Origin 2014 Chat

Biggest 50/50 call of the game was haynes try and nsw got that so u cant complain
Wasn't held even Wally said try.

Bigger calls, Qlds two tries coming the plays after knock on and forward pass, DCE holding Jennings back when Hayne made the break in the second half yet no penalty.

The refereeing was atrocious, we both had Haynes on our sides who were our best, Jarryd for the Blues, Shane for Qld.

Wasn't held even Wally said try.

Bigger calls, Qlds two tries coming the plays after knock on and forward pass, DCE holding Jennings back when Hayne made the break in the second half yet no penalty.

The refereeing was atrocious, we both had Haynes on our sides who were our best, Jarryd for the Blues, Shane for Qld.

Mate it wasn't a try, Wally is a legend of the game but no where near a yardstick for the rules of the NRL.

The fact that reynolds stayed on the field after what he did to tate (and no gallen the fact that he didn't break his neck changes nothing) disproves your hayne played for qld rubbish.

Don't you have better things to do then troll our forum?

Agree, Reynolds should have been sent off. Not even 10 minutes. Gone. For the game.

And the rules state that if the ball (or arm carrying the ball) is touching the ground, while an opposition tackler is touching them, any if additional force is used to promote the ball past the try-line is a double-movement. The fact that Thurston *momentarily* loses contact does not void the contact he had while that arm was on the ground, and does not make it a broken tackle.

Slater injured as well. They say he is in danger of missing Origin 2 but I doubt that.

Smith 1 - 2 weeks
Slater 2 - 3 weeks
Cronk 8 - 12 weeks

Horrible night for the storm

Smith 1 - 2 weeks
Slater 2 - 3 weeks
Cronk 8 - 12 weeks

Horrible night for the storm

Wow, bet Bellamy didnt get much sleep last night. Wish we were playing them this week or next, have to wait about 8 weeks i think.

Lastnight I was cranky, thismorning less so. More disappointed, but if I'm honest with myself we did very well to hang in there without Cronk. JT was uber dirty with himself after that, the look on his face in the dressing room after the game said it all. He will be firing come Game 2.

I believe Reynolds should have been sent, but it was never going to happen. It was a deliberate dangerous tackle IMO, he got under him and lifted from Tate's hips. There was never an intent to keep his legs below his head. If the other bloke wasn't dragging Tatey's upper body around and under, he's on his head and his career (if not his fucking life) is over. There's no excuse for that, especially after incidents this year, and IMO he's very very lucky to only get hit with a Grade 2 for it. Should have been a Grade 3 minimum, and if he does challenge it tonight I hope they sit the grubby **** down for the 3 games he'll miss if he doesn't get it downgraded. If he gets off with less than 2 games there'll be a fucking mutiny, and so there should. Wonder what Alex McKinnon thinks of it, the NRL judiciary should ask him before the hearing tonight.

It was always going to be tough with Cronk out, that pretty well fucked us. If DCE wasn't 100% he should not have been in the side, as his role was always going to be what it was, if Cronk/Thursto got injured. How often last week did we hear that you can't carry people in Origin, lastnight proved it. Below-par games for a few of our guys, it feels very much like last year.

You get the feeling that the Blues played as well as they could've with their team lastnight - there's no improvement there. They will be better for Bird and Fifita back, but only to the extent that those two will replace their not-as-solid replacements from this game. The pressure of 9 straight will be as much on the Blues in game 2, as it will be on our boys. On the other hand, we know for a fact QLD has a ton of improvement possible. Our halves weren't in it. Smith was on one leg for half of the game. Matty Scott was fairly quiet. Inglis never got the ball in any sort of space.

I think our forwards, although smaller, matched them pretty well. Guerra is made for Origin on that performance, outstanding first game, he was out on his feet after 10 minutes but kept turning up. I was stoked with Teo's efforts, he had some good strong runs and some stinging defence. Myles was again outstanding. Parker solid, I thought Gillette was pretty solid too personally (although we win if he holds the ball for that try..) Big Papa I thought was pretty good as well, he's still finding his feet at this level and let's not forget his form this season hasn't been great to say the least, so I was happy with him.

Our backs were also great. You can't fault the effort and heart shown there. Boyd was again solid, Tatey always grows an extra leg. Hodgo tried very hard and I thought did pretty well defensively to shut down their left side too. Slater was outstanding, although his days are clearly numbered, his body just won't take a whole lot more. Inglis just needs more ball, period. He didn't get the chance to do anything really, he was swamped whenever he got the ball.

Thurston will be a mile better. Hayne had his number tonight, and that won't happen again this series, I can guarantee it.

