Our new halfback should be

Sure, but we're talking about someone earning 700k and someone looking to earn 800k - at that level, I would think other considerations such as the successful pursuit of individual or team goals, career development, culture and workplace demeanour and or being settled in a particular area would come into play.

There will always be people that are solely money driven, good luck to them, but clubs shouldn't hold themselves to ransom over those players. Generally speaking those that value money over everything else don't achieve a lot in their career, which dents their future earning capacity a bit.

or they could do what brett kenny did and end up on the bones of his arse for staying loyal to the eels all those years ago, yes the game has changed big time and i know its off topic a touch to the thread, and yes kenny won premierships etc but in recent times he hasnt had 2 cents to rub together. there are plenty more stories like him.
petero was another example, if it wasnt for penrith topping him up at the back end of his career he would not be in the position he is now. he was about as loyal and team orientated as it gets.
i dont be grudge any nrl player or everyday worker for getting extra money at all, and i agree you still have to be happy in work and life balance. but in the real world - $100k a year over a 4 year contract is dam good loot. some people would be lucky to earn half that over the same period.
lets remember here that nrl players are a long time retired so i say good luck to them if they can squeeze as much as they can out.

or they could do what brett kenny did and end up on the bones of his arse for staying loyal to the eels all those years ago, yes the game has changed big time and i know its off topic a touch to the thread, and yes kenny won premierships etc but in recent times he hasnt had 2 cents to rub together. there are plenty more stories like him.
petero was another example, if it wasnt for penrith topping him up at the back end of his career he would not be in the position he is now. he was about as loyal and team orientated as it gets.
i dont be grudge any nrl player or everyday worker for getting extra money at all, and i agree you still have to be happy in work and life balance. but in the real world - $100k a year over a 4 year contract is dam good loot. some people would be lucky to earn half that over the same period.
lets remember here that nrl players are a long time retired so i say good luck to them if they can squeeze as much as they can out.
I get what your saying but if you're earning $400k + a year and can't put some of that away for life in retirement than bad luck to you.

I get what your saying but if you're earning $400k + a year and can't put some of that away for life in retirement than bad luck to you.
Agreed.

I can completely understand why fringe players or run of the mill first graders chase the money because they're unlikely to command a big payday and this might be their only opportunity, good luck to them.

But we're talking about big name players whom are young and, unless they suffer a bad injury (which is plausible and has happened, but it's not overly likely), will get another decent sized contract - if they can't manage their money, there's something wrong, and it's not the wage they're getting thats the cause.

yeah fair call, unfortunately some of them cant. i got nonidea how they cant though.

yeah fair call, unfortunately some of them cant. i got nonidea how they cant though.
Not sure about Australia but I've heard a few stories of NBA players in America who feel pressured to support almost their whole neighbourhood if they make it big.

I don't really have compassion for a player who loses all their money on gambling, drugs, etc. though

Exactly ! They could easily set something up for life after footy with that money.

Chris garry seems convinced Ash Taylor will resign with titans.

A few comments in here about "our" MILF

Let's not forget we took him from Canberra

He's not really "our" MILF

well then, he was "their" MILF when we stole him from Canberra

I'm just saying you can't have moral outrage when another club signs a guy that you signed from another club

I'm just saying you can't have moral outrage when another club signs a guy that you signed from another club
Unnamed

Prepare to have your mind blown... Who did Canberra sign him from?

He was a Bronco junior...

On your logic, Cronulla is entitled to blow up due to moral outrage, after all the development they put into Jack Bird...

Prepare to have your mind blown... Who did Canberra sign him from?

He was a Bronco junior...

On your logic, Cronulla is entitled to blow up due to moral outrage, after all the development they put into Jack Bird...

But Bird debuted for Cronulla at first grade level. He must be one of their juniors, right?

Active Now

• kiwi2
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behold
  • leon.bott
  • Fozz
  • whykickamoocow
  • BroncosAlways
  • cento
  • Cavalo
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncorob
  • Jeza23
  • TimWhatley
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Strop
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.