Pick Kevvie's round one team with odds

For round 1 I'd say the backline is pretty well set. However trial form may see some movement.

1. Tesi (locked in from last year)
2. Oates (would say locked in due to meterage and form last year)
3. Herbie (won Broncos back of the year... locked in)
4. Staggs (locked in)
5. Cobbo (has to be in the team somewhere)
Careful. You'll be yelled at for having this opinion

I'd be surprised if Reynolds or Capewell play on the first trial. It's usually just for fringe players, or train and trial guys
Capewell maybe not but there is 0 fucken point playing a game with two random halves e.g. Mam and Walters. Only way it would happen differently is if they don’t play any of the contending halves and play roberts and Martin but what do we get out of that. I’m fairly confident Reynolds will play as for Capewell who knows who cares. I had as many of the new guys as possible playing and getting some form of combinations.

It’s not the opinion it’s the reasoning. You bought it and even thought that playing centre was to difficult for a bloke who proved he is well and truely capable of playing the position.
Again. . And please remember this time?

I'm telling you, (based on what I've seen at training and heard in various interviews direct from the mouth of the coach and football manager - when I say direct from them I mean in context), that Cobbo will be "eased in" to the NRL and will play wing likely outside of staggs.

This isn't my opinion on where I think he will be as a player later in the year or even in his future... This is on topic to the thread title (see above if you've forgotten) that for round 1 and as long as those who have decided he'll be "eased in" believe his easing is over... He'll play wing.

I hope that clears it up for you and you can have a better day 👌

For round 1 I'd say the backline is pretty well set. However trial form may see some movement.

1. Tesi (locked in from last year)
2. Oates (would say locked in due to meterage and form last year)
3. Herbie (won Broncos back of the year... locked in)
4. Staggs (locked in)
5. Cobbo (has to be in the team somewhere)

My only concern is the following:
  • Cobbo would be far more useful at FB rather than wing.
  • Tesi, just isnt and i dont think ever will be premiership quality FB, too many errors and too many brain explosions. Totally unreliable - he will cost us games if not put pressure on when not needed.
  • Mead is much more reliable and can do a good job on the wing. Not better than Cobbo however frees Cobbo for other positions.
  • The jury is still out on Herbie V Cobbo for centre. My football brain wants me to see Cobbo at FB early career and centre in later years. Herbie although not a superstar has explosive speed and reliability. Given good ball and strategy he could be very damaging midfield - 40-60m from goal line 20m in from touch would be a metre eater.
  • Jordan Periera is a season smokey IMO. He was stuck at a deadshit club but has the makings of a super solid winger. Has the balance of size and speed for modern game to be robust for a long enough time.

I'd be surprised if Reynolds or Capewell play on the first trial. It's usually just for fringe players, or train and trial guys
Reynolds said in the Psaltis interview that they only have one trial. If that’s the case, you’d think all the guns would play.

Nobody is doubting how effective Cobbo could be when the time is right, the issue at hand though is whether or not the time is right, I am prepared to back the coaches on making that call.

Tesi hasn't done anything wrong and has earned the right to retain his position at fullback.

I'm with Fitzy and Mchunt.
Tesi is only a year older than Selwyn and half his size, He basically tore the best team in Qcup to shreds in the grand final, if he's playing centre he has a grand final winner and state of origin player on his inside or a premiership winning, 200+ game veteran, captain of the club on the other side.
He made Bradman best look like a teenager not up to scratch for first grade and this was without a NRL preseason under his belt.
He's wasted on the wing unless you want him bashing it up into a set line of defence on the second or third play.
The only way a player can be wasted on the wing is if the team's spine and centres are too shit to get them the ball IMO. A good winger needs to be skillful and a great one can score tries with almost no room to move. If Cobbo ends up being wasted on the wing, we need to start looking at the rest of the side.

The only way a player can be wasted on the wing is if the team's spine and centres are too shit to get them the ball IMO. A good winger needs to be skillful and a great one can score tries with almost no room to move. If Cobbo ends up being wasted on the wing, we need to start looking at the rest of the side.
I think that's the undercurrent of this entire argument: Herbie is not shit - he's a highly damaging runner - but he's shit at getting the ball to the wing. Many of us think he'd be better to suited to being at the end of that ball movement rather than killing the momentum before it gets to the wing.

