Parker and Slater MAY miss Origin 3 - who to move where?

When is the team named?

Trex is looking ominously good

For the first time in ages, the QLD one is more mysterious than NSWs.

Watching T-Rex play yesterday makes me wish QLD played Taylor in a similar role rather than up the middle. I mean, come on! We have 4 massive props already in the team, let Taylor run roit on the edges and have Inglis trail for his offloads.

I can't shake the memories of Bowen playing for QLD. Take out the memory of his intercept try in golden point and all you can picture is big men running over the top of him. Especially Mason in game 1, 2006.

Size is also an issue in attack. Inglis coming into the backline is capable of swatting defenders off him, even if they mark up. If they mark up on Bowen, he's not going to bust them. He's only dangerous in attack in broken play, against tired defences, or against defences that aren't set. And since Inglis is just as potent in those situations, and has the ability to create something against a set defence, I'd prefer Inglis.

The only area I think Bowen is superior over Inglis would be in his positioning and reading of the play in defence. Bowen always seems to pop up in the right place at the right time for the Cowboys, and I think Inglis is still much less instinctive in that area of his game (not surprisingly).

Yeah, absolutely right. Hadn't thought about that on the Inglis side - if Inglis moves to full back NSW will surely re-arrange their line and have stronger numbers else where in defence as at the moment they need 2-3 on Inglis when he gets the ball (1 to get palmed and two to tackle him, heh)

To Mister Wright - problem is that Taylor hasn't been running like that anymore - wish he was 'running' like T-Rex, he has the size and strength, just needs a kick, and what about the dropped balls by Taylor on the weekend!

Last edited:
Mal says he might even wait up to an hour before the game to name the positions in the side - not much hope for us finding out until late I suppose but BOY WILL IT GIVE RICKY HEADACHES :lol: Inglis or Bowen at fullback is a huge difference in where Ricky should put his players! haha! (plus the other possibilities, I seem to remember Ricky keeping his cards hidden until the 11th hour time and time again)

It's annoying not knowing for sure but you gotta love it.. (just hope players definitely not playing are released in time for their NRL games).

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...eam-announcement/story-e6frep5x-1226408783286

I really doubt Slater will play - if he does NSW will target his knee big time.. or maybe he plays Slater if Slater says he's fit and wants to risk it and then keep Bowen on the bench as a 'just in case' / 'bring on when forwards are tired' role.

Last edited:
With both teams naming squads rather than teams for the 3rd game makes me long for a three week dedicated Origin Period. How good would it be to have 20-22 players named the week before the first game. Three games in three weeks on a Saturday night. Nobody would care that club football is not being played, it would be all the talk. None of the other codes would get a look in for news coverage, it would be, "Origin This", "Origin That". Would be fantastic.

I agree 100% I would also push for the North/South Island concept to happen on the same weekends for the Kiwis to try and keep them out of Origin and playing for NZ. I would also suggest having the Toyota Cup continue through the period but play the games at regional centres for those 3 weeks as well. It really ruins the standard for a 9 week period and as you say a 3 week block would be brilliant blackout coverage for the game.

With both teams naming squads rather than teams for the 3rd game makes me long for a three week dedicated Origin Period. How good would it be to have 20-22 players named the week before the first game. Three games in three weeks on a Saturday night. Nobody would care that club football is not being played, it would be all the talk. None of the other codes would get a look in for news coverage, it would be, "Origin This", "Origin That". Would be fantastic.

Would be very interesting... but which end to shift the 3 NRL rounds to? Start of the year or end?

One week earlier. Reduce the comp to 24 rounds, ditch the byes.

do not want.

if we do that, what do we do if like this year it comes to game 3 and one team is carrying 4-5 injuries? other players havent played for 3 weeks so it makes choosing replacement a bit hard.

we just need origin on its own weekends, thats it.

do not want.

if we do that, what do we do if like this year it comes to game 3 and one team is carrying 4-5 injuries? other players havent played for 3 weeks so it makes choosing replacement a bit hard.

It's no different to the end of year tours where they have "train on" squads during the finals. You'd have your top 20-22 squad, and an additional 10 "train on" squad that would effectively be shadows in case any of the main squad gets injured.

I would much prefer 3 weeks consecutive for Origin than 1 week Origin, then club, then Origin, then club, then Origin.

Sure if you have a break from the comp at say round 11 for 3 weeks, then coming back for round 12 teams will have gone backwards a bit, but from there it's a full on run into the finals with no interruption.

As it stands, Origin currently does significant damage to the quality of the premiership for nearly 9 rounds.

do not want.

It's a similar situation that we have at the moment. If your team has the bye before Origin you don't get a chance to press your claims and if you are not an Origin player you don't play for 2 weeks anyway.

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • cento
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • broncs30
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.