10. Optimus Prime
11. Ironhide
12. Ratchet
13. Bumblebee

turkeysnow

BRL Player
Jan 5, 2021
Threads
He might light it up! He could be the perfect little trickster Sam Walker type that combines well with Adam's style.

However.

I love Gamble as a player. If he doesn't get the 6 first up, and we don't have a spot in that starting lineup, I'd love to see him sign on at the Dolphins (his home) and we get to see more of him in the NRL.

He's a top quality player in waiting, he just needs more time at the top
I think Gamble could be the perfect 14 for us if Billy gets the nod at 6. He is that bigger body and has so much energy. I feel he would fit well into that lock role from the bench when Hethero has a spell. We have Haas/Carrigan and Fleg (If he finds debut season form from bench) who can play decent min, throw in one of TC/Palasia/Kennedy/James and that rounds out our middles. Hethero could fill back in in the middle if injury or edge, capwell can cover centre, Billy can cover 9, Gamble 6. It could mean we carry a paix as well, who can spell Turpin or even push turpin into lock to just defend, but still give us that spark out of hok.

So what I am suggesting is:
6. Billy (can cover 9 if needed but 6)
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan (Fleg brings more impact from bench)
13. Hetherington

14. Gamble (6/13)
15. Fleg
16. James/TC/Palasia/Kennedy/Riki (only if pikaku ends up taking the edge spot)
17. Paix

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Threads
I think Gamble could be the perfect 14 for us if Billy gets the nod at 6. He is that bigger body and has so much energy. I feel he would fit well into that lock role from the bench when Hethero has a spell. We have Haas/Carrigan and Fleg (If he finds debut season form from bench) who can play decent min, throw in one of TC/Palasia/Kennedy/James and that rounds out our middles. Hethero could fill back in in the middle if injury or edge, capwell can cover centre, Billy can cover 9, Gamble 6. It could mean we carry a paix as well, who can spell Turpin or even push turpin into lock to just defend, but still give us that spark out of hok.

9. Turpin
13. Hetherington

14. Gamble (6/13)
15. Fleg
17. Paix
I'm into this...

However it leaves us pretty light in genuine forwards if we get any injuries / hia

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads

9. Turpin
13. Hetherington

14. Gamble (6/13)
15. Fleg
17. Paix
Gamble or Paix, not both. In which case, Gamble in a heartbeat. Flegler is suspended week one.

Big Del

QCup Player
Apr 22, 2017
Threads

9. Turpin
13. Hetherington

14. Gamble (6/13)
15. Fleg
17. Paix
Can Gamble tackle and stop front rowers on our line ?
That will be the tell . He has the ball skills and timing to play lock but can he tackle like a lock ?

turkeysnow

BRL Player
Jan 5, 2021
Threads
That would be the thing developing that defence in the middle, maybe a little more size. But his energy is needed. Then I would say Paix or Turpin.

I know Fleg is out rd 1, but I feel his energy and impact best from the bench. Carrigan more of a plodder, good meters but no real aggression or impact.

So bench of:

14. Gamble (6/lock)
15. Fleg
16. TC/Jensen/Palasia/James
17. Kennedy/TC/Palasia/James/Jensen

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Threads
I would still love to see Gamble as a hybrid 13 / bench forward and hope it's being seriously explored.

He would thrive with his big frame as a ball-playing middle - either as a starter or as an impact sub and would add another dimension to our attack / another kicking option (which is never a bad thing).

He's also so versatile - like a Michael Morgan style 14 - could cover lock, second row (at a pinch), halves, centres (if desperate) and probably even hooker (again, if desperate).

A link 13 who can facilitate attack in the centre of the field and link halves on both sides is so essential in today's game and we have a player in the perfect mould.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Captain
Jul 28, 2016
Threads
I would still love to see Gamble as a hybrid 13 / bench forward and hope it's being seriously explored.

He would thrive with his big frame as a ball-playing middle - either as a starter or as an impact sub and would add another dimension to our attack / another kicking option (which is never a bad thing).

He's also so versatile - like a Michael Morgan style 14 - could cover lock, second row (at a pinch), halves, centres (if desperate) and probably even hooker (again, if desperate).

