Pick Kevvie's round one team with odds

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Ikin spoke very openly about the team on a recent podcast. Below is every player he specifically mentioned their position for next year (he even included which side of the field)

1. Niu (“likely fullback”)
3. Farnworth (“left centre”)
4. Staggs (“right edge”)
5. Cobbo (“right wing”)
6. “Kelly, Gamble, Walters”
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
11. (Capewell*)
12. Riki (“right edge” + big wraps)
13. Carrigan (“starting lock”)

Said Carrigan is aware he plays too straight and has been working on bringing more to his game as a lock.

*You can also safely deduce that Capewell will be left edge based on comments.

Based on these comments and assuming no further injuries (Flegler suspended) I think below is a safe bet with 6 being hardest to predict.

1. Niu (100%)
2. Oates (99%)
3. Farnworth (100%)
4. Staggs (100%)
5. Cobbo (100%)
6. Kelly (50%)
7. Reynolds (c) (100%)
8. Haas (100%)
9. Turpin (100%)
10. James (75%)
11. Capewell (100%)
12. Riki (100%)
13. Carrigan (100%)

14. Paix (75%)
15. Hetherington (75%)
16. Robati (80%)
17. Palasia (60%)

turkeysnow

BRL Player
Jan 5, 2021
Threads
I feel we have versatillity in our side, Gamble wouldn't need to cover FLB, Capwell pushes a centre to wing and a winger to flb simple.

Hethero covers hok/Walters can cover hok as well in a pinch.

Gamble could cover lock/6/Edge (front row/flb we are getting a bit carried away)

Carrigan isn't a lock, he is a meat and potato prop, good to start as he just gets in and does his job, but wouldn't be good off the bench as doesn't bring that much agression or impact.

Imagine if Fleg this year brings that agression and intensity that he did in his rookie season, add in Gamble off the bench, talking in everyones ears and with a little niggle. Thats what we need. All the top sides, (Storm/Panthers/Roosters) have that a little bending the rules, guys like JWH/Radley who hit hard, or sometimes dirty, but scares the offence. Storm had Smith and now even munster/smith who have some niggle in tackles competing, Panthers, there was that whole holding down too long debate with Bennett and Cleary.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Threads
Ikin spoke very openly about the team on a recent podcast. Below is every player he specifically mentioned their position for next year (he even included which side of the field)

1. Niu (“likely fullback”)
3. Farnworth (“left centre”)
4. Staggs (“right edge”)
5. Cobbo (“right wing”)
6. “Kelly, Gamble, Walters”
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
11. (Capewell*)
12. Riki (“right edge” + big wraps)
13. Carrigan (“starting lock”)

Said Carrigan is aware he plays too straight and has been working on bringing more to his game as a lock.

*You can also safely deduce that Capewell will be left edge based on comments.

Based on these comments and assuming no further injuries (Flegler suspended) I think below is a safe bet with 6 being hardest to predict.

1. Niu (100%)
2. Oates (99%)
3. Farnworth (100%)
4. Staggs (100%)
5. Cobbo (100%)
6. Kelly (50%)
7. Reynolds (c) (100%)
8. Haas (100%)
9. Turpin (100%)
10. James (75%)
11. Capewell (100%)
12. Riki (100%)
13. Carrigan (100%)

14. Paix (75%)
15. Hetherington (75%)
16. Robati (80%)
17. Palasia (60%)
Far out in excited for this season.

They have to be kidding themselves though if Tyson doesn't get a spot, however I can understand why he maybe will need to miss out since Reynolds will need a running half you'd think outside him.

To me, gamble has now upside to Kelly but if Kelly can find a combination that could work really well.

Gamble deserves to be a starting half based on his kicking game, power, aggression and deception.

He'll get snapped up by the dolphins for sure. And maybe he should

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Far out in excited for this season.

They have to be kidding themselves though if Tyson doesn't get a spot, however I can understand why he maybe will need to miss out since Reynolds will need a running half you'd think outside him.

To me, gamble has now upside to Kelly but if Kelly can find a combination that could work really well.

Gamble deserves to be a starting half based on his kicking game, power, aggression and deception.

He'll get snapped up by the dolphins for sure. And maybe he should
On that podcast Ikin basically said Kelly, Gamble, and Walters were all equal shots at this stage, and that Reynolds will likely get a pretty significant say in who gets the nod.

He went on to say Mam was a massive talent and will likely play some first grade this season.

Said Martin and Roberts were also depth options.

No real surprises with any of that.

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads
I'd hope that after last season, Gamble gets first shot at the 6, he earned it because in many ways, he was the kick up the bum the team needed to become competitive again, that earns a lot of respect and loyalty in my view.

Johnny92

QCup Player
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
Gamble had a run at centre today - scored a try in that position too.

Could he possibly nab a bench utility/back spot...
I would like tyson to get a spot somewhere if he doesn't get the 6 and lands that 14 that would take a second 9 (paix) out of the equation as you couldn't carry both.
Tyson at 14 - cover for halves, limited backline positions and 2nd row or bring him on at lock and let him roam the field playing as a second fullback/five-eighth, Turpin plays 80 or close too with Hetherington filling that 9 if needed. Turpin won't need to ask too many questions as Tyson adds another ball player out on the field when he comes on and the need for a ball playing 1 isn't needed as much.
Paix at 9 - gives you a attacking option out of hooker on the bench, can cover halves if needed.
I think Paix would be best perfecting his craft at 9 in Qcup getting good minutes than sitting on the bench most the game in top grade.

