Parker and Slater MAY miss Origin 3 - who to move where?

It's a similar situation that we have at the moment. If your team has the bye before Origin you don't get a chance to press your claims and if you are not an Origin player you don't play for 2 weeks anyway.

you dont get your chance to press your claims for one origin match, but you do for the other 2. with 3 origins over 3 weeks with no regular matches in between, you dont.

Performances in matches which are either missing Origin stars, or have Origin stars backing up aren't as meaningful as pre-Origin when all teams are fresh and focussed only on club football.

It works in Rugby Union, where they took a 3 week break from Super Rugby for the Wales series, and there's no reason it can't work in the NRL.

you dont get your chance to press your claims for one origin match, but you do for the other 2. with 3 origins over 3 weeks with no regular matches in between, you dont.

Yeah, that is a pretty decent point - many players do lift if they think there may be some focus on them for a spot. NSW even have their own City vs Country to help them decide for example... (yes, QLD team is more predictable presently, but when injuries come up like this year...)

Is very entertaining to watch too .. origin seems to lift a lot of players..

Both versions have very strong points.. Might see better NRL coming back after a 3 week break as players have had a spell..

Last edited:
It works in Rugby Union, where they took a 3 week break from Super Rugby for the Wales series, and there's no reason it can't work in the NRL.

rugby union also has an australian squad permanantly on the books though, as if they were an NRL team. origin teams dont, and shouldnt, have that.

I don't see the significance. The Wallabies still pick a squad for each series, and there's still players who don't play if they're not picked in the Test teams.

I see far more benefit to having a 3 week sustained Origin campaign, and then either side of that being solely devoted to the NRL premiership.

It will take getting used to for people to only have the 1 game on the weekend (or 2 if you do get a Kiwi version of Origin happening, which personally I don't see...I'd rather see Kiwis vs PNG and/or GB for a 3 week series). But I think from a season momentum, marketing and player welfare perspective it's the best option. (Aside from having Origin after the GF, but that's unpalatable to most people).

I know you're not suggesting it, but could never imagine having origin after the grand final.. every year when that first cold whether is felt the first thing I think about is maroon and blue and that smell you get coming up from a frosty footy field. Cold part of the year just wouldn't be the same with out it.

Yeah, it's always hard to forget that biff in 2010 near the NSW sticks after the bomb (think it was 2010) - if there was any mongrel it would have come out there.. I think the best we can hope for is hard hits and hard runs and if he does that then should reap enough reward.

Funny but, just thinking there for a second, the only time I have seen Taylor get really agro is when he plays Brisbane - maybe he needs to imagine NSW are Brisbane? hah...

Yeah, it's always hard to forget that biff in 2010 near the NSW sticks after the bomb (think it was 2010) - if there was any mongrel it would have come out there.. I think the best we can hope for is hard hits and hard runs and if he does that then should reap enough reward.

Funny but, just thinking there for a second, the only time I have seen Taylor get really agro is when he plays Brisbane - maybe he needs to imagine NSW are Brisbane? hah...

No because he always plays shit against us. I think he tries TOO hard against Brisbane. Maybe that's an argument for him to stay calm?

No because he always plays shit against us. I think he tries TOO hard against Brisbane. Maybe that's an argument for him to stay calm?

Haha.. true. But it's the only time I have noticed him get 'agro' so to speak. I remember a couple of occasions he was right up in Hannant's face and last game they played (couple of weeks back) I saw him drop an elbow onto Hannant's chest, lol...

Thought this was pretty funny (and true?). Someone from Mt Isa posted it under an online news article about the QLD line up:

" DOESN'T MATTER, MY SECOND TEAM WOULD GIVE IT TO THE BLUES TO!!!! QLD B- 2nd TEAM THAT WOULD SMASH NSW TOO!! 1-B Barba 2-A Graham 3-D Neilson 4-W Tonga 5-Lote T 6-C Norman 7-S Prince 8-J Mcguire 9-A Payne 10-J Lillyman 11-N Costigan 12-M Crocker 13-Dallas Johnson 14-C Mcqueen 15-B Lowe 16-D Stagg 17-S Bolton 18 MAN-D C Evans "

Don't know if they could beat NSW for sure, but would be a close game I would imagine.

Thought this was pretty funny (and true?). Someone from Mt Isa posted it under an online news article about the QLD line up:

" DOESN'T MATTER, MY SECOND TEAM WOULD GIVE IT TO THE BLUES TO!!!! QLD B- 2nd TEAM THAT WOULD SMASH NSW TOO!! 1-B Barba 2-A Graham 3-D Neilson 4-W Tonga 5-Lote T 6-C Norman 7-S Prince 8-J Mcguire 9-A Payne 10-J Lillyman 11-N Costigan 12-M Crocker 13-Dallas Johnson 14-C Mcqueen 15-B Lowe 16-D Stagg 17-S Bolton 18 MAN-D C Evans "

Don't know if they could beat NSW for sure, but would be a close game I would imagine.

sif Prince would be picked over DCE

Well... I just have to say that watching Taylor play made me feel sick that he isn't lining up on Wednesday night... who said he should have been dropped over...? Anyone that 'the' Gus Gould doesn't want in the QLD team should be there every time. How many wraps did they give him throughout the game? That just doesn't happen to any player... and he deserved it.

EDIT: http://www.nrl.com/qld-discard-taylor-destroys-panthers/tabid/10874/newsid/68360/default.aspx (added link)

Last edited:
The problem is he's incosistent though. He could play the worst game of his life next time he plays

Well... I just have to say that watching Taylor play made me feel sick that he isn't lining up on Wednesday night... who said he should have been dropped over...? Anyone that 'the' Gus Gould doesn't want in the QLD team should be there every time. How many wraps did they give him throughout the game? That just doesn't happen to any player... and he deserved it.

EDIT: http://www.nrl.com/qld-discard-taylor-destroys-panthers/tabid/10874/newsid/68360/default.aspx (added link)

To be honest, in the NRL, he should play like that every week !

Origin though, as we know, is totally different, and you don't have the time/room to do what you would normally be able to in the NRL.

I hope whatever it is that lead to him getting the flick from the side gets sorted out.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Rah88
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.