Player Movements and Rumours 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ffs... said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":1sl7w00m][quote="Ffs...":1sl7w00m]Maye we should look at another prop? Lets us play thaiday in the backrow, gives us an awesome forward pack which has to help out a new halves combo.

We have plenty of depth up front, only reason why Thaiday has been playing prop is because our Backrow is bloody awesome.[/quote:1sl7w00m]
I'm sure we do, but another rep quality prop wouldnt go astray.

No sense in salary cap space going on no one. If we wont buy a half, why not a prop?[/quote:1sl7w00m]

Why must we buy someone? All that extra cap space just means we can top up young guys when needed.

Spend it on a Superstar or don't spend it.

You don't say much that makes sense, but that did, draggx.

Isn't there talk that Dave Taylor wants to come back here ?
Surely he'd be a handy supplement to our forward stocks.

draggx said:
Why must we buy someone? All that extra cap space just means we can top up young guys when needed.

Spend it on a Superstar or don't spend it.

x 1 billion

I don't understand people's insistence in spending $ just cause we (supposedly) have it. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we have always been out our best when playing with a team largely developed by our own systems and occassionally buying a real superstar to supplement our home grown talent.

Yep def agree with draggx. Buying for the sake of it is not worth it.

IF we do have spare money we can front load contracts and have even more money for next year and the year after that, it's not exactly "wasted" money.

Just like the Dragons back-loaded Gasnier's contract because they had money the following years we can front load player contracts and have more cap space the following years for a better chance of getting a top player.

A top line prop would be good but we don't really need one IMO. I don't know when Cronk is off contract but we should throw everything at him when he does, he's worth every $.

jarro65 said:
Isn't there talk that Dave Taylor wants to come back here ?
Surely he'd be a handy supplement to our forward stocks.

I don't want him back.

Cronk is under contract with the Storm until the end of 2013 (by which time he will be 29). But I am 95% certain he won't play for the Broncos probably ever

Flutterby said:
Cronk is under contract with the Storm until the end of 2013 (by which time he will be 29). But I am 95% certain he won't play for the Broncos probably ever
He's older than I thought! I thought he was under contract until next year, if by 2014 it's not worth pursuing him.

vertigo said:
No contract for 2012 (Hodges' and Parker's contracts in progress)

Anderson
Carlaw
Copley
Gagai

Hala
Lui
McCullough
McGuire
Yow Yeh

Will Ahern, Baptiste, Britt, Frei, Kahu, Lingwoodock, Whitchurch get a run this year/next year?

Bold can stay, the rest... Sorry boys

draggx said:
Bold can stay, the rest... Sorry boys

My thoughts too, the Tigers were pretty pissed Kahu pulled a Turner and ended up here - thoughts on him?

Aren't Lingwoodock and Hala supposed to be pretty awesome?

Lingwoodock is a future star if he can stay injury free.

Scotty said:

Lingwoodock can't stay clear of injuries. Everytime he starts getting into form he breaks down with a serious injury.

Hala is a talented player but a pea heart.

Big Pete said:
Scotty said:

Lingwoodock can't stay clear of injuries. Everytime he starts getting into form he breaks down with a serious injury.

Hala is a talented player but a pea heart.

Lingwoodock has to play a game called by Gus and Rabs! It would be epic!

Don't get carried away with topping up the youngsters contracts, a very small percentage of them ever make Origin standard, and thats what we are hoping to recruit, somebody close to that.

I also like the look of Jack Reed ... but see him moving into the forwards at some point not too far down the track. I see what pace he has diminishing over time. Clearly I have little basis for such a statement, just a feel/look about him.

All this discussion has been as a result of us realising that our halves are going to be mediocre at best in years to come for the first time in our history. And the open market looks thin pickings.

That said, we need to surround them with some strike so we score points via other avenues.

Oink !

ps great name that ... Lingwoodock !

the thing about quade cooper is that the defence in Union is far weaker than it is in the NRL. also because of rucks and mauls he has far more space to move and perform his plays. he will NOT have that time and space to move in league and IMO, he would stuggle big time. I thinkl Quade Cooper would be a waste of money, because we would have to pay him a fortune to convince him to switch codes.

at times i have seen things that have impressed me about Hunt, and i think the he has the talent to be our long term no.,7, and although it wasn't against the strongest opposition, i think the final round of 2010 against canberra proved that.

I have always viewed Wallace as more of a hooker or 5/8 instead of a halfback. so with that being said with Lockyer retiring at the end of the year (hopefully with a 5th premiership to his name :D ) and assuming we are unable to secure a superstar half to replace Locky, i would go with either one of these 6,7,9 combinations for next season.

6. Wallace
7. Hunt
9. McCullough

or

6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. Wallace

although the second combination does leave us with a very inexperience halves pairing

Foordy said:
the thing about quade cooper is that the defence in Union is far weaker than it is in the NRL. also because of rucks and mauls he has far more space to move and perform his plays. he will NOT have that time and space to move in league and IMO, he would stuggle big time. I thinkl Quade Cooper would be a waste of money, because we would have to pay him a fortune to convince him to switch codes.

I completely disagree with all of this. I don't think we will sign him because of the dollars, but I reckon he would be a superstar in league if he got the chance. I think he has the best passing game of anyone in either codes at the moment and his vision, running game and kicking game aren't far behind. His big weaknesses are his defence and his consistency, although he seems to have improved with his consistency this year.

The comment about rucks and mauls doesn't really make sense, the defensive line only has to stand at the last feet of the ruck or maul, which is generally only a few metres away from the ball when the halfback puts his hand on it, compared to the 10 metres in league. There is however, heaps more broken play in union, because of the kick returns, quick lineouts, etc, which is where he shines, but he is equally as dangerous off setplays like scrums and lineouts when he is confronted with a straight defensive line, 10 metres in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • IceWorks
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • broncotville
  • Alec
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • bazza
  • Manofoneway
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Jedhead
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.