Parker and Slater MAY miss Origin 3 - who to move where?

Agree with Dexter. Just because someone's a monster doesn't mean they should play prop. He's fast, has a phenomenal offload, and even a trick shot kicking game, he has to be played as a wide running back rower. That's when he's most damaging.

And let's face it, mentally he's not tough enough to defend up the middle.

Of the 2 games so far, there's absolutely no doubt that Cronk and Thurston have, relative to their ability, been the worst performers in either team.

gilletts faster.
and has a better offload.
and a better kicking game.

:P

but agreed - Taylor is not a prop, and shouldnt be played as one. if you put someone in a position based on physical size alone, players like Inglis and Folau shouldve been second rowers if not props. you have to look at them as a whole, not just their size. taylor is not a battering ram and should never be used as one. it took bennett years to try and figure that out (and he still didnt by the time taylor left), and mal seems to still not have figured it out.

agreed about thurston and cronk. Cronks second half performance in game 2 was excellent though, so i think he's primed for a big game 3 now that he KNOWS he has to take control away from Thurston, and Thurston knows he has to relinquish control. Hopefully itll bring out Thurstons attacking game too as all he has to do is worry about himself.

Totally agree. I can't see Cronk and Thurston playing a 3rd bad game in a row.

I thought they became extinct in 2006 after Adam Mogg got selected?

Touche. But as I recall back then there were no better options available.
Nielsen and O'Neill are 2 better options than Graham already.

Gillett is gone IMO if Parker is available. It's plain to everyone he has lost form and Qld can't carry him in a must win game.

His move to the run on side hasn't been a success, he is far better served to be back on the bench for us and hopefully regain form.

+1. There's still a lot of selection nightmare's IMO. Only Scott, Thaiday, Myles, Smith, Harrison, Shillington, Civo (they won't drop him), and probably Hannant are guaranteed. Parker, Gillett, Taylor are all harder to fit. Especially if they want a utility. We could name Parker in place of Harrison IMO, which is very un-Queensland like but would leave open a bench spot. The bench is going to have to be used better than in Gm2, Hannant needs more minutes, as soon as the starters look tired. Civo/Shillo could be swapped from starter to bench, but I think with Civo you get his best in first 15 mins.

Look at this;
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civo*
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Harrison

14. Parker
15. Shillington*
16. Hannant
17. Taylor

That's a wonderfully heavy bench with no recognised utility. Does only 1 of the 3 get selected (Gillett, DT, Parker) and we bring in Barba (not IMO) or another utility or do we say Parker/Taylor is a utility? This all equals even less attacking prowess if we need to use the utility and I don't like it.
1. GI
2. Boyd
3. Nielsen
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. JT
7. Cronk

The Pro is we have all seen GI at fullback (at club) and know he's unlikely to get physically monstered. However, he hhas no natural combination with either of the halves which could be a massive concern. Defensivly, Nielsen is a rock.

IMO, this backline may not produce as much points as we usually do at Lang Park, but it still produces more than this one;

1. Bowen
2. Boyd
3. GI
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. JT
7. Cronk

While it looks great on paper to have the JT-Bowen combo, I think people might be forgetting that we have all highlighted the problem with JT/Cronk not clicking and each player trying to be the primary playmaker. Given that it's likely Cronk will take control in Gm3 and JT will call it adhoc (akin to Lockyer), then the link with Bowen is an over exaggerated prospect IMO. JT as 2nd reciever isn't going to have ball in hand when Bowen is sniffing on the inside around the ruck. That will be Cronk feeding Bowen that ball. So we will be risking the defensive capability of Bowen (great defensive player, but small for a fullback under the highball) for a combo which may not ever be used or at the bets, used very sparingly.

I'm leaning toward GI at fullback, Nielsen to centres. Nielsen is a part of the squad anyways and will be picking up from where he left off IMO.

I can't shake the memories of Bowen playing for QLD. Take out the memory of his intercept try in golden point and all you can picture is big men running over the top of him. Especially Mason in game 1, 2006.

Size is also an issue in attack. Inglis coming into the backline is capable of swatting defenders off him, even if they mark up. If they mark up on Bowen, he's not going to bust them. He's only dangerous in attack in broken play, against tired defences, or against defences that aren't set. And since Inglis is just as potent in those situations, and has the ability to create something against a set defence, I'd prefer Inglis.

