Our new halfback should be

Lucky Hayne is only on a 1 year extension, he's not worth the money.
Exactly... End of 2018 hayne will only get a job with Euro rugby and titans will have $1.2m in cap space

Tbh I think hayne was always a little overhyped and consequently over-payed for what he delivered. He had some amazing moments in games but they rarely led to the teams consistently playing at a level to compete for the title. There are a few like him floating around the game and they can look like world beaters one week and disappear the next. Ferguson, Jennings are a couple of others that come to mind, but there are more. Its what I like about what we have at the moment. With the exception of Milford (who to be fair has improved out of sight this year in his approach to competing), our players give what they can, form and injury aside. You can fault them for execution but not effort.

Tbh I think hayne was always a little overhyped and consequently over-payed for what he delivered. He had some amazing moments in games but they rarely led to the teams consistently playing at a level to compete for the title. There are a few like him floating around the game and they can look like world beaters one week and disappear the next. Ferguson, Jennings are a couple of others that come to mind, but there are more. Its what I like about what we have at the moment. With the exception of Milford (who to be fair has improved out of sight this year in his approach to competing), our players give what they can, form and injury aside. You can fault them for execution but not effort.
Hayne a little overhyped...Been like that for 2 years! Lucky to be playing Origin! Fkin show pony!

Hayne reminds me of Corey Norman. Will do the fancy stuff but when they need to get down in the gutters and work hard...Nope...Down at Bondi sipping Lattes!

While I don't think he is not trying it is a fair point. People's behaviour is all about incentives. There is no up side for Hunt to get his s**t together at the Broncs. If he recaptures his form and help leads us to a grand final don't think his fragile psyche can risk dropping another grand final. Imagine being the not only first broncos halfback to lose 1 grand final and imagine losing 2. He plays like crap and he he still has a massive contract that will just about see out his career. His incentive is to try and play well enough to just lose that way he knows he keeps his spot and avoids a hit to his self esteem. Besides why would anyone really try to take things to the next level for a third of next years pay not like he's fighting for that juicy contract it kind of fell into his lap. Can't know what's really going on in his head as an untrained outsider but fits what we see externally. As for incentive of origin or Test spot he is well down the pecking order now and would have to repeatedly prove himself in big games to be seriously considered now, besides a whole lot of pressure if he gets there that he doesn't need at this time in his life. Besides he already gets to say he played for Aus.

If that's not shit it'll do till we get some

Hayne a little overhyped...Been like that for 2 years! Lucky to be playing Origin! Fkin show pony!

Agree getting paid over twice his value as a player and much better centres out there for origin just need someone capable of exposing him more, but how much was he worth in marketing which Gold Coast and NSW desperately needed? But how many bums on seats is he adding for GC now hype is wearing off... and now is he just poisoning rest of the team with his attitude? Just can't bring myself to have much sympathy for GC they might play in QLD but are not a QLD team.

Titans have offered Tyrone Roberts a 2 year extension.

:idea:

Bennett just stating he has 'no doubt Kodi will be your halfback next year' seems to have put this discussion to sleep.

This also opens speculation to Jack Bird's role in the team. Personally I hope we end up with a Roberts/Bird centre pairing because that might be the best centre pair since Lyon/Matai, or Gasnier/Cooper were in top form. (I know complimenting those players is probably sacrilege around here but let's be objective).

As for Kodi, I have been a massively fan of his since his under 20s days, though I've also been cautious and realistic about my expectations of him. I think he shows a lot of promise and suits Milford to a t.

Kane Elgey is playing great today, some brilliant kicks. If Ash is unavailable I'd be at least enquiring about Kane.

Kane Elgey is playing great today, some brilliant kicks. If Ash is unavailable I'd be at least enquiring about Kane.

Just read that titans are keen to shift hayne to 5/8 . They are looking at him and ash in the halves , that leaves elgey in the cold . Would definitely take him if ash doesn't come.

Just read that titans are keen to shift hayne to 5/8 . They are looking at him and ash in the halves , that leaves elgey in the cold . Would definitely take him if ash doesn't come.

They're doing that because Elgey dislocated his shoulder.

But they've offered Roberts a new contract and are obviously keen to re-sign Taylor, I think we could probably get Elgey if we asked nicely.

They're doing that because Elgey dislocated his shoulder.

But they've offered Roberts a new contract and are obviously keen to re-sign Taylor, I think we could probably get Elgey if we asked nicely.

Ok , they said permanent shift next year . I'd be happy with elgey.

I'm not sure what to make of Elgey.

Clearly he's got some talent and has a knack of scoring tries but his decision making at times can be abysmal. He'd be a good fit for a few clubs, but given the role is to partner Milford, I don't think he'd offer all that much that Kodi Nikorima or Benji Marshall can't already provide.

I'm struggling to think of any players in the market who would suit Milford's game. One player I have a fair amount of time for is Te Maire Martin, but I haven't heard anything about the Broncos being interested so it would be a pipe dream. One player I wouldn't be against bringing in as a Queensland Cup affiliate is Mitch Cornish. At one point he was the best halfback coming through the 20s, surprise surprise his career stagnated under Sticky and it's only been in recent times he's been able to find his feet at Sydney. Offer him a pre-season and a chance to partner with an old friend of his and see what comes of it.

I think elgey is in the same boat as milf , ash and knik . They are all talented in certain areas of the game , but also much to learn and build on . Elgey for mine is probably the most diverse imo , his kicking, passing are both good and his running game is great. I think ash would be the perfect foil for milf but elgey would be my second choice.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • theshed
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Lazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dash
  • Gaz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Justwin
  • Socnorb
  • LittleDavey
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.