Fitzy

NRL Player
Sep 10, 2018
Threads
Gamble had a run at centre today - scored a try in that position too.

Could he possibly nab a bench utility/back spot...
You’d have to think if he is spreading around positions to play utility otherwise he would be sticking to 6. I think his best value would be training 9 and 13 for utility though but of course he will need to play centre but I think that would probably come a bit more naturally. But at the same time I think Gamble should be playing 6 and Paix 14.

Fitzy

NRL Player
Sep 10, 2018
Threads
I would like tyson to get a spot somewhere if he doesn't get the 6 and lands that 14 that would take a second 9 (paix) out of the equation as you couldn't carry both.
Tyson at 14 - cover for halves, limited backline positions and 2nd row or bring him on at lock and let him roam the field playing as a second fullback/five-eighth, Turpin plays 80 or close too with Hetherington filling that 9 if needed. Turpin won't need to ask too many questions as Tyson adds another ball player out on the field when he comes on and the need for a ball playing 1 isn't needed as much.
Paix at 9 - gives you a attacking option out of hooker on the bench, can cover halves if needed.
I think Paix would be best perfecting his craft at 9 in Qcup getting good minutes than sitting on the bench most the game in top grade.
Does Turpin playing 80 lose any chance of him playing a greater dimensional game. I feel like a back up hooker (I would rather paix than Hetho) is a must and well at the same I feel Gamble should be playing 6.

I’d be going:
6. Gamble
9. Turpin
13. Hetho
14. Paix

It seems that they are going in the opposite direction for all except Turpin. What I have understood from what people have said about the podcast (Ben Ikin) and in the last week or so it will likely be:

6. Walters
9. Turpin
13. Carrigan
14. Gamble
15. Hetherington

Paix playing for Souths in Q-cup. I like Carrigan but he is a front rower not a Lock anymore if he ever really was suited in the first place. Hetho has good defence, ball playing ability and had the ability to find the line.

Johnny92

QCup Player
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
Does Turpin playing 80 lose any chance of him playing a greater dimensional game. I feel like a back up hooker (I would rather paix than Hetho) is a must and well at the same I feel Gamble should be playing 6.

I’d be going:
6. Gamble
9. Turpin
13. Hetho
14. Paix

It seems that they are going in the opposite direction for all except Turpin. What I have understood from what people have said about the podcast (Ben Ikin) and in the last week or so it will likely be:

6. Walters
9. Turpin
13. Carrigan
14. Gamble
15. Hetherington

Paix playing for Souths in Q-cup. I like Carrigan but he is a front rower not a Lock anymore if he ever really was suited in the first place. Hetho has good defence, ball playing ability and had the ability to find the line.
Your first line up is what I would like to see, I think Gamble played the best out of the options last season but the big question is if he's the best to partner Reynolds? I'd say Adam is going to have a big say on who wears the 6.
If Gamble is picked at 6 I think Paix or Walters will wear the 14.
If someone else gets the 6 I find it hard leaving Tyson out of the team all together.

BroncosFever

NRL Player
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
I wonder if Cobbo will play a role in the centres when attacking the line, for me he's the kind of bloke you get it to nice and early and see what he can come up with.

Maybe they're just wanting to get him in the NRL consistently first because they ask him to be that guy.

turkeysnow

BRL Player
Jan 5, 2021
Threads
I think Paix or Gamble need to be in the 17. Gamble has a bit of size to him, I feel could rotate with Hethero. But Hethero would have to be lock then. Paix with Turpin, as Turpin is a tacklebot by the 80thmin.

Gamble allows us cover all over, Cobbo can go to flb, Walters to 9, Gamble could cover 6/13/edge, Capwell centre etc

I feel Haas/Fleg/Carrigan need to be 3 forwards, who can all play decent min. That leaves one spot on the bench for another between james/TC/Palasia/Kennedy/Jensen to fight it out each week and keep Fleg on his toes.

Fitzy

NRL Player
Sep 10, 2018
Threads
I wonder if Cobbo will play a role in the centres when attacking the line, for me he's the kind of bloke you get it to nice and early and see what he can come up with.

Maybe they're just wanting to get him in the NRL consistently first because they ask him to be that guy.
I think naturally he is probably a better centre than winger even though he is built like a winger. It was early on but he didn’t do much except make errors on the wing for me. At the same time wing will help more for transitioning to fullback especially after we saw how destructive he was under and post the high ball in q-cup. He will 100% be outside Reynolds and Staggs on that wing and it could give him a real dose of confidence and allow him to be a bit more destructive. If we were without Kotoni for some reason though my position would instantly change on the matter and I think you’d be chucking him at centre and trying to get any destructiveness we can out of that edge. But at the moment Staggs is fit and raring to go so wing it is I reckon. Also with that whilst I would be prioritising where we want Selwyn to play I would have Herbie in the centres as I think realistically that’s his best position and Selwyn still gains key development from the wing.

Latest posts

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaBraze

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.