Player Movements and Rumours 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
broncospwn said:
However this is 2013 we're speaking about with a possible $3m cap increase.
This would mean we could afford these two players and still not lose any of our juniors,

I don't know where people keep getting this idea that an increase in the cap will automatically mean clubs can spend up big on big names and still keep all their other players intact. Fact is with an increase in the cap every single player will be expecting a pay rise - those currently on like $25K will be expecting at least to go to $30K+; $50K to like $70K+; $100K to $150K+ etc etc etc. So the extra cap $ will get a pretty heavy dent to keep current squads in place meaning the amount of $$ left to pay towards buying a new star or 2 won't really be as much as people seem to think.

spanky said:
SBW will sign a 4 year deal with NZRU or they wont resign him, guess we'll find out soon.

I read a thing the other day about how the NZRU will be offering him a "flexible" contract, so I asked around a few rugby people I know about what that could mean. Now this is pure speculation but they believe it might include clauses for him to take some time off during it to play league. They told me that Dan Carter (I think) has recently signed a contract with NZRU which allows him time to go off and play rugby in Europe as well. Now personally I can't see how it could work for SBW and 2 different sports - but hey stranger things have happened. All sounds pretty crazy and unfeasible to me.

FWIW - I personally agree with Coxy and think SBW is over-rated. I never saw what all the fuss and big bucks was about even before he walked out on his contract.

I believe that Cooper actually played a pretty decent level of schoolboy RL, so yeah I'd be prepared to let him try and prove himself, but wouldn't want to be paying big bucks for him straight up until he has shown he can actually cut it in RL. However I also know he won't come at all if it's not for big bucks.

Flutterby said:
broncospwn said:
However this is 2013 we're speaking about with a possible $3m cap increase.
This would mean we could afford these two players and still not lose any of our juniors,

I don't know where people keep getting this idea that an increase in the cap will automatically mean clubs can spend up big on big names and still keep all their other players intact. Fact is with an increase in the cap every single player will be expecting a pay rise - those currently on like $25K will be expecting at least to go to $30K+; $50K to like $70K+; $100K to $150K+ etc etc etc. So the extra cap $ will get a pretty heavy dent to keep current squads in place meaning the amount of $$ left to pay towards buying a new star or 2 won't really be as much as people seem to think.
I don't think it's as simple as that. The "market" so to speak will still determine how much players get, just because the cap increased it doesn't mean a player on 60-100k now is going to get any more.

With a cap increase the stars will get paid more, the lower end players won't get much of a rise and the middle range players will just depend on how many clubs they have chasing a signature.

If you're a dead average player on 60k with no clubs really chasing you just because the cap increases doesn't mean you can ask for 80k now because if you don't have much interest you don't have any bargaining power.

We need to buy a half. Apparently Tim Moltzen is available to help ease tigers cap strain, he would be a great buy. Also Thomas Leuluai is apparently also looking at a return to the nrl. Would also be a handy buy!

Is Moltzen ever a halfback though?? He plays fullback, centre and sometimes in the halves.

He was playing there last year before he did his knee. I think lol

Browny said:
He was playing there last year before he did his knee. I think lol

He was. And playing very well too. I'd be all for signing him

I don't really see the point of signing him TBH. Norman and Hunt have shown enough to say they might have a future. Wallace is getting better. We really need a gun hooker more then a replacement for Lockyer IMO.

joshobro said:
We need to buy a half. Apparently Tim Moltzen is available to help ease tigers cap strain, he would be a great buy. Also Thomas Leuluai is apparently also looking at a return to the nrl. Would also be a handy buy!

We don't need to buy a half, only way the club should consider it is if a superstar wanted to join the club.

We have young halfs to burn, we need to buy a decent hooker to take the pressure off these guys. Every year we have won the premiership recently its been because we had some form in the hooker position. McCollough has the rest of this year to produce the goods and prove he shouldnt be replaced. Anyone know of any young hookers with potential coming through the grades at the moment or any potential targets off contract? I was really disappointed when we missed Ballins signature a few years ago when he first appeared.

I'm not sure if he has re-signed or not but according to http://www.zerotackle.com.au/rugby-leag ... ract-2011/ Anthony Mitchell from Parramatta is off contract. He'd be a handy pick up and at a good price, and being a Queenslander might be easy to persuade him home (despite being from up north).

Well he would be better than McCullough anyway [icon_lol1.

according to that same link "Glen Buttriss" is off contract as well from the Raiders, Aaron Payne at the cowboys.

I've heard this kid called Kurt Baptise is pretty good. We should sign him.

lyn said:
I've heard this kid called Kurt Baptise is pretty good. We should sign him.

I also heard this McCullough kid was alright as well in the U20's icon_thumbs_u

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.