Mind you, I would've said the same thing about Kotoni, who's also been a terrible hog. But he wasn't that way at all when he came back for his brief cameo in 2021, and it really made me notice how much better he was at centre than Herbie. On top of that, he is freakish at finding the line. If Herbie scored a lot of tries, we wouldn't give a **** whether he passed it.

Reynolds said in the Psaltis interview that they only have one trial. If that’s the case, you’d think all the guns would play.

Walters said the trial against the Cowboys would be our dress rehearsal for round 1

edit: we have 3 trials:

Week 1, Saturday, February 12, 5pm: vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls at BMD Kougari Oval, Wynnum

Week 2, Saturday, February 19, 8pm: vs Gold Coast Titans at CBus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Week 3, Saturday, February 26, 9pm: vs North Queensland Cowboys vs Brisbane Broncos at BB Print Stadium, Mackay

Capewell maybe not but there is 0 fucken point playing a game with two random halves e.g. Mam and Walters. Only way it would happen differently is if they don’t play any of the contending halves and play roberts and Martin but what do we get out of that. I’m fairly confident Reynolds will play as for Capewell who knows who cares. I had as many of the new guys as possible playing and getting some form of combinations.

A) rarely if ever do the guns play in the very first trial with effectively a QCup team against QCup opposition. even the likes of Locky when we were searching for a halves partner, didn't play in the first trial.

B) there is absolutely a point ... we have 4 halves fighting to be Reynolds halves partner (Kelly, Gamble, Walters and Mam) they'll all be given some game time in the trials to try and win that spot ... they'll probably all play in the first trial with a view to narrowing that list down ... and i can absolutely bloody guarantee that Reynolds won't play in all 3 trials.

C) hell, often the head coach isn't even coaching that first trial, it is left up to one of his assistants.

in my opinion i believe this will be the team
1. tesi
2. quai-ward
3.hoeter
4. brenko
5. Pereira
6. mam
7. gamble
8. jensen
9. paix
10. james
11. pulu
12. pikaura
13. Hetherington

I think that's the undercurrent of this entire argument: Herbie is not shit - he's a highly damaging runner - but he's shit at getting the ball to the wing. Many of us think he'd be better to suited to being at the end of that ball movement rather than killing the momentum before it gets to the wing.

Mind you, I would've said the same thing about Kotoni, who's also been a terrible hog. But he wasn't that way at all when he came back for his brief cameo in 2021, and it really made me notice how much better he was at centre than Herbie. On top of that, he is freakish at finding the line. If Herbie scored a lot of tries, we wouldn't give a **** whether he passed it.
Thats the thing though Herbie doesn't score tries or set them up. I think the only thing keeping Herbie in that center jersy is Walters having hopes he comes good.

Thats the thing though Herbie doesn't score tries or set them up. I think the only thing keeping Herbie in that center jersy is Walters having hopes he comes good.
I keep being reminded by his fans that he makes a lot of metres. Like a prop.

3 tries and 7 assists in 21. Unders no doubt for what you want out of a centre, but we also only won 7 games

Walters said the trial against the Cowboys would be our dress rehearsal for round 1

edit: we have 3 trials:

Week 1, Saturday, February 12, 5pm: vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls at BMD Kougari Oval, Wynnum

Week 2, Saturday, February 19, 8pm: vs Gold Coast Titans at CBus Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Week 3, Saturday, February 26, 9pm: vs North Queensland Cowboys vs Brisbane Broncos at BB Print Stadium, Mackay

Fucking yes, there's some footy in 9 days. The dreaded off season is almost over.

I half remember reading Foxtel would be covering all trials for 2022 or something, any idea if it's going to be covered anywhere?

Alfie has backed Billy Walters for the number 6 jersey.

Alfie says:

“I like the look of Billy,” said Langer, a long-serving assistant coach at the Broncos.

“He has done a fair apprenticeship.

“He has been to different clubs, especially the Melbourne Storm who have a great system.

“Billy has also played for the Queensland Residents rep side and been around the Queensland Cup for a few years, so he has runs on the board.

“The No.6 jumper is wide open. Tyson (Gamble) and Albert Kelly are also talented guys but Billy is back at home where he belongs at the Broncos with his old man and he is a genuine consideration for the six spot.”

LET THE WHINGING BEGIN

'Shrug' just want the best player in the 6

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • FACTHUNT
  • Lazza
  • Footy Fanatic
  • mrslong
  • Skyblues87
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.