A link 13 who can facilitate attack in the centre of the field and link halves on both sides is so essential in today's game and we have a player in the perfect mould.
I dont disagree with any of that, but I would just flag that we no longer need a link man in the 13 jersey.

Reynolds is a first receiver halfback and we shouldn't be adding extra passes in there that would crowd him.

Get him the ball straight off the ruck (like he's been doing for souths) and let him create the space for the outside men... which is what his greatest strength is (outside of kicking)

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
I dont disagree with any of that, but I would just flag that we no longer need a link man in the 13 jersey.

Reynolds is a first receiver halfback and we shouldn't be adding extra passes in there that would crowd him.

Get him the ball straight off the ruck (like he's been doing for souths) and let him create the space for the outside men... which is what his greatest strength is (outside of kicking)
Murray plays that role at south’s, and also Benji when he’d come off the bench.

I can see Gamble doing alright in a similar role to what Benji did last year. The issue is we don’t have the luxury of an 80 minute hooker like south’s and therefor don’t have a bench spot to burn.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads

For what it’s worth, Gamble said in an interview in October that Kev was planning on making him also train at “fullback and lock” over this pre-season. So going off that comment it has definitely been considered - however if the fullback thing is true it also shows that Kev is space cadet.

Gamble made some other comment about how he doesn’t know how he’d go making 30 tackles a game because he’s only used to making about 8.

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Threads

Melb have Munster and Hughes in the halves and still arguably look their best with Smith in the 13 playing this role.

Same story with Roosters, who have Keary in the halves and Radley in the 13.

It's not as essential as it was last year, but in the era of V'Landys ball it is still a huge asset to any side.

There may be better options - we've never seen Gamble play the role, but I personally think he'd do it nicely and hope it's at least being considered properly.

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Threads
For what it’s worth, Gamble said in an interview in October that Kev was planning on making him also train at “fullback and lock” over this pre-season. So going off that comment it has definitely been considered - however if the fullback thing is true it also shows that Kev is space cadet.

Gamble made some other comment about how he doesn’t know how he’d go making 30 tackles a game because he’s only used to making about 8.

The excitement at the thought of Gamble training @ 13 was instantly killed by the thought of him running around at fullback.... Jeez.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Melb have Munster and Hughes in the halves and still arguably look their best with Smith in the 13 playing this role.

Same story with Roosters, who have Keary in the halves and Radley in the 13.

It's not as essential as it was last year, but in the era of V'Landys ball it is still a huge asset to any side.

There may be better options - we've never seen Gamble play the role, but I personally think he'd do it nicely and hope it's at least being considered properly.
Yeah it’s common these days

Melbourne: Smith
Penrith: Yeo
Roosters: Radley
South’s: Murray
Manly: JTrbo
Canberra: Hodgson
Knights: Watson *

Eels are the only top 6 team that doesn’t really utilise the ball playing lock. Plenty of the bottom 8 don’t have one either.

Tigers, Bulldogs, Sharks, Titans, Cowboys etc, us when we got the spoon.

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Yeah it’s common these days

Melbourne: Smith
Penrith: Yeo
Roosters: Radley
South’s: Murray
Manly: JTrbo
Canberra: Hodgson
Knights: Watson *

Eels are the only top 6 team that doesn’t really utilise the ball playing lock. Plenty of the bottom 8 don’t have one either.

Tigers, Bulldogs, Sharks, Titans, Cowboys etc, us when we got the spoon.

I think Hethrington could provide that for us ... he time spent at hooker should help his ball playing

Johnny92

QCup Player
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
I think Hethrington could provide that for us ... he time spent at hooker should help his ball playing
I have read somewhere/heard that he played abit in the halves in his junior days and I think he made his cup debut playing 6.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
I think that seems to be the long term plan. He needs to do a bit of work on it though.

Im pretty sure he threw a blinder of a pass for Glenn’s try against the cows when Niu did that weird kick the ball backwards off the ground thing.

Caniffe

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Threads
Can Gamble tackle and stop front rowers on our line ?
That will be the tell . He has the ball skills and timing to play lock but can he tackle like a lock ?

Locky couldn’t. Not a good point to be making.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Threads

I think these guys need to keep it simple and just start getting some structure and resilience first. This is too complicated for the team that ran what, 13th?

Let's get them to be consistent first graders first who can build pressure and take pressure

Latest posts

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaBraze

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.