NEWS Pies: SOS Cameron

No chance Smith will come here to play for a year anyway - he'll want to cement his legacy as a one club player. He wouldn't want to risk that with the state we're currently in.

No chance Smith will come here to play for a year anyway - he'll want to cement his legacy as a one club player. He wouldn't want to risk that with the state we're currently in.

If the bloke didn't want to risk his State of Origin win rate when he clearly had the ability to play another 3-4 years at that level, we're no hope.

If the bloke didn't want to risk his State of Origin win rate when he clearly had the ability to play another 3-4 years at that level, we're no hope.
I thought it had more to do with the rumors doing the rounds about his private life at the time?

I thought it had more to do with the rumors doing the rounds about his private life at the time?

Highly doubtful some baseless twitter rumour made him quit Origin (what correlation does that even have with his private life?)

Highly doubtful some baseless twitter rumour made him quit Origin (what correlation does that even have with his private life?)
That his wife had issues with him being away weeks at a time for soo camps and Aus camps?
Just a rumor though probably nothing in it

CS9 will announce his time is up in Melbourne shortly. It will be his last season in Melbourne and Qld beckons. Where's he going? Weighing offers, there's several. I mean there's variations on a theme. Great cash whichever of the TWO clubs gets his services. Much behind the scenes action. Fat Tony is nervous. He hopes his club loses out. 2021 either means 1.5 m plus for a single season is on offer or greater responsibility. That means Fat Tony gets 10-12 games in 21 or CS9 takes the reigns. Some hope CS9 will take the offer. He's going to be here in 21. Who he picks is uncertain. Still deciding if he wants to play or call stumps. Huge money on the table. He is undecided.

CS9 will announce his time is up in Melbourne shortly. It will be his last season in Melbourne and Qld beckons. Where's he going? Weighing offers, there's several. I mean there's variations on a theme. Great cash whichever of the TWO clubs gets his services. Much behind the scenes action. Fat Tony is nervous. He hopes his club loses out. 2021 either means 1.5 m plus for a single season is on offer or greater responsibility. That means Fat Tony gets 10-12 games in 21 or CS9 takes the reigns. Some hope CS9 will take the offer. He's going to be here in 21. Who he picks is uncertain. Still deciding if he wants to play or call stumps. Huge money on the table. He is undecided.

This is one of the most confusing posts I've ever read in my life.

You preface it by saying 'Where's he going? Weighing offers, there's several' and then say 'He's going to be here in 21'... followed by 'Who he picks is uncertain' and 'He is undecided'... WTF?

Yesterday you were saying he's coming back to QLD but the offers have nothing to do with the Broncos 'yet'... You also mention something about Seibold getting 10-12 games in 2021 OR CS9 takes the reigns, what?? So either Seibold coaches half the season or Cam Smith is coaching the Broncos in 2021?

I've genuinely never been this confused by a post.

Are you saying that the offers he has are to play for another club for $1.5m for a single season, or be our head coach?

So put money on a storm fairytale premiership?

Why would Melbourne want to re-sign Smith at 38 years of age on big money when they have Harry Grant

I hate the bloke with a passion, but let's be honest, unless he falls off the Darius Boyd Memorial Cliff, he gives you a much better shot at a premiership in your team than out of it.

Also I do think Melbourne are the kind of club that will look after their greatest ever player, even if it does cost them an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
I hate the bloke with a passion, but let's be honest, unless he falls off the Darius Boyd Memorial Cliff, he gives you a much better shot at a premiership in your team than out of it.

Also I do think Melbourne are the kind of club that will look after their greatest ever player, even if it does cost them an arm and a leg.
There is no reward for Melbourne to be sentimental. They are running a professional business and they are a ruthless sporting organisation. Their two younger options in B.Smith and Grant are hookers that would be starting at most other clubs in the NRL. Melbourne giving Smith another 12 months will be detrimental to their short-term future and they wouldn't jeopardize that.
A similar situation would be to look at the unceremonious exit that Tom Brady made from New England. One of the NFL's greatest ever players, sustained career of success and premierships and Pats didn't re-sign him.
Cameron should at least recognize this and use the opportunity to announce this is his last season at Melbourne. It will at least build up some fanfare and give him a deserved send-off....before joining us!

I think they will sign him, as part of their coaching staff, or maybe even to replace Bellamy who I think, said this is his last year as head coach.

There is no reward for Melbourne to be sentimental. They are running a professional business and they are a ruthless sporting organisation. Their two younger options in B.Smith and Grant are hookers that would be starting at most other clubs in the NRL. Melbourne giving Smith another 12 months will be detrimental to their short-term future and they wouldn't jeopardize that.
A similar situation would be to look at the unceremonious exit that Tom Brady made from New England. One of the NFL's greatest ever players, sustained career of success and premierships and Pats didn't re-sign him.
Cameron should at least recognize this and use the opportunity to announce this is his last season at Melbourne. It will at least build up some fanfare and give him a deserved send-off....before joining us!

I don't know. And I don't think it's all sentimentality, either. If he was playing like Boyd I've no doubt they'd have shipped him out as soon as they could, but he's still dominating, and they'll see the value in that, along with the narrative of this great player only ever strapping on a boot for them.

I just can't help but think they'll find some way to keep all three on the books for one last title run for Cam in 2021.

I think they will sign him, as part of their coaching staff, or maybe even to replace Bellamy who I think, said this is his last year as head coach.
This sounds the most likely outcome.

The bond between coach,player and club is pretty strong there.

You preface it by saying 'Where's he going? Weighing offers, there's several' and then say 'He's going to be here in 21'... followed by 'Who he picks is uncertain' and 'He is undecided'... WTF?

Yesterday you were saying he's coming back to QLD but the offers have nothing to do with the Broncos 'yet'... You also mention something about Seibold getting 10-12 games in 2021 OR CS9 takes the reigns, what?? So either Seibold coaches half the season or Cam Smith is coaching the Broncos in 2021?

Are you saying that the offers he has are to play for another club for $1.5m for a single season, or be our head coach?

I'm glad it confused you too because I was worried I had had a stroke.

Sorry, didn't re-read. CS9 is getting offers, not Fat Tony. Nothing decided. I said there's variations. Multiple scenarios being suggested by multiple suitors. Figures being thrown about. The only one certain of his future is Fat Tony.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.