RUMOUR Payne Haas 10yrs

My thoughts exactly. 10 years is dumb IMO, a lot can happen in that time. Bump his current contract up and give him an extra 3...4 if it sweetens the deal.
Everything I've seen makes me think he is one of those rare players you can say will be a once in a generation player and whilst there would definitely be caveats for player performance on and off the field, I think if you could have signed Lockyer or one of the other immortals on a deal like that you grab it with both hands.
Even if his performance drops in 7 or 8 years, you have bought someone who can stand with the greatest front rowers of all time and be the face of the Broncos (and only the Broncos).
Maybe there will be better forwards at the end of his career but do we really want him playing for a Canterbury or roosters because of the price of a journeyman forward.
In the end every signing is a risk but I haven't of a more professional approach to a player's preparation than what Haas has shown and that's good enough for me to back it.

Hopefully they remember his off-field crap from only last off-season...

Sign him sure, but make sure there are some clauses in there, that allow the club to extract themselves, should he go off the deep end, ala Paul Vaughan…

That might seem sensible on its face, but you won't have a squad to field if you adopt it.

Of course you would. Players aren't suddenly going to desert the the club because they can only get a 3 year deal. Only foolish clubs are going to get caught having players on long, overblown contracts in the years to come. You may make an exception and give the odd player a 4 year deal, but anything over is pure madness. Once a player gets in a comfort zone and gets complacent you are asking for trouble.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

I hope for your sakes it doesn't backfire but that's the only way I see a deal that massive ending.

I hope it's BS and it's a 10 year deal as in making his current 6 year contract a 10 year one, so a 4 year extension, which would be 7 left.

10 is too long. Please be 7.

Of course you would. Players aren't suddenly going to desert the the club because they can only get a 3 year deal. Only foolish clubs are going to get caught having players on long, overblown contracts in the years to come. You may make an exception and give the odd player a 4 year deal, but anything over is pure madness. Once a player gets in a comfort zone and gets complacent you are asking for trouble.
He has been going pretty good for a guy on a five year deal

I would hope the contract is littered with performance clauses after year 3.
I would also hope there is a maximum payout figure for injury. %based on contract remaining.

Considering the long term fiscal implications this could have, they best get it right.

I’m surprised how unanimously happy everyone is about this. I think this is a terrible idea.

Name 1 player on a $900+ per season deal who was still a good investment 3 years on. DCE has been alright, Lolo is already beginning to fizzle.
Name 1 player who's:

1. been as underpaid as Haas the last two seasons.
2. Payne Haas.

I don't understand the rush to extend Haas. We got him for a bargain and there's still another 3+ years left on his contract. Just enjoy the fruits of a good value buy then talk about an extension on the final year.

no no no no no no no. this seems like a terrible idea. you should never EVER!! offer a player 10 year no matter how goood they are. should be 3-4 years max and just extend the deal after 2-3 if the player is performing well. that's how all the great teams have kept hold of all there great players for centuries.

why take the risk.

not to mention the vlandys empire err i mean admin have shown they will make crazy rule changes on the fly. whose to say the next rule change they make wont make a player like pain hass obsolete or way less effective.

This just screams all kind of dumb im so suprised the likes of ikin and DD have okayed this.

He’s not lazy like Fifita though so there’s always that.
He's not being signed for 10 years. So much more risk in that. Just my opinion.

I'm not going to reply to the barb because that'd take us off topic.

Name 1 player who's:

1. been as underpaid as Haas the last two seasons.
2. Payne Haas.

I dont think he has been underpayed really. He signed a very good contract with us before he even proved anything, so his first few years he probably got overs. Add to that he's been a trouble magnet i dont think he has been hard done by really. I'd rather upgrade the rest of his current contract, maybe add on a year. Not a 10 year deal. Its crazy and it will end in tears.

He's not being signed for 10 years. So much more risk in that. Just my opinion.

I'm not going to reply to the barb because that'd take us off topic.
It would be fun though lol! Just giving you a quick one in the ribs, bit of banter big fella.

titans a shit though, I do enjoy your stop bye’s however.

it is too long but if there was ever a prop you’d feel “semi” confident in it not blowing up in your face it’s him.

I just dont get why us qld teams are so dumb to be offering over a million for forwards.

look at the history of the game and every team to win a premiership.

where is most of there salary tired up in?

the more i think about it the more dumbfounded i am that they are actually doing this.

I bet if you ask the cow admin right about now if they regret there offer to jt2 it would be 100% yes

There’s a lot of romanticism happening with this rumour. We all want him here forever and know he’s here forever, and we also want him to get paid well enough at the same time, but 10yrs is just far too long. I just hope we hit the right balance

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.