Peter Wallace officially released to join Panthers

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Re: Rumour - Peter Wallace returning to the Panthers?

Haven't seen anything of the Broncos NYC team this season, how fast is Taylor? Compared to someone in the NRL
Compared to Jack Reed he is lightning:laugh:

Seriously though most of his tries have come away from home so i have only seen good things of his short kicking game and close range tries at home

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Hunt might be the answer. After two injury forced starts though Hook has refused to do just what you asked - plump someone next to Wallace. Instead he's opted to stick Prince beside him. Had Wal not been around that could be Hunt next to Prince, but its not.

Hooks basic refusal to drop anyone ever makes Wallace a big long term problem IMO.
Surely you realise that makes no sense. If anything, Hook's refusal to drop Prince for Hunt would be the problem...
The real problem is that Norman, after beating Hunt to the position, sucked large hairy balls at 5/8, then Prince beat both of them to the position.

I do believe Hunt can provide some, if not a lot, of what we need with time, but he hasn't been able to show it, and regardless of what anyone says, he did get the opportunity to do it several times, during trials and every day at training, so what the **** is he waiting for? And if we really want him to be our go to guy, then send him to Qcup for the rest of the season to reacquire the mechanisms and routine of a halve!

The fact that Hook publicly states we are in the market for the right player, shows that they know we need to do something about our halves.

I do however agree with Coxy about us being too conservative, and maybe we should just give a couple of promising youngsters like Cornish and/or Milford a go, even give up on the rest of the season and give them the time to gel and get used to the NRL. I have absolutely no issue with that, as long as there is a clear direction from the club and understanding that we are planning for the future, but I'm not sure it's the right thing for the club, as seeing the Broncs at the bottom of the ladder might cost us a lot of sponsorship and memberships...

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

I'm just trying to put some perspective in this Wallace bashing, because I do believe that with the right partner, he can be very useful and at the very least give us some time to find a second gem to replace him.

The only way I can agree to his continued presence in the team would be if Griffin shifted him into dummy half or played him from the bench.

I like the dummy half Wallace......he's a lot sharper than McC and has the same set of skills.

I'd also like to think that's not so much a reflection on how crap McC is but more a recognition of Wallace's genuine dummy half / Hooker skills.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

Surely you realise that makes no sense. If anything, Hook's refusal to drop Prince for Hunt would be the problem...
The real problem is that Norman, after beating Hunt to the position, sucked large hairy balls at 5/8, then Prince beat both of them to the position.

I do believe Hunt can provide some, if not a lot, of what we need with time, but he hasn't been able to show it, and regardless of what anyone says, he did get the opportunity to do it several times, during trials and every day at training, so what the **** is he waiting for? And if we really want him to be our go to guy, then send him to Qcup for the rest of the season to reacquire the mechanisms and routine of a halve!

The fact that Hook publicly states we are in the market for the right player, shows that they know we need to do something about our halves.

I do however agree with Coxy about us being too conservative, and maybe we should just give a couple of promising youngsters like Cornish and/or Milford a go, even give up on the rest of the season and give them the time to gel and get used to the NRL. I have absolutely no issue with that, as long as there is a clear direction from the club and understanding that we are planning for the future, but I'm not sure it's the right thing for the club, as seeing the Broncs at the bottom of the ladder might cost us a lot of sponsorship and memberships...

First off, I don't necessarily buy that Hook would reward good showings in training. This is hook, he makes a conservative coach look like a rebel in comparison. Prince and Wallace are safe options, Griffin loves safe. More over, Hunt is our bench hooker. Presumably he trains each week to do that job, so frankly I don't know how he's supposed to wow the pants off Hook as a half prospect.

As for Hunt, no he hasn't demanded he be selected in first grade and he hasn't dominated in a way that forces the coach's hand. But frankly, neither has Prince this year. Hunt is young and could grow to become an important player for us in the future, Prince is none of these things. As such, I think the emphasis should be on Prince to demand selection and play at a level that warrants us holding back the development of a younger half. He's not yet he still gets picked ahead of Hunt because he's a safer option and as I said, Griffin loves safe.

The problem I have with your argument about making players outplay the incumbents is that it means a guy who might have what it takes but needs the 8-10 games to get the confidence to do that isn't going to get that because we have a better performing, safer but limited alternative in Prince or Wallace around who will be selected instead.