The only area I think Bowen is superior over Inglis would be in his positioning and reading of the play in defence. Bowen always seems to pop up in the right place at the right time for the Cowboys, and I think Inglis is still much less instinctive in that area of his game (not surprisingly).

I am still thinking that Boyd to fullback and O'Neil on to the wing is our best option.

+1. There's still a lot of selection nightmare's IMO. Only Scott, Thaiday, Myles, Smith, Harrison, Shillington, Civo (they won't drop him), and probably Hannant are guaranteed. Parker, Gillett, Taylor are all harder to fit. Especially if they want a utility. We could name Parker in place of Harrison IMO, which is very un-Queensland like but would leave open a bench spot. The bench is going to have to be used better than in Gm2, Hannant needs more minutes, as soon as the starters look tired. Civo/Shillo could be swapped from starter to bench, but I think with Civo you get his best in first 15 mins.

Look at this;
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civo*
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Harrison

14. Parker
15. Shillington*
16. Hannant
17. Taylor

That's a wonderfully heavy bench with no recognised utility. Does only 1 of the 3 get selected (Gillett, DT, Parker) and we bring in Barba (not IMO) or another utility or do we say Parker/Taylor is a utility? This all equals even less attacking prowess if we need to use the utility and I don't like it.
1. GI
2. Boyd
3. Nielsen
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. JT
7. Cronk

The Pro is we have all seen GI at fullback (at club) and know he's unlikely to get physically monstered. However, he hhas no natural combination with either of the halves which could be a massive concern. Defensivly, Nielsen is a rock.

IMO, this backline may not produce as much points as we usually do at Lang Park, but it still produces more than this one;

1. Bowen
2. Boyd
3. GI
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. JT
7. Cronk

While it looks great on paper to have the JT-Bowen combo, I think people might be forgetting that we have all highlighted the problem with JT/Cronk not clicking and each player trying to be the primary playmaker. Given that it's likely Cronk will take control in Gm3 and JT will call it adhoc (akin to Lockyer), then the link with Bowen is an over exaggerated prospect IMO. JT as 2nd reciever isn't going to have ball in hand when Bowen is sniffing on the inside around the ruck. That will be Cronk feeding Bowen that ball. So we will be risking the defensive capability of Bowen (great defensive player, but small for a fullback under the highball) for a combo which may not ever be used or at the bets, used very sparingly.

I'm leaning toward GI at fullback, Nielsen to centres. Nielsen is a part of the squad anyways and will be picking up from where he left off IMO.

Totally agree with you hammo. Bowen's combo with thurston only works if thurson is the primary ball player, which we know he cant be in this side so it removes the advantage of going with bowen. Slater gets smashed playing origin, and i really dont wanna see the blues dish out the same punishment to bowen coz i dont think he will handle it as well. Inglis, while orsm in the centres, is not getting much space, and is basically being wasted there. may as well bring in nielsen just to plug that hole in defence, and let GI roam around at fullback where he is at his best

Touche. But as I recall back then there were no better options available.
Nielsen and O'Neill are 2 better options than Graham already.

you could do worse than Graham though. for what QLD needs from a winger - catch the ball after being put in open space by the centre, get the ball down over the try line - there arent many better than Graham. hes a finisher, not so much a creator. but look at Boyd in origin - hes got what, 8 tries or something, where he has basically just had a free run to the line in every single one of them.

on Bowen, i think his combination with Thurston could be a game breaker. he is such a menace for the defense with him hanging off thurstons shoulder every set of six. and while he is excellent under the high ball these days, catching the bomb isnt the only danger - hes then gotta not get picked up and dragged back in-goals. thats what im worried about.

Inglis is just getting starved of ball by the NSW defense, and he is our main attacking weapon, especially with slater out. at fullback he will get his hands on the ball 20+ times guaranteed, which can only mean good things for us.

My dislike of Graham comes from his ability to be an absolute nuffie when it comes to picking up a ball kicked along the ground.

My dislike of Graham comes from his ability to be an absolute nuffie when it comes to picking up a ball kicked along the ground.

you must hate dave taylor then lol

Taylor didnt help his chances of retaining his spot tonight. Horribly performance. Having said that, looks like we may be without Harrison now so I cant see taylor being dropped. Parker will play lock, thaiday back into 12. bench will be the same as game 1

Barba had a cracking game against the Storm today, some of his attack was unstoppable. He may just have played his way into a maroon jersey.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Morkel
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • theshed
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Bish
  • Griffo
  • MrMoore
  • Galah
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.