RUMOUR Payne Haas 10yrs

Great deal. The kid is a once in a generation talent. Potentially the best front rower to ever play the game. He hasn’t shown complacency yet. Hasn’t dogged it once and had plenty of opportunity too. Lock him down. Never want to see him in colours but ours!

I don't know about 10 million dollarydoos, surely 800k a year for 10 years is a fairer outcome for all parties unless there's clauses to protect the club if he falls off in the last few years. I don't have any concerns he won't be a 10 year player, he's a beast but 10 years is a looong time.

Surely we convert his 3 remaining years to 6 years, and offer him like 800k? He gets an immediate 900k boost over the next 3 years which will give him an incentive to extend for another 3 years.

I’m surprised how unanimously happy everyone is about this. I think this is a terrible idea.

Name 1 player on a $900+ per season deal who was still a good investment 3 years on. DCE has been alright, Lolo is already beginning to fizzle.

Images

But seriously I'm really 50/50 on this. I want to keep Haas as much as the next fan and think his worth more then what he's currently on but damn that is a lot to commit to such a length of time. No excuses if this goes south that's for sure.

I’m surprised how unanimously happy everyone is about this. I think this is a terrible idea.

Name 1 player on a $900+ per season deal who was still a good investment 3 years on. DCE has been alright, Lolo is already beginning to fizzle.
Is lolo actually fizzling or has Payten just neutered him. He was awesome last year, comes in and gives Lolo limited minutes and has killed his game.

I don't know about 10 million dollarydoos, surely 800k a year for 10 years is a fairer outcome for all parties unless there's clauses to protect the club if he falls off in the last few years. I don't have any concerns he won't be a 10 year player, he's a beast but 10 years is a looong time.

Surely we convert his 3 remaining years to 6 years, and offer him like 800k? He gets an immediate 900k boost over the next 3 years which will give him an incentive to extend for another 3 years.

My thoughts exactly. 10 years is dumb IMO, a lot can happen in that time. Bump his current contract up and give him an extra 3...4 if it sweetens the deal.

I think the Taumalolo deal should be a cautionary tale in this situation. He was perhaps worth that contract 5 or so years ago, but with the combination of older age and the latest round of rule changes, his affect on the game has been comfortably blunted, and you wouldn't say JT2 is a 1 million dollar forward today.

Haas does seem like a once in a generation talent, but he still has deficiencies, most notably in his goal line defence. That to me would knock his value down to around 850-900k, which I would be more than happy to pay him over 10 years. As it is, I think if he wants 1 million, the length should only be 5-6 years.

The sad truth of the matter is we're being FORCED to offer him that much money for that long, because the club knows as well as we do that when late 2022 rolls around, the entire comp is going to be banging on Haas door, especially the cashed up ones like the Dogs and Tigers, who will throw ridiculous money at him out of desperation.

I guess I’m still scarred from what happened the last time this club gave a long term, $1 million / season contract to someone and how quickly they got comfortable and subsequently fell off a form cliff.

And sure, Payne has shown a lot more dedication, heart and passion than Milford. But long term, big value contracts; I can’t help thinking of the old adage once bitten, twice shy.

As a happy medium, couldn’t we just extend his current agreement by 5 years and top it up by $200k-$300k or so per year? Then, if form warrants it obviously, 2 years out from the expiry of his updated contract term, look to extend and increase again?

I’m not sure if I like this or not yet as 10 years is a bloody long time but he would be one of the few current NRL players that there would be some confidence in offering it.

Put in context of his current agreement it’s more a 7 year extension. I would be really happy if it was 7 years total with pay bump on his current contract.

I don’t hate the idea that Hass is here for 10 years providing it doesn’t impact his desire to get better but I guess that’s the risk…

Haas on the open market right now gets over a million, especially when you consider the money FIfi is on to deliver the Titans fans a bottom 8 finish.
He'll be getting the vet allowance too I assume? Who else would be eligible for that considering we're looking outside the club for players/ any of our young guns coming through won't be eligible for it in 5ish years.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like any players developed by the club are eligible. It should be more that 200k obviously, but that's a different argument.

Signing haas up to be a bronco for life is a smart move, unsure if the 1mil a year for 10 years is we will only know when that 10 years is up.
Problem is the article I seen says 10 clubs are already trying to talk to Payne id say nearly everyone of those will be offering that same sort of money or close to it.
If we're going to sign him 1mil for 10 years we've got to have players taking unders to play here and stay here.
I'd upgrade his current contract for the next 2 years maybe even extend abit and talk to Payne about whether he wants to build a successful team around him or have alot budget options around him.

Haas on the open market right now gets over a million, especially when you consider the money FIfi is on to deliver the Titans fans a bottom 8 finish.
He'll be getting the vet allowance too I assume? Who else would be eligible for that considering we're looking outside the club for players/ any of our young guns coming through won't be eligible for it in 5ish years.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like any players developed by the club are eligible. It should be more that 200k obviously, but that's a different argument.
Haas isn't exactly delivering us a top 8 finish either, is he?

The point isn't what Haas is worth on the market, it is irrelevant because he isn't on the market. If he feels he is undervalued then lets pay him what he's worth but we hold the chips here because he is under contract.

JFH has been far and away the best prop in the competition this year and he's put up numbers that are better than Haas'. In fact, 50%+ of his peers think JFH is the best prop in the game. He's just had his deal extended as club captain coming off his best ever season and even he's not on 1mil a season.

I am a firm believe that spine players are the only guys who should be on that sort of money. We need to stop acting like this is a good deal - it is not.

Offering any player a 10 year deal is dumb. Great way to put a player into a massive comfort zone. I wouldnt go over 3 years for any of them.

That might seem sensible on its face, but you won't have a squad to field if you adopt it.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • eggstar10
  • Strop
  • Bish
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • kman
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.