Pick Kevvie's round one team with odds

Last time I watched NRL the 2nd rowers don`t touch the ball in our own half . Getting out of our half usually goes something like ;
Winger - fullback - winger - centre - Prop or Lock -- Kick .

In the opposition half 2nd rowers see the ball .
Good observation. I think you'll see a change in 2022.

James and Palasia both deserve to be ahead of Piakura. Piakura needs more time in Q Cup.

James was great as a starter for the dogs. Very reliable through the middle and good output and defence. I think he’d be great off the bench when Haas is off the field
Plus he's the sort of player this side needs. It isn't just about punch and strike. A footy side needs balance

I reckon he ideally needs a role off the bench but the club doesn't have the depth to provide him with that, he's one of the best mobile backrowers we've got. I remember the Souths game where Gagai cut us to pieces, Riki fell asleep at the wheel.

Don't think he's conditioned for a solid 80 yet in the NRL.
Sure, but it's easy to clock off in a constantly losing side. This team have experienced vets in the side now and won't stand for it.

We'll have a real captain with skills and leadership. Like, we have literally signed 4 new players who would have been miles in front of Glenn in the way of on field leadership.

This team won't have such a soft underbelly anymore

Capewell is a footballer you don’t need to shackle him at all or drill down to fine detail.

He had one session at centre and hurt his groin and still played and played well when he made his Origin debut.

17 years old and thrown on the wing against men in his ISC debut- two tries.

Just tell him on Thursday what you want.

His touches are like dog years, he needs one you need 15.

Capewell is a footballer you don’t need to shackle him at all or drill down to fine detail.

He had one session at centre and hurt his groin and still played and played well when he made his Origin debut.

What are your thoughts on Capewell transitioning to a Yeo type lock? He definitely seems to have the skill and smarts for it.

Ive seen others suggest Gamble move to lock, and in fact Gamble himself said at the end of the season that Kev said he’d be doing training for lock this off season. Do you think Gamble would make an okay lock? Maybe in a Benji off the bench type capacity.

That was hot

In the absence of any news, I'd like see what everyone thinks will be the first team of the season. This one's not about who you would pick, but who you think Kevvie will pick. We don't have a lot to work with from training spies so mine is mostly based on a continuation of last season with a couple of new faces.

List your team, and rate your confidence level on each position with a percentage. For the bench, just rank them in order. Don't worry if you're heavy in one position. For example, there's going to be at least one prop on the bench, probably two, but maybe not three. But because you know there'll be two props, the likelihood of one of the props being on the bench is still higher than a centre. The chance of Walters OR Paix being on the bench is higher than Mead, but the chance of Mead being on the bench is higher than Walters AND Paix together. If you get what I mean.

Here's mine:

1. Niu(80%), Cobbo (20%)
2. Oates (100%)
3. Staggs (100%)
4. Farnworth (70%), Cobbo (30%) - Farnworth on seniority only. I would pick Cobbo.
5. Cobbo (70%), Farnworth (30%) - as above.
6. Kelly (50%), Gamble (45%), Walters (5%)
7. Reynolds (100%)
8. Carrigan (100%)
9. Turpin (100%)
10. Haas (100%)
11. Capewell (100%)
12. Riki (90%), Robati (10%)
13. Hetherington (100%)

Bench (in order of likelihood)
My guess is two props, one second row, and one utility back.

James
Kennedy
(Flegler is suspended)

Robati

Walters
Gamble
Paix
Kelly

Palasia
Piakura

Lee
Mead
Isaako

For me, the big question is Gamble or Kelly at 6, but also whether the other would work on the bench if they miss out. I can picture Gamble as a utility, but not really Kelly. If Kelly is at 6, then maybe Walters will pip Gamble on the bench. But how do you leave out Tyson?

The next question is who goes to the wing: Cobbo or Farnworth. Received wisdom is Cobbo will be fullback by the end of the season. If so, why not just put him there now? Or send him back to play fullback in the ISC until he's ready. But, then again, why would you drop him when you have a wing spot to fill? It will be a tough question for Kevvie. I'm hoping he will send Farnworth to the wing and keep Cobbo at centre. But I'm betting against it.

Kelly has a dodgey back
Riki had shoulder surgery .
Palasia had shoulder surgery .

More info re Billy Walters.

Agreed with all of that. Pretty much everything I've been saying. Interesting they don't seem to rate Herbie either. Particularly compared to Cobbo and Staggs. They were gushing over them, but not a peep about Herbie, or Tesi, who they clearly see as just warming the seat for Selwyn.

For all the reasons they gave, I also find it hard to see Kevvie handing the 6 to Billy. Not in week one.

What are your thoughts on Capewell transitioning to a Yeo type lock? He definitely seems to have the skill and smarts for it.

Ive seen others suggest Gamble move to lock, and in fact Gamble himself said at the end of the season that Kev said he’d be doing training for lock this off season. Do you think Gamble would make an okay lock? Maybe in a Benji off the bench type capacity.

Capewell throws a beautiful pass but he can’t ball play. He just needs to run.

The one thing I would get him to do is kick off. He gets massive hang time.

I think this is how we line up round 1

1. Nui
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnsworth
5. Cobbo
6. Gamble
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Hetherington

14. Paix
15. James
16. Palasai or Kennedy
17. Robati

Capewell throws a beautiful pass but he can’t ball play. He just needs to run.

The one thing I would get him to do is kick off. He gets massive hang time.
Interesting comment on his ball play. He's certainly no slouch at setting up other players. I didn't really notice him until he played Origin, where he was terrific. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in a Broncos jersey.

That would be me (and Bloke in a Bar) who'd like to see Seth Gamble fashioned into a ball playing forward. Depends how much he likes tackling, really. He looks like a ball playing lock to me. Can you think of anyone you'd rather coming off the bench?

Interesting comment on his ball play. He's certainly no slouch at setting up other players. I didn't really notice him until he played Origin, where he was terrific. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in a Broncos jersey.

That would be me (and Bloke in a Bar) who'd like to see Seth Gamble fashioned into a ball playing forward. Depends how much he likes tackling, really. He looks like a ball playing lock to me. Can you think of anyone you'd rather coming off the bench?
Tom Trbo

Lol ? Whaaa ?

If they aren`t in full training yet , I think they are gonna struggle to make the team Rnd 1 .

look at the date on the article he posted ... December 15

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.