NEWS Pies: SOS Cameron

He's the goat plus he's intelligent and if anyone was going to succeed in coaching you'd have to believe it was CS.

Just because he's the GOAT doesn't mean he has what it takes to make it as a coach. Leading on the field and carrying a team while playing is completely different to be a coach. There's a lot more involved with holding the clipboard than running out.

Lockyer was the GOAT when he retired, could you imagine him being a coach?

Just because he's the GOAT doesn't mean he has what it takes to make it as a coach. Leading on the field and carrying a team while playing is completely different to be a coach. There's a lot more involved with holding the clipboard than running out.

All due respect to Locky, but he's not Smith.
Lockyer won games through pure ability and determination to win.

Smith wins games by systematically wearing down the opposition and referees with his Rugby League IQ. He never makes a poor choice and seldom makes a single mistake.

Wally Lewis was the GOAT when he retired,...

If there was ever a player I was certain about making a great coach it’s him, he picks apart every teams weaknesses and if there isn’t one he’ll pick at a thread until he creates one. He’s footy IQ is off the scale, imagine him in the coaches box telling the trainer what to tell his halves! 🤤

If there was ever a player I was certain about making a great coach it’s him, he picks apart every teams weaknesses and if there isn’t one he’ll pick at a thread until he creates one. He’s footy IQ is off the scale, imagine him in the coaches box telling the trainer what to tell his halves! 🤤
Pies - Wait, what? Are we allowed to do that?

1608A784 2560 4BCF A8D8 2CEAF72A9E5A
Pies - Wait, what? Are we allowed to do that?

Last edited:
True, but I agree with those questioning if he can coach, Warney hasn't been able to build a new spinner for Australia no matter his brilliance. Its not about IQ, not about leadership it is about can you share you information in a way that people can understand and then implement. Not sure that he has it, until he gives it a try. What we want is a Matt or Andrew Johns to look after our spine as they can explain football to kids who can understand it. Maybe get the Morris boys to coach our outside back if they can, but they might be players only, not coaches.

Coach Cronk > Coach CS09......IMHO
Cronk pretty much coached the Roosters in the 2018 Grand Final win over MLB as a player/coach with a broken arm. Won premierships with Storm, Roosters. Now he's a halves coach with the Roosters, Cleary has really taken his game to whole new level with Cronk's influence. Cronk's resume is elite. CS09 has yet to prove himself as a coach. Will the Broncs make the same mistake hyping up Smith as the next super coach as they did with Seibold?

Coach Cronk > Coach CS09......IMHO
Cronk pretty much coached the Roosters in the 2018 Grand Final win over MLB as a player/coach with a broken arm. Won premierships with Storm, Roosters. Now he's a halves coach with the Roosters, Cleary has really taken his game to whole new level with Cronk's influence. Cronk's resume is elite. CS09 has yet to prove himself as a coach. Will the Broncs make the same mistake hyping up Smith as the next super coach as they did with Seibold?
Yeh, no doubt Smith has an astute footy mind.

But a coach is not on the field, and getting some of the morons who play this game to follow a plan would be a challenge from dummy half, let alone the box.

Add to that the fact he can’t instantly impact a game from the sideline like he can from number 9.

He seems to have all the requirements to be a good coach, but it’s foolhardy to say it’s a certainty. Reality is, it’s totally unknown.

All due respect to Locky, but he's not Smith.
Lockyer won games through pure ability and determination to win.

Smith wins games by systematically wearing down the opposition and referees with his Rugby League IQ. He never makes a poor choice and seldom makes a single mistake.

Doing that yourself while playing, and then sitting on the sidelines trying to get somebody else to do it are two different things.

I completely agree that I think Smith could potentially make a great coach, but are people seriously thinking you could throw him straight into the fire from playing and he'd be the next Bellamy or Bennett? Definitely give him a gig as an assistant, but not a head coach yet.

I completely agree that I think Smith could potentially make a great coach, but are people seriously thinking you could throw him straight into the fire from playing and he'd be the next Bellamy or Bennett? Definitely give him a gig as an assistant, but not a head coach yet.

Have people said that?

I can't speak for everyone, but my recommendation has always been 1-2 years as a player, 3-4 years as an assistant and then head coach.

Think you've misunderstood. Re-read the part you quoted. It doesn't mean I am claiming he would succeed. It means that if anyone could succeed as a coach (and coming from the playing ranks without experience as a coach) the most likely person to pull off such a feat would be CS9.

Think you've misunderstood. Re-read the part you quoted. It doesn't mean I am claiming he would succeed. It means that if anyone could succeed as a coach (and coming from the playing ranks without experience as a coach) the most likely person to pull off such a feat would be CS9.

Cooper Cronk wouldnt be far behind him for ine...if thats something hed like to pursue of course...

Cooper Cronk wouldnt be far behind him for ine...if thats something hed like to pursue

I agree. CS9 and then Cronk are two that understand the coaching gig and their greatest mentor is the best paid. It's an endorsement of Bellamy.

Will the Broncs make the same mistake hyping up Smith as the next super coach as they did with Seibold?

Doubt they’ll get the chance.
I really don’t think he’ll come here.

Watch for CS9 sign for the Titans if he leaves Melbourne.

CS9 will announce his time is up in Melbourne shortly. It will be his last season in Melbourne and Qld beckons. Where's he going? Weighing offers, there's several. I mean there's variations on a theme. Great cash whichever of the TWO clubs gets his services. Much behind the scenes action. Fat Tony is nervous. He hopes his club loses out. 2021 either means 1.5 m plus for a single season is on offer or greater responsibility. That means Fat Tony gets 10-12 games in 21 or CS9 takes the reigns. Some hope CS9 will take the offer. He's going to be here in 21. Who he picks is uncertain. Still deciding if he wants to play or call stumps. Huge money on the table. He is undecided.
Is that you Badel?
"I know some stuff but I won't reveal my source and he could change his mind, or he might do some or all of What I said. Bt what did I really say when you think about it? Or did I not say the full truth to it because I didn't want to give away my source? No matter what he decides, I'm right because things change and people change their mind. In the end, the Broncos have lost their aura even though my entire career rotates around mentioning them...signing off, australia's investigative journalistic king, badel"

Is that you Badel?
"I know some stuff but I won't reveal my source and he could change his mind, or he might do some or all of What I said. Bt what did I really say when you think about it? Or did I not say the full truth to it because I didn't want to give away my source? No matter what he decides, I'm right because things change and people change their mind. In the end, the Broncos have lost their aura even though my entire career rotates around mentioning them...signing off, australia's investigative journalistic king, badel"
Further clarification was made after that post. I was drunk at the time. Cheers but oh so late to the dance.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.