Player Movements and Rumours 2012

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
See I don't get this 'boys don't have a lot of heart' stuff.

For mine, we're missing one piece off being one of if not THE best team in the competition.

If we had Greg Inglis, we'd be killing it.

One key player wouldn't bring the Broncos up to the level of the Melbourne Storm.

SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008
Well I for one really rate Reynolds, and yes I agree he may not be the most talented player, but what he would bring (if he did end up in a broncos jersey) is the determination that means he will never give up on a play, and more importantly to our team he'd bring a support play that is basically non existent at the moment. Would be a great buy...if true I believe would be very astute recruitment.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Reynolds is a rookie who wouldn't add anything to the roster we already have, the dogs play a different brand of football that complements Reynolds support play but I wouldn't describe him as a creative ball player. Norman showed enough in his first full year of first grade to suggest he can be a quality 5/8, provided we are patient with him.

Fullback remains our biggest weakness for next season imo, in today's game you need a quality ball playing fullback to be a real threat, Hoffman isn't one atm. Its hardly a coincidence that we barely skipped a beat when we lost Hoffman and replaced him with Beale in 2011, but without Locky in the halves we do not have the creativity to carry a one dimensional fb. We either need to start from scratch at the back with Kahu or maybe even Bond if he bulked up a bit, or we go outside the club and buy a bluechip fb.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Do you think they have their all towards the end of the season?

Generally yes.

I've seen plenty of slumps to suggest it was what it was. We were a team that no matter how hard we tried we were caught in the quick-sand and we just didn't have the confidence in ourselves to win.

Bull_Shark said:
One key player wouldn't bring the Broncos up to the level of the Melbourne Storm.

We were one dodgy try off beating them this year even at our worse!

It'd easily put us on level with them.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Reynolds is a rookie who wouldn't add anything to the roster we already have, the dogs play a different brand of football that complements Reynolds support play but I wouldn't describe him as a creative ball player. Norman showed enough in his first full year of first grade to suggest he can be a quality 5/8, provided we are patient with him.

Fullback remains our biggest weakness for next season imo, in today's game you need a quality ball playing fullback to be a real threat, Hoffman isn't one atm. Its hardly a coincidence that we barely skipped a beat when we lost Hoffman and replaced him with Beale in 2011, but without Locky in the halves we do not have the creativity to carry a one dimensional fb. We either need to start from scratch at the back with Kahu or maybe even Bond if he bulked up a bit, or we go outside the club and buy a bluechip fb.

As far as our options go for next year, I'd back Bond as our number 1 choice to start with. He seems quite a bit smarter than Hoffman. Quicker too. He's small, but that's really only a disadvantage when playing Origin or Tests.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
We were one dodgy try off beating them this year even at our worse!

It'd easily put us on level with them.

There was a BIG difference between the Melbourne that edged the Broncos that night and the Melbourne that I watched over the last four weeks of the season (& especially on grand final day).

Put Cooper Cronk & Billy Slater in broncos colours & give our squad a year under Craig Bellamy and we might be ready to match the level that the Storm played with at the business end of last season.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I reckon Renoylds could be given a shot at fullback if we signed him. Don't know what he's like under the highball but the rest of his game would suit the role.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Melbourne easily has the best 1,6,7,9 combo in the competition. Ours is arguably the worst. On the other hand, our other players completely dominate theirs IMHO, so as long as we had a few good players in the key positions, we might be able to match them.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I reckon Renoylds could be given a shot at fullback if we signed him. Don't know what he's like under the highball but the rest of his game would suit the role.

Reckon that would go about as well as Anasta's tenure