Look at some of the halves that have popped up since 2011 - Adam Reynolds, Josh Reynolds, Daly Cherry-Evans, Shaun Johnson, Albert Kelly. Not all of them in their first 3-4 games showed the kind of form that would necessarily displace Wallace if he were a member of their respective teams, but because their clubs didn't have Wallace they got a prolonged opportunity in first grade to see if they could grow into the players their clubs want them to be. I get why you want Hunt to have to outplay a Wallace/Prince like incumbent, but I think that kind of insistence of strict meritocracy is robbing us of the chance to find our own DCE or Reynolds etc.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Bingo. Wallace's very presence means the Broncos will never give a young half an extended go.

Again, I'm not saying drop him now. But release him for next season. We simply won't go anywhere with him at the club

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I had the worst thought...Wallace is manipulating the Broncs DCE style to get them to pay him more money.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

If we are currently targeting a Panthers player, is this a player trade for Wallace

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

If we are currently targeting a Panthers player, is this a player trade for Wallace

What? We are? Where did you hear that?

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Twitter
Strawbs & Teach @panthersweekly
will be discussed in their next episode

Tim Grant would be good but I fear maybe Coote, Johns or Kingston

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Maybe Coote at fullback ????

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

I'd happily take the speed of Roberts.

Off topic sorta, but I see they do a Panthers podcast. That's kinda cool! Maybe BHQ should do that - Bennett v Bellamy episode Mark 287614 -- I can see it already.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

First off, I don't necessarily buy that Hook would reward good showings in training. This is hook, he makes a conservative coach look like a rebel in comparison. Prince and Wallace are safe options, Griffin loves safe. More over, Hunt is our bench hooker. Presumably he trains each week to do that job, so frankly I don't know how he's supposed to wow the pants off Hook as a half prospect.

As for Hunt, no he hasn't demanded he be selected in first grade and he hasn't dominated in a way that forces the coach's hand. But frankly, neither has Prince this year. Hunt is young and could grow to become an important player for us in the future, Prince is none of these things. As such, I think the emphasis should be on Prince to demand selection and play at a level that warrants us holding back the development of a younger half. He's not yet he still gets picked ahead of Hunt because he's a safer option and as I said, Griffin loves safe.

The problem I have with your argument about making players outplay the incumbents is that it means a guy who might have what it takes but needs the 8-10 games to get the confidence to do that isn't going to get that because we have a better performing, safer but limited alternative in Prince or Wallace around who will be selected instead.

Look at some of the halves that have popped up since 2011 - Adam Reynolds, Josh Reynolds, Daly Cherry-Evans, Shaun Johnson, Albert Kelly. Not all of them in their first 3-4 games showed the kind of form that would necessarily displace Wallace if he were a member of their respective teams, but because their clubs didn't have Wallace they got a prolonged opportunity in first grade to see if they could grow into the players their clubs want them to be. I get why you want Hunt to have to outplay a Wallace/Prince like incumbent, but I think that kind of insistence of strict meritocracy is robbing us of the chance to find our own DCE or Reynolds etc.
I agree with much of what you're saying, but I don't think Wallace is to blame about any of it. That's my point!
If you want a half to get a chance, Prince has to be the one to go, not Wallace.

Besides, if Hook is so conservative, what on earth makes you think that dumping Wallace will not make Griffin do something opposed to what you expect, and make a decision instead which will make all of us tear our hair off our heads?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008

I'd happily take the speed of Roberts.

Off topic sorta, but I see they do a Panthers podcast. That's kinda cool! Maybe BHQ should do that - Bennett v Bellamy episode Mark 287614 -- I can see it already.

I suggested a podcast a couple of years ago, but no one was interested!

I wouldn't mind Mansour if we picking players from the Panthers. Tim Grant is an obvious one.

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
In regards to DCE, Reynolds, etc, those players were forced to bide their time in NSW / QLD cup until their opportunity arose. In their preferred position. I wonder how Hunt would be performing right now if he'd done a two year apprenticeship in the QLD cup at #7. And better yet, even if he wasn't performing, at least we'd know.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I suggested a podcast a couple of years ago, but no one was interested!

I wouldn't mind Mansour if we picking players from the Panthers. Tim Grant is an obvious one.

I'd be down for a podcast, my voice is made for radio lol

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

If there is any substance to this panthers player I would love it to be coote, grant or mansour.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • bert_lifts
  • kman
  • BroncosMan
  • Manofoneway
  • thenry
  • Big Del
  • broncotville
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • Totally Unr3al
  • winslow_wong
  • Lostboy
  • broncos4life
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.