PLAYER Payne Haas

Paynes manager has already confirmed every club has flagged interest in Payne.
Insert Payne and club x. Once a week, until he has signed somewhere.
Next will be Newcastle, as he is a Newcastle boy. Here Petey, I’ll write it for you: “Newcastle to bring Payne home as AOB eyes extension”.

We have the money and I just don’t see him leaving. Manager obviously wants the best deal possible and at the moment he cannot go to DD and say Bulldogs are offering $X as he “shouldn’t” know such details until Nov 1..

Agreed, but you would think the combination of factors would have led Haas to re-sign already.
* top dollar offer from broncos.
* premiership contenders.
* close to family and incarcerated mother.
* his good mates all play at the broncos or just down the road.

So why hasn't he re-signed?
And don't tell me it's to test the market, as his management would be 100% aware of his worth and what he could command on the open market.

It's because he is waiting on a ridiculous Fifita like deal from a club that will be willing to destroy their cap on him with an unrealistic offer.

Ffs i just want him to sign an extension and put this shit to bed once and for all.
Yea, it’s all just posturing to squeeze every dollar out of the broncos imo. Though as you’ve pointed out, it also opens them to the potential of $1.6m per year to play for a desperate club.

If that is the case then I’m not even mad if he takes it, I just honestly would feel disappointed that potentially the best prop of all time has decided to squander their career.

Haha, look at these rubbery numbers:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...p/news-story/e46423606dfd2fbcf8ab20decbadaffe

Hooper:
“If I am looking at their front row rotation at the moment, surely they would have to let somebody go to accommodate Payne Haas,” Hooper said.

“Payne Haas if he remains at the Broncos he will be commanding upwards of $900,000 a season.

“Melbourne have got to match that to get him out of Red Hill.”

He wants 1.2 million+ to stay but the Storm can pick him up for $900,000. Just goes to prove 1.2 million on the cap for anyone else is only $900,000 at the Storm on their official books and I guess $300k on the second set of books.

Oddly I'm not worried about the Storm poaching Haas.

It would bring too much scrutiny on their already sketchy cap situation.

Roosters and Doggies are the real threats here as apparently both those teams have unlimited cap space.

It just doesn’t make sense why he would go to any other NRL club. He’s best mates with Patty and some other guys in the team, he’s at the club with the biggest fan base and most media attention, his teams coming first, and he/his manager apparently likes Kev. No team will blow our offer out of the water unless he’s prepared to slum it at the dogs or tigers. His family is here.

Even being objective as I can be, I honestly can’t think of where else he would possibly go for a better deal?

maybe the dogs to be with his mate TPJ and slightly more cash but then he is back at being a team outside the 8 with a rookie coach.

Maybe to a club with an elite coach but roosters are trash atm, Storm are wonky, and Wayne is leaving the phins in a year. Panthers won’t offer him the same kind of money.

I’m not saying we are the number one destination club but for Haas’ specific situation I just can’t see anything better out there.
The three things Payne is looking for apparently -

The first is ‘money’ and whether the club is willing to match the $1.1 million salary Haas will likely be offered by rivals.
The second is ‘ambition’ because Haas wants to be at a club that can win a premiership.
And the third is ‘opportunity’ as the 23-year-old would like post-career opportunities that will help him in life after football.

The third one is the one Payne should look at the most if considering a move to Melbourne, look at how many ex Broncos have a job at the club in some role.
The opportunities here in Brisbane are endless, specially if you stay on and be a club legend.
Melbourne is a AFL city no-one will know or even care who you are.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.