OFFICIAL ORIGIN: QLD WINS. HOORAY. NOW LET'S GET BACK TO THE FOOTY

Since we're coming into Origin season, we might like to think about how it's going to affect our playing roster and recovery time. Here is the schedule, and how it will impact us.

IMPACTROUNDDATEOPPONENT
Missing players17Sunday, July 10Dragons
Origin 3Wednesday, July 13
Backing up: 3 days18Saturday, July 16Titans

We have 2 remaining games to be affected by representative matches:

Dragons in Round 17
Broncos missing
Kurt Capewell
Corey Oates
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan
Tommy Flegler (replacement)

Dragons missing
Ben Hunt

Titans in Round 18
Broncos possibly resting
Corey Oates
Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan

Titans possibly resting
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

ORIGIN 3 SQUAD : QLD

Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Pat Carrigan
Corey Oates
Tommy Flegler (18th man)

NSW ORIGIN 3: NSW
No Broncos

Now that I think about it TMM is a risk for the international Game at being picked which is when Game 2 is on, though it should be a week between that game and ours unlike Origin.

New Zealand only have 2 Active Fullbacks in NRL atm(Him and Nicoll-Klokstad)Martin is the clear best on form atm, they could go with Manu in fullback though.
Ahh I think you are forgetting about a certain kiwi fullback playing down the M1

Good mail that both Staggs and Cobbo have made it into their respective origin squads.

Payne has been selected for NSW. QLD side announced 9am.

1. Ponga - "Picks himself".....Sadly. He's damn lucky QLD aren't exactly flush with form fullbacks at the moment that's for sure.
2. Oates - Has played Origin before, is in great form, deserves to be there and will be I think
3. Gagai - Origin experience, decent form, not flush with choices in the centres
4. Holmes - Same story as Gagai. Existing Origin experience, solid form, not many other choices
5. Coates - Yes I wanted to put Cobbo here, but you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Slater isn't picking as many Storm players as possible
6. Munster - Picks himself
7. DCE - "Picks himself" quote unquote, but you could almost argue Hunt deserves it more on form. Hunt however just can't deal with big stages so that is what benches him
8. Papalii - No one else really that is a feasible option. Has been decent in a bad Canberra side
9. Grant - Picks himself
10. Fa'asuamaleaui - Another one that feels very iffy given the form of his club but you aren't exactly going to start Flegler at Origin level are you.
11. Capewell - Rusted on incumbent, won't be overlooked
12. Kaufusi - Rusted on incumbent, could definitely question his right to selection but again, Slater is coach.
13. Arrow - Rusted on incumbent, should probably be benched in favor of Carrigan but won't be.

14. Hunt - In the best form he's been in since leaving the Broncos. Can cover two positions and can tackle solidly. He'll be there.
15. Fotuaika - Very unsure about this one but the bench was always going to be a struggle for us this year
16. Carrigan - Not believing this Reuben Cotter talk for a second. Carrigan is in career best form and deserves to be there, if only to square up on Haas
17. Fifita - Doesn't deserve to be there, but the media hype train will see him picked regardless

Cobbo and Flegler will go into camp but I doubt they play on the night.

Coates getting picked ahead of Oates or cobbo will happen but ffs it's a bit of a joke. Coates has hardly "earned" an incumbency leeway with his past origin performances and cobbo and Oates have been in FAR FAR better form.

Everything about Coates is the exact opposite you want put of a winger in origin. His red zone runs are atrocious, prone to handling errors and poor defensive reads. You can paper over them with 3 tries in a 70 point win but ffs not in origin.

The thing that pisses me off even more is cobbo will likely get picked on the opposite side he normally plays and if he plays poorly he will get dropped bcos... um, broncos... I have no doubt broncos players will get a leaner run from slater and co

The way the media is you could say promoting Cobbo - appearances on Sunday footy show, interviews etc I think there pushing the narrative for him to play.
Would love a Oates Cobbo wing paring but I see Coates being picked and Oatesy missing out even though his form has been the best and most consistent out of the 3 all season. He deserves the jersey.

In bet you didn't see this coming news: Tesi Niu will be back for the Round 17 Dragons match that Kotoni, Selwyn and maybe Corey are likely to miss. Likewise against the Titans in Round 18. Phew.
We’re gonna need about 14 other players to make the Origin team for Niu to get a run in round 17.

Congratulations to the Broncos' favourite expat Tommy Dearden for making the QLD extended squad.

Good for Dearden, I always thought it was a bit premature judging him as a failure, as he got introduced to first grade WAAAY too young and you generally don't see many halfbacks really hit it off until sometime into their early 20s. There's still a chance he won't end up being very good in the long run, but he has definitely improved quite a bit.

In bet you didn't see this coming news: Tesi Niu will be back for the Round 17 Dragons match that Kotoni, Selwyn and maybe Corey are likely to miss. Likewise against the Titans in Round 18. Phew.
And still won’t be required

Queensland team for Game One​

1. Kalyn Ponga (Newcastle Knights)
  2. Selwyn Cobbo (Brisbane Broncos)
  3. Valentine Holmes (North Queensland Cowboys)
  4. Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights)
  5. Xavier Coates (Melbourne Storm)
  6. Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm)
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans, capt. (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
  8. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Gold Coast Titans)
  9. Ben Hunt (St. George-Illawarra Dragons)
  10. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
  11. Kurt Capewell (Brisbane Broncos)
  12. Felise Kaufusi (Melbourne Storm)
  13. Reuben Cotter (North Queensland Cowboys)
  14. Harry Grant (Melbourne Storm)
  15. Lindsay Collins (Sydney Roosters)
  16. Patrick Carrigan (Brisbane Broncos)
  17. Jeremiah Nanai (North Queensland Cowboys)
  18. Thomas Dearden (North Queensland Cowboys)
  19. Jai Arrow (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
  20. Thomas Flegler (Brisbane Broncos)
  21. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (North Queensland Cowboys)
  22. Murray Taulagi (North Queensland Cowboys)

Happy for Dearden, he deserves it, he's been fantastic this year.

Carrigan is getting rightly rewarded, he's been fantastic this year.

If Flegler wasn't so dumb on the field, I reckon he'd be in the 17 but he's too high risk to play.

Hope Kotoni has a good game (but loses) he's earned his origin spot, he's been seriously excellent after he left dickfingers behind.

Good for Dearden, I always thought it was a bit premature judging him as a failure, as he got introduced to first grade WAAAY too young and you generally don't see many halfbacks really hit it off until sometime into their early 20s. There's still a chance he won't end up being very good in the long run, but he has definitely improved quite a bit.
I've always been a fan of Tom and felt there was a good player in there. IMO he got given a raw deal in an absolute dumpster fire of a team and never really had a platform to show what he could do. Was pitched in and expected to turn the entire team around, which is ridiculous when you think about it.

A clean break was probably the best thing for Tommy and it's starting to show now.

Active Now

• The True King
  • Santa
  • Bongo
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.