Our realistic chances?

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Just saw Papalii score off a short ball ala what we throw over and over difference was they had two deep runners asking the defensive line big questions. McCrone held his pass til as late as possible and the guy marking Papalii (Robson I think) instinctively shifts to cover the deep runner opening a big hole for the short runner to score. Because they have options deep and play with pace the line doesn't rush up and holes are produced because deep players on different lines will always ask hard questions.

its simple stuff really.

the best halves are the ones that pick the right pass to make, based on how they read the defense.

and decoy runners shouldnt just be decoy runners. they need to expect the ball. they have to be an option.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Assuming Hoffman gets suspended, why wouldn't you just play Norman at fullback. Beale is leaving, who the **** cares about developing his skills as a fullback.

This. by 10000x Norman plays like a fullback, in my opinion is a better fullback than half, and I have absolutely no interest in developing talent for the dragons

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
agree id put beale in teh centres as hodges is out.

norman at the back. he will go well running off someone. put hunt in the halves.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Norman reminds me a bit of Wade Graham or Braith Anasta as a halve. You can see there are moments of excellent ball playing but you just know you are gonna get a much better game overall out of them when you put them eslewhere, that way they don't have to be expected to produce for others and can just worry about their own game. Wade Graham said that the other day in an interview about how much he is loving not having to worry about anyone but himself in terms of involvement and distributing the ball. Norman looks like a fullback/centre/lock waiting to happen he has a little bit of ball skills but not enough to confidently control the team or consistently create points.

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
To me, Norman actually reminds me of Joel Moon. He has some play making ability, but ultimately looks better as a ball player and ball runner. It would be interesting to see how Norman would play at centre (unlikely to happen though), he could still run the ball and be a ball-player but not focus on creatining the opportunities.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
its simple stuff really.

the best halves are the ones that pick the right pass to make, based on how they read the defense.

And therein lies the problem. Corey Norman is flat out reading the cartoon page of the paper, let alone a defensive line.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I really wisk Lockyer had stayed around another year. I think after the experience gained by the young guys last year, and with Lockyers on field leadership and skills, we could have won it this year.

I don't tthink the current halves, especially Norman, are up to finals footy at the moment.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I really wisk Lockyer had stayed around another year. I think after the experience gained by the young guys last year, and with Lockyers on field leadership and skills, we could have won it this year.

I don't tthink the current halves, especially Norman, are up to finals footy at the moment.

100% - If this was lockys last year (obviously barring injury or any other factors that can't be controlled) I think the boys would be sizing up there premiership rings now. In saying that I don't begrudge locky retiring at all after all he has given and I do honestly think there is at least one if not more premierships in this current crop. My main disappointment over the last few weeks has not been with the young half finding his feet, or the halfback that (besides the last few games) is genuinely solid and always gives his all. My main disappointment is with the guys that should be leading the way like Thaiday and Hodges, especially hodges... he looks like he couldn't give a **** at the moment, hopefully a few weeks off freshens him up and adjusts his attitude.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Love the post/mid-season BroncoHQ doom rant. It happens every year. I think it might be winter settling in.

Get a bit of perspective. Those glooming now were probably the same saying that we were premiership material in the early Rounds.

Origin time has always been a trying time for the Broncos and I think we've come out OK and I can remember worse years.

The other team most effected by Origin is the Storm (Smith, Cronk, Slater - still injured) and possibly the Sharks (Gallen and Carney) -and look how each of them are travelling.

That said, I think the next 2 are must win games (Eels (H) and Raiders (A)) to soften the blow of a very hard run home.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Let's look at our season. The only games we've won against teams currently in the top 8 are:
4. Souths (twice) -
8. Tigers (narrowly) - TOUTED AS PREMIERSHIP FAVOURTIES AT THE TIME

We've lost to top 8 teams:
2. Melbourne
5. Sharks - WITH OUR UNDER 20S SIDE PLAYING
6. Cowboys (twice) - LAST PLAY OF THE GAME
7. Manly - LAST PLAY OF THE GAME

We still haven't played the Bulldogs who are by far the form team of the competition.

We've got a telling injury toll. Internationals Yow Yeh, Reed, and now Hodges. Origin player Parker is out. Copley out for an extended period.

And then there's the well documented problems with our attack.

Realistically, I think a finals spot will be a good achievement given all of that. A premiership would be a miracle.

Valid points but the NRL is such a random, who shows up this week competition

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I like the Norman to fullback idea.

He's obviously (this year) been coached to run the ball as much as possible. Would be interesting seeing how a Hunt, Wallace, Norman sweeping play might work because Norman is a much better playmaker than Hoffman.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Really hope all of our best players are back firing in the late rounds of the competition and are fit and firing, if that happens I wouldn't be writting ourselves off yet.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Mate, comparisons to 2006 are pointless. For one reason: No Lockyer.

Peter Wallace is probably narrowly better than Shane Perry. Corey Norman is a nuffy. Therein lies the difficulty with being anything more than making up the numbers in the finals.

Broncos1995

Broncos1995

BRL Player
Mar 15, 2012
Mate, comparisons to 2006 are pointless. For one reason: No Lockyer.

Peter Wallace is probably narrowly better than Shane Perry. Corey Norman is a nuffy. Therein lies the difficulty with being anything more than making up the numbers in the finals.

Really ? wasn't 2006 the year people said Lockyer was a bad five-eight and should be moved back to Fullback, and Prince and Thurston should be the SOO Halves. Peter Wallace isn't as bad you think and i'll give you norman the guy is a centre or backrower. The problem with team atm is not our halves, it's basically anyone who is picked to play form 1 to 17 we started the season on fire but now we've hit the post origin phase and the question can we handle it ?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Browny
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bronx48
  • Big Del
  • Behold
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.