RUMOUR Payne Haas 10yrs

It’s bad for the club -

Far too long.

Far too much risk.

Far too much money for a front rower.

But it’s also bad for the player -

De-incentivises performance.

Creates a comfort zone.

Sends the message that there’s no need to develop or improve parts of his game.

I understand the idea of locking Payne up long term and we all want to see him here, but this isn’t the way to go about it.

5 years MAX @ $800k MAX.

This deal can go so wrong for both parties, there’s no need for it.

I don’t think Haas is the type of player that would relax. He’s got that mentality where he’s always going to be a hard worker.

There’s just too much risk of this blowing up in our faces for this to be anything but stupid thinking from the club.

Payne is the Broncos, I doubt it is for what Badel is saying, but Its probably close. This is not any run of the mill prop, this is a bloke who hasn't missed a tackle in both Origin games, came out last week for us played all but ten minutes and didn't miss a tackle while running down the length of the field in the last seconds to kill the final play. Everyone who is down on his defense needs to look at his stats he has missed about four in the last five including origin.

I am fine with it if, Payne will get that here or somewhere else its that simple. He is not going to stay for 700k. This place would be in meltdown if we let him go and some shit club picked him up for a mil because the club couldn't match it. I am glad we let Fifi go if we can keep Payne he is so important to our future and if and when the salary cap goes up it will be a great purchase.

Everyone forgets Daley and JT are not on the same type of contract, Cherries goes up and down with the cap so he could earn more then a mil but is currently on less. Jt is always on a mil so when the cap is up its not so bad. Hopefully Payne will be a fixed price deal, so when it increases we are better off cap wise. Both clubs still have other players on huge contracts.

10 Year contracts shouldn't be a thing in rugby league.
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Not on ridiculous money and He still had things to prove. Give a 21 year old a contract that pretty much guarantees him $10 million and watch him relax. Its absolutely crazy to offer a player a deal like that.
Id be more worried about the money than the time but the devil will be in the details if it turns out to be remotely true.

A 5 year extension is as far as I'd go with any player. That'll take him through to the end of the 2028 season at the age of 28.

Gives him an opportunity to sign another big contract here or elsewhere if he's still at the top of his game, but also gives the club an earlier out if he's not. Will give Haas more motivation to continue improving & putting in 100% effort every week as well, if he's slacking off over the final years of this contract, his age 29-33 contract will be for far less money.

You guys are all nuts, he is the only good thing about this club in the past 4 years and for a 21 year old, plays better and more consistently than any other Bronco in the last half decade.

I would 100% get behind this.

You guys are all nuts, he is the only good thing about this club in the past 4 years and for a 21 year old, plays better and more consistently than any other Bronco in the last half decade.

I would 100% get behind this.

Now, I don't want this to come across as Haas slander, because I love the kid and think he's an absolute weapon, but there's already signs of his impact being nullified by teams.

The lack of tackle breaks & offloads this season is a concern for me. I assume defenses are sending more guys at him and are making an extra effort to lock up the ball, but he'll need to find a way to bring those numbers back up if he wants to be the best prop in the NRL for the next decade.

Footwork before the line would be my suggestion. In his first couple of seasons he would regularly jag before the line and slice right through the defense, I don't see him doing that often this year. He just runs hard and straight (Which may have been the directive from Walters), but I think it hurts the team using him as a battering ram, his footwork is incredible for his size, he needs to use it more.

Now, I don't want this to come across as Haas slander, because I love the kid and think he's an absolute weapon, but there's already signs of his impact being nullified by teams.

View attachment 14046

The lack of tackle breaks & offloads this season is a concern for me. I assume defenses are sending more guys at him and are making an extra effort to lock up the ball, but he'll need to find a way to bring those numbers back up if he wants to be the best prop in the NRL for the next decade.

Footwork before the line would be my suggestion. In his first couple of seasons he would regularly jag before the line and slice right through the defense, I don't see him doing that often this year. He just runs hard and straight (Which may have been the directive from Walters), but I think it hurts the team using him as a battering ram, his footwork is incredible for his size, he needs to use it more.
Yea for sure, i see your point, and others as well, i was just being a smartass calling everyone nuts.
This deal is not without its risks, thats for sure.
I am just a huge Haas fan and would love to see him a Bronco for life.

Loads of bias on my end.

Payne is an exceptional player that not only deserves an exceptional contract but demands it. If not here it will be somewhere else. He’s effort, as a prop forward, in our last game running back nearly the length of the field to bash the ball over the dead ball line would have stirred the imagination of every recruitment manager on the planet. Make no mistake the vultures are circling.
I for one don’t have any problem with Payne being a Bronco for life and if this deal secures it so be it. We have put our trust in David to get us out of this mess and we need to put our trust in him to ensure this deal is done in a manner that won’t impact us unduly down the track. I have faith in our new management to get the job done.

Yup the more i think about it, and look back at what Payne has been able to do week in, week out in the wooden spoon team, the more i am on board with this regardless of the risk.

Get it done.
Also my faith in DD, Ikin and Walters is bolstered with news like this.
They know the talent in the team and are ensuring it stays here.

How many times has Haas been player of the round on here?

Well it worked well for Milford and Fifita. Keeps them hungry doesn’t it. How’s jt2 going ? Nice work Ben the flower pot man. We had 2 more years to see if he improved his defence and off loading ability. But no we reward him up front. What’s the lifespan of a front rower these days Ben? Pure Genius.
Please don’t ever compare Haas attitude and training ethic to those two lazy ***** ever again. I have no doubt this 10 year contract would be a bargain when it’s all said and done.

I don't understand the rush to extend Haas. We got him for a bargain and there's still another 3+ years left on his contract. Just enjoy the fruits of a good value buy then talk about an extension on the final year.
Thank goodness you don’t run the club, we did that with Fifita he ended up signing to another club for 1.3million. Melbourne storm do it all the time they don’t let the players get to last year because they know a bidding war is bad business. Should we bring Seibold and Paul White back for you mate? 😂

Please don’t ever compare Haas attitude and training ethic to those two lazy ***** ever again. I have no doubt this 10 year contract would be a bargain when it’s all said and done.

I highly doubt that IF it is a million a year. At best it will be a good decision IF everything goes right. It certainly won’t be a bargain, no million dollar deal is unless you are talking TTurbo.

IF it ends up being something like 8 years at 800k, then yes, that’s possible it ends up a bargain but still a massive, massive risk.

Smart move. 100% believe the club should make all assurances to keep this once in a generation player. Finally the club have finished their run of retention bungles

Congrats Benny Ikin. Wish I could see that spreadsheet of yours. Genius 👏

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Broncorob
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • BroncosMan
  • dasherhalo
  • davidp
  • Old Mate
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Lostboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • barker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • Broncos Maestro
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.