Our new halfback should be

That's going back such a long time though, when has he demonstrated this skill at the top level?

That's going back such a long time though, when has he demonstrated this skill at the top level?
When has he been asked to? He might be able to put it on a 20 cent piece from 40 yards away and we wouldn't know. With a year to practice he could easily get to be as good as Hunt.
His defence would be better than Hunt and his decision making under pressure would be as well. That only leaves his running and passing games and I don't think he'd be too bad at that. I'm not saying he would be a Thurston or Cronk but they aren't available and the guys that are don't look very exciting.

He hasn't had a chance to showcase it really... a few grubbers here and there, but you don't "unlearn" how to kick.
His technique is quite good btw.

When has he been asked to? He might be able to put it on a 20 cent piece from 40 yards away and we wouldn't know.

I don't buy that argument, you could make the exact same case for half the roster.

Fact of the matter is, he's never demonstrated the ability in the competition that matters. Until he does, I can't see how he can be considered a candidate.

When has he been asked to? He might be able to put it on a 20 cent piece from 40 yards away and we wouldn't know. With a year to practice he could easily get to be as good as Hunt.
His defence would be better than Hunt and his decision making under pressure would be as well. That only leaves his running and passing games and I don't think he'd be too bad at that. I'm not saying he would be a Thurston or Cronk but they aren't available and the guys that are don't look very exciting.
Get out of here.

The Broncos already have one of the best halves in the business, they don't need to replace Ben Hunt with somebody of equal quality, just value.

We're only in January, I doubt the club has seriously sat down yet and discussed their approach moving forward.

The Broncos already have one of the best halves in the business, they don't need to replace Ben Hunt with somebody of equal quality, just value.

We're only in January, I doubt the club has seriously sat down yet and discussed their approach moving forward.

So much this.

People round here like no way hunt should be getting more than $700k... (hunt leaves) OK Shaun Johnson is off contract I bet we could get him for $1m a season he has his deficiencies as a half but he can develop!!!

Who said we should offer Johnson a million a season?

Shaun Johnson will never ever develop and eliminate his deficiencies. He will just stay the same player now

Only if we don't get Taylor. Brooks is ok , he may have a break out season without farah their.

To be honest, Farah wasn't there for most of last year anyways and Teddy and Moses were carrying that team

To be honest, Farah wasn't there for most of last year anyways and Teddy and Moses were carrying that team

Yeah true. I don't really rate him anyway. I really want Taylor back!

Who said we should offer Johnson a million a season?

My comment was more along the lines of going after another half of similar quality that still has deficiencies in their game, with the primary reason being that they are off contract. Similar can be said for Pearce, Brooks, etc.

The inflated price of $1m is probably how much you'd have to throw at SJ to prise him away from New Zealand, but again how much would you have to throw at Brooks to get him out of Sydney.

I just find it hypocritical considering Hunt was off contract, has deficiencies, etc. yet there are some who would be happy to go for a similar or lesser half at a potentially inflated price now that he's gone.

I said to throw 1mil at Johnston pay the big money on what could be our big 3 milf, Johnson Boyd

Personally I think it would be foolish to wait until 2019 for Taylor, if we can get a good partner for Milford now.

for a number of reasons:

1. 2 years is a long time in rugby league and we have all seen players have good first up seasons that were unable to build on it in their second years or flat out had a shit second season and never recover.

2. It would be foolish to believe that the Titans will just release him to us for next season (even if we did sign him for 2019), The Raiders and Cowboys have showed that sometime clubs are not prepared to release players to clubs early. even we won't release Hunt to the Dragons early, given he is a critical part of the team.

3. Waiting for Taylor could mean that we potentially miss out on signing a quality partner for Milford that is off contract at seasons end and can join us in 2018.

I think our best bet would be to look at our options (both internal and external) and see if we can sign or develop a quality half for 2018, then only if we still need to we consider trying to lure Taylor back.

On a side note, if the club believe that Kodi Nikorima will be getting first shot in the halves in 2018, then he should play the majority of the season in the ISC (only coming into the NRL team if a halves spot is available due to origin, injury or suspension). I would have a quiet word to him so he knows when he isn't getting selected in the NRL squad, as I believe he is better playing 80mins at halfback in the ISC instead of 15 mins off the bench backing up for Macca

Personally I think it would be foolish to wait until 2019 for Taylor, if we can get a good partner for Milford now.

for a number of reasons:

1. 2 years is a long time in rugby league and we have all seen players have good first up seasons that were unable to build on it in their second years or flat out had a shit second season and never recover.

2. It would be foolish to believe that the Titans will just release him to us for next season (even if we did sign him for 2019), The Raiders and Cowboys have showed that sometime clubs are not prepared to release players to clubs early. even we won't release Hunt to the Dragons early, given he is a critical part of the team.

3. Waiting for Taylor could mean that we potentially miss out on signing a quality partner for Milford that is off contract at seasons end and can join us in 2018.

I think our best bet would be to look at our options (both internal and external) and see if we can sign or develop a quality half for 2018, then only if we still need to we consider trying to lure Taylor back.

On a side note, if the club believe that Kodi Nikorima will be getting first shot in the halves in 2018, then he should play the majority of the season in the ISC (only coming into the NRL team if a halves spot is available due to origin, injury or suspension). I would have a quiet word to him so he knows when he isn't getting selected in the NRL squad, as I believe he is better playing 80mins at halfback in the ISC instead of 15 mins off the bench backing up for Macca

Like we all wanted Hunt & Norman doing while Lockyer & Wallace were still running around?

Active Now

• Strop
  • sooticus
  • Midean
  • Jazza
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Stix
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
  • broncotville
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.