Refs were ordinary, both ways tonight. High shots not picked up. Inconsistencies in penalties (or lack of) for tacklers being too slow to move. The penalty that got them to 12 points was bullshit, and if we were 2 behind instead of 4 then that last period of the game is very fucking different. We got some rubbish calls in the last few minutes. Morris knocked on at one point and it was missed. Slater was taken very late off the ball, and he wasn't the only one. Papa's hit was fair, he couldn't have pulled out and let's face it, Gallen had it coming ;) All in all, disappointed in the officials. They need to be better. Wonder if Laurie's spiel on Tuesday about not getting 50-50 calls in Brisbane had anything to do with some of the early calls. But, we can't blame the refs for the loss, we had the chances and couldn't take them.

NSW will need to be a lot better to take Game 2, despite it being in Sydney. We need more starch in the middle, or Fifita will have a field day. If we can hold the middle, I think we will take the game, injuries aside. That for me is by far the most concerning thing. Definitely no Cronk. Potentially Slater/Smith/DCE(?)/Hodgo(?)...you can't replace those guys' experience at this level. And a win over a NSW with their tails up, in Sydney, will be too much to ask IMO. DCE in for Cronk and the others OK? We will win. Any more out, and I have grave concerns.

All up, proud of the boys to come back at them like that, especially a man down all game and our #7 at that. It illustrates the gap that remains between the teams IMO...down our halfback, with many others well below par - and still could have won it. Sydney will be massive...I just hope we can field a strong enough team to do what we all know can be done.

Couple more thoughts - Hayne's try was questionable but if it was QLD I'd probably call it, so I can't complain about it.

There was also a point where Inglis was apparently tackled in-goal, but he'd outstretched and the ball was in the field of play - yet we had to drop out? Was the call that he'd grounded it in-goal therefore him getting the ball back into the field of play doesn't count as it was after the fact? Just thought it was a bit harsh at that stage of the game, we were under mega pressure and it would've been a massive play if he was allowed to play the ball. As I said though, both sides were on the wrong end of a couple of rubbish calls.

I definitely think on replay that we got the rub of the green but the way NSW are going on and on about it suggests they're not used to it.

Mind you, NSW had a massive whinge last year treating a basic strip call against Hoffman like it was the worst call of the series and cost them the game, so they've got mileage.

But that's Origin. Everything gets blown up to extremes and it brings out all the one-eyed supporters. Nothing wrong with it, nor should there be really.

At the end of the day, I thought I watched a quality game of football where the performance of one player was the difference. Origin II will be completely different and Queensland are going to have to build on their performance if they're any chance. Plenty of room to succeed or fail at this stage.

Also, hope Reynolds gets off. Would be a major injustice but he isn't that good a player anyways.

Personally, was a strange game watching live at Suncorp. One moment there's about 20 minutes to go and we've only got to score a try - the next it's bloody 3 minutes and we still haven't achieved it. Time seemed to go by so quickly and then really slowed down right at the end.

Like I said, I kept waiting for that last Queensland try, it just seemed to be one of those games where DCE would come up with the big play but he just didn't chance his arm enough on the occasion. Neither did JT.

Last edited:
Couple more thoughts - Hayne's try was questionable but if it was QLD I'd probably call it, so I can't complain about it.

There was also a point where Inglis was apparently tackled in-goal, but he'd outstretched and the ball was in the field of play - yet we had to drop out? Was the call that he'd grounded it in-goal therefore him getting the ball back into the field of play doesn't count as it was after the fact? Just thought it was a bit harsh at that stage of the game, we were under mega pressure and it would've been a massive play if he was allowed to play the ball. As I said though, both sides were on the wrong end of a couple of rubbish calls.

I think they ruled that the ball touched the line as he outstretched his arm - so that's technically grounded in-goal.

I thought the refs were terrible and great equally and at the end of the day, didn't really affect the result thankfully which would have been different had we lost by two with that rubbish penalty when Watmough I think it was fell over with no Maroon within three metres of him and he got a penalty for it. Reynolds should have been sent, there was no excuse for that.

I also feel Hayne's try was in essence a double movement but have no problem with it being given, I'd be disappointed if that was taken off us. Injuries were always going to be the only way NSW would get us and this year looks like it might be it.

I also reckon Martina Bellamy will be ordering a new tv as his old one is in a million pieces out on his street.

Although he is a Queenslander I was impressed with the debut of Aiden Guerra. He ran his lines very well and troubled NSW considerably.

Although he is a Queenslander I was impressed with the debut of Aiden Guerra. He ran his lines very well and troubled NSW considerably.

Yeah, he was impressive Roosterman (srsly though, he was).

1601092_765683170130429_3590422318717276026_n.jpg

Well the refs were passengers most of the night. ;)

Ive sat there before for origin, a lot of atmosphere, you'll have a great night.

You were right about that. Incredible atmosphere in that area, and despite the loss, it was definitely a great night.

Active Now

• Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.