PLAYER Payne Haas

Let's say hypothetically we lose him, it would allow us to keep everyone else pretty much. There is no doubt whatsoever he would leave a MASSIVE hole that wouldn't be directly filled. It would seriously dent us and would be doubly compounded with us losing Flegs as well BUT, this isn't a bad starting side still. Of course, who knows what you do with the bench:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds/Madden/Who knows
8. Jensen
9. Mozer
10. Carrigan
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Paix
15. Willison/Who knows
16. Who knows
17. Piakura/Who knows

Would massively suck to have lost both Haas and Fifita though, when they came in to the team, it looked so exciting for the next decade.

Gut says Payne is gone, and has felt that way since he asked for a release.
Was just a matter of when, and who was paying top dollar.

I wont ever forget him saying he just wants to win games then asking for a release on the back of a 6 - 7 game winning streak.

Like Sproj, i hope ive got it completely wrong and he stays.

I figure even if we win a premiership with him in the next 2 seasons, he will still move on for more money elsewhere.

it was 2 weeks ago the news was full of him being on the verge of signing a long deal with us, then it all went quiet and the next thing we hear is Rugby circling.

There was none of this with the likes of Patty.

Let's say hypothetically we lose him, it would allow us to keep everyone else pretty much. There is no doubt whatsoever he would leave a MASSIVE hole that wouldn't be directly filled. It would seriously dent us and would be doubly compounded with us losing Flegs as well BUT, this isn't a bad starting side still. Of course, who knows what you do with the bench:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds/Madden/Who knows
8. Jensen
9. Mozer
10. Carrigan
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Paix
15. Willison/Who knows
16. Who knows
17. Piakura/Who knows

Would massively suck to have lost both Haas and Fifita though, when they came in to the team, it looked so exciting for the next decade
Loosing Haas will mean we will have to look at our bench differently because it's highly unlikely a like for like replacement comes along.
ATM Patty and Payne punch out big minutes of good quality so their replacements only need to play 20ish mintues.
Jensen and Flegler go 40 mins each so fleglers replacement needs to be able to play 40.
If we loose Payne, Kobe will need to play Payne minutes or we need a bench player who can cover what Kobe can't do.

with all the off field issues of recent seasons, part of me really wanted to convince myself Haas was good but not a player we would ultimately miss. I obviously failed at that because the man is a beast.

He has no doubt, somehow levelled up again this season. I honestly believe he is currently the best player in the world at his position. I don’t just mean he is the best prop in the world, I mean there is no other player in the competition who is currently executing in their position better than Payne Haas.

The only thing stopping him from being considered the overall best is the value of spine positions. A guy like Cleary or Munster aren’t doing their jobs as good as Payne is, it’s just that their jobs are considered of higher value.
TLDR?

just kidding, you're 100% right

Payne will sign with the broncs. There's not many other clubs that can afford him. We certainly can

Fixed.

That's why there's talk of Union poaching him. No cap issues there.
Yeah, exactly this. When I saw the 1.8mill French rugby offer, my heart sank a little.

600-800k per year more than our reported offer.

**** me, Id find that nearly to impossible to turn down, especially when I was in my early 20s.

That's you & your family set for life right there.

Yeah, exactly this. When I saw the 1.8mill French rugby offer, my heart sank a little.

600-800k per year more than our reported offer.

**** me, Id find that nearly to impossible to turn down, especially when I was in my early 20s.

That's you & your family set for life right there.
Just depends if Haas wants to stay close to family. They seem pretty tight.

Being on the other side of the world isn't exactly close but I suppose $1.8m a year you can just ship the whole family over!

I don't think he'd seriously consider playing overseas. He'll stay, at least in AUS, to be close to friends/family and I reckon the odds of him staying a Bronco is high.

I think it really depends on the details and length of the contracts on offer. The Broncos offer will be a career contract no doubt ( Like Patty’s) at a club he loves with his mates, playing formula 1 rugby league at home where his family is. Our offer won’t be easy to turn down!

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.