude. That's a bloody promise.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
How is a fullback with 5 years out of the code going to improve attacking structure and defence?

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne Storm’s coaching carrot part of deal offered to skipper Cameron Smith

CAMERON Smith will be groomed to succeed Craig Bellamy as Melbourne coach, as part of the multi-faceted contract the Storm’s owners have offered to keep the Test captain at the club.

As Smith continues to mull over what is likely to be the final deal of his career, Melbourne’'s powerful ownership consortium have moved to secure their captain by assembling a deal laced with post-football opportunities.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the scope of the club-record $4m-plus contract will involve business mentoring, but also give Smith the ability to parlay his football brain into NRL coaching.

Last week, Bellamy spoke of his plans for retirement, admitting his current deal with the Storm, which expires at the end of 2016, would almost certainly be his final coaching contract.

Smith is a key plank in Melbourne’s succession plan for life after Bellamy.

Mindful of the huge void Bellamy’s eventual departure will leave, Melbourne’s co-owners want Smith to uphold the cultural standards that have made Storm an NRL powerhouse.

Brisbane remain interested in luring Smith for 2015, but Melbourne believe a number of inducements, including consultancy and coaching opportunities, will stave off the Broncos.

“Cameron has been very loyal to us. I’ve never been worried before about losing Cameron. It is in the Storm culture,” said co-owner Gerry Ryan, who with Bart Campbell, Michael Watt and Matthew Tripp purchase the club last May.

“Cameron definitely has coaching potential here. He’s had the perfect mentor in Craig Bellamy and he’s indicated it’s a path he may wish to pursue and we’d support that.

“I know he will make a good coach at Melbourne, no question.

“Now that we are independently owned from News Corp, we are developing a business network and looking at providing opportunities for Cameron in Melbourne after football.

“There are media and business opportunities, but if he so wishes, Cameron can develop and mentor players at this club.

“He would be great in that role.”

Bellamy told The Courier-Mail last week: “I’ll be retiring after this one, I don’t think I’ll be going much longer past this contract.”

A four-year commitment to Melbourne would tie Smith to the club until the end of 2017.

By then, he would be 34, two years younger than Trent Robinson when the rookie coach steered the Roosters to the title last season.

Co-owner Ryan has known Smith since his arrival in Melbourne as a 19-year-old in 2002 and understands the family considerations now confronting the Storm skipper.

“Cameron deserves to make the right decision for his family, but we’re determined to keep him,” he said.

“I’ve watched Cameron go from a young man to a father who has had his three children grow up in Melbourne.

“Barbara (Smith’s wife) has been very supportive of Cameron for a long time down here but we’d like to think as a club we have always been supportive of them.

“We have our financial restrictions, but Bart Campbell is a very good operator and he hasn’t got to where he has without putting some deals together.”

Source: No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Why [MENTION=8536]Super Freak[/MENTION]? His price has been driven up majorly.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
The Cameron Smith story of is he leaving Melbourne or is he staying, is going to last longer then the ASADA investigation.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
It depresses me because Smith is one of my favourite players and I have always wanted him to be in a Broncos jersey.

What he brings to a club, no one else in the game can bring. Plus, I think having him at the club would really benefit McCullough and Granville. He is the perfect player to bring to the club to turn it around. I can't see any coaches saying no to him when change is demanded.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jedhead
  • OzeMike
  • scobie
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • jd87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.