Player Movements and Rumours 2012

Manly 2011 Premiers: DCE and Foran .......Jamie Lyon

Key players, bought

i:e: not juniors.....

No one is suggesting go and buy the farm

We bought from the farm, just a shame it was the funny farm.

I want us to buy a premiership, but that doesn't look like happening.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ach-rivals-stars/story-e6frep76-1226450420463

THE under-performing Broncos have been given the ultimate show of faith, with a public promise that Red Hill will not attempt to poach from rival NRL clubs.
The Broncos have emphatically ruled out entering the player market despite concerns over halfback Peter Wallace's form and whether young guns Corey Norman and Ben Hunt can bridge the gap between potential and performance.

Millions of dollars worth of rugby league talent are up for grabs, including Cowboys and Australian star Johnathan Thurston who is off contract at the end of next season.

We bought from the farm, just a shame it was the funny farm.

I want us to buy a premiership, but that doesn't look like happening.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ach-rivals-stars/story-e6frep76-1226450420463

THE under-performing Broncos have been given the ultimate show of faith, with a public promise that Red Hill will not attempt to poach from rival NRL clubs.
The Broncos have emphatically ruled out entering the player market despite concerns over halfback Peter Wallace's form and whether young guns Corey Norman and Ben Hunt can bridge the gap between potential and performance.

Millions of dollars worth of rugby league talent are up for grabs, including Cowboys and Australian star Johnathan Thurston who is off contract at the end of next season.

Come on mate you seriously arent reading anything into what white has said are you? He is giving the speech that has to give whether it is the truth or not. Do you really think the CEO of an underperforming and dreadfully under confident team would come out and say. "hell yeah we are going after JT"

Well they haven't been active on the market for several years. (well except for Inglis & look how that turned out)

My mates who support other clubs/sports have started saying "What happened to the Broncos? they always used have flashy attack and game breakers. They should just go all out and buy Thurston and Folau"

Did you ask them where they've been all millennium? :001_tt2:

We haven't really been a flashy side since the 90s. At least consistently.

Lol, they mean over the last few years.

I don't know if its just nostalgia but my first season membership was in 08 and it seemed we could score points whenever we wanted and the second man play with Hunt was effortless :(

My mates who support other clubs/sports have started saying "What happened to the Broncos? they always used have flashy attack and game breakers. They should just go all out and buy Thurston and Folau"

And if we did, they would be the first to say, the Broncos are cheating the salary cap.

I don't know if its just nostalgia but my first season membership was in 08 and it seemed we could score points whenever we wanted and the second man play with Hunt was effortless :(

That's before Wallace turned to sh!t. :laugh:

Manly 2011 Premiers: DCE and Foran .......Jamie Lyon

Key players, bought

i:e: not juniors.....

Define bought though. DCE and Foran both spent a few years in the Manly system before cracking first grade. Not dissimilar to the way Broncos players come through.

Lyon, well yes.

Broncos bought Wallace too. And you can argue Hodges and Hannant, who both left, developed more as players and then came back. Civoniceva less so because he was at his peak at the Broncos before he was pushed out (don't mention the war!).

Broncos grand final "spines" and key players
2006 spine: Hodges (arguably bought), Lockyer, Perry (bought - ok from QLD cup, but well and truly an established player not a junior), Berrigan.
2000 spine: Lockyer, Ikin (bought), Walters (bought, played first grade including GF at Canberra), Priddis (bought)
1998: Lockyer, Walters (bought), Langer, Plath
1997: Lockyer, Walters (bought), Langer, Plath
1992-3: O'Neill, Walters (bought), Langer, Walters. Key player: Glenn Lazarus (bought)

So yes, "buying" key players has been part of the Broncos success. But it's also worth noting the Broncos have been selective in the past with who they buy and for what purpose.

The point remains, who has been out there and available in the key positions of halfback/hooker where the Broncos have most struggled for quality?

I am confident that is a player that suited our needs and was a top liner became available we would have a crack at them. I am certain we looked into Cherry-Evans but he never intended on leaving Manly.

Yeah its good to say we will not poach players but we need to look at our junior retetion policy. Its hard to believe that we have in the past 10 years had on our book cam smith, cronk, kasiano, babra off the top of my head signed as juniors, and didnt offer them a recontract. You look at some of the duds we have kept. Some thing has changed at the club. lucky locky wasnt a jr now he might end up at the dogs

Good point but of course that all happened under the reign of the megalomaniacal Bruno Cullen.

And I'm prepared to apologize for that.

Well.......

Yeah its good to say we will not poach players but we need to look at our junior retetion policy. Its hard to believe that we have in the past 10 years had on our book cam smith, cronk, kasiano, babra off the top of my head signed as juniors, and didnt offer them a recontract. You look at some of the duds we have kept. Some thing has changed at the club. lucky locky wasnt a jr now he might end up at the dogs

Bravo.....

the positions we desperately need righted, Half and Hooker.......and we let Smith and Cronk slide through our fingers

It's criminal.

And I'm prepared to apologize for that.

It's all good bro, I get what you mean now, and you are right the bulldogs paid way overs when they bought him... Makes me feel happy haha

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
  • The Strapper
  • RodF
  • Redfern_1980
  • ChewThePhatt
  • mitch222
  • Viti
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Locky24
  • BRC088
  • Adammacca
  • levikaden
  • Behind enemy lines
  • azza.79
  • Sproj
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.