RUMOUR Payne Haas 10yrs

i don't think we are ... this was a proposal that Haas' management made to the club (the 10 year one) ... we are just considering it
If it gets to board level it presumably has the support of management.

Not necessarily, it could be passed onto the board purely because of the amount of money involved.

Interesting that it was Haas' management that initiated this deal and not the Broncos 🤨

Ben Ikin says it's up to Karl Morris, who would prefer to extend Payne's existing three year contract to five years, but increase the pay to around the $1 million a season mark:

“There is a board meeting coming up early next month, so for a contract of that size, it would get elevated to board level. There is no rush for us really. Payne is contracted until the end of 2024 so there is no time pressure, it has to go to the appropriate levels and the board will make a decision on that.”

Taumalolo:

“Payne’s obviously worked hard to put himself in a position where he can look after himself financially. That’s great for him. He has played some great footy and deserves a long-term deal. He played well in the Origin series and that’s carried over to his club form. It’s always a good game when you’re playing the Broncos and Payne is leading that pack.”

Payne Haas:

“With the contract stuff, I leave it to my manager and I‘ll keep playing footy. It’s hard to say if I will be a Bronco for life. I would love to stay at one club for the whole of my career but in rugby league, it’s a business and you never know what can happen. I‘m sure that contract stuff will be taken care of ... we’ll see what happens.”

McHunt

A 10 year $10 million deal benefits no one but the player and his agent, no benefit for the club whatsoever. If you want a 10 year deal, accept a much lower figure of like $700k.
10years 700k with CO for year 9 and 10.
5 year deal at 900k, fine with that, he's absolutely worth it and the risk is extremely low.

Honestly, management's (Ikin/DD/Kevvie) support is probably more along the lines of trying not to alienate the clubs best player ... which is exactly what would happen if you told Haas and his management to go away and come back to us in 2 years (regardless of how politely you word it)

10years 700k with CO for year 9 and 10.
5 year deal at 900k, fine with that, he's absolutely worth it and the risk is extremely low.

Yeah I'm fine with that too. My only concern is that not many clubs with one million dollar forward are all that successful. That kind of money needs to be in your spine.

Taumalolo:

“Payne’s obviously worked hard to put himself in a position where he can look after himself financially. That’s great for him. He has played some great footy and deserves a long-term deal. He played well in the Origin series and that’s carried over to his club form. It’s always a good game when you’re playing the Broncos and Payne is leading that pack.”
Interesting how jt talks here. As though he believes Payne has put in the hard yards and can relax a little if he gets the mega deal. Just put your feet up a bit son, to paraphrase.

article says the board would prefer a five-year arrangement encompassing Haas’ existing deal. That scenario would see Haas remain at Red Hill until the end of 2026 on a potential salary of $1 million annually, which would still represent one of the richest contracts in the NRL for a forward.
And that would be a more reasonable outcome... if he wants security you extend the contract but drop the price

Seeing Haas on 9 sport tonight, isn't giving me conference.

Chris Garry spinning this on 7 as "Payne will turn down being a Bronco for life" because of what they did to TPJ. They then show a clip of Payne saying it's a business ect the quote above and Garry says its code for "you can take a walk" or something.

Didn't Payne and his management put this to the club knowing TPJ was on the outer months ago. Seems like garb from Garry here.

Instead of saying, my friends have left, but I want to stay, he was saying things like things in footy change etc blah blah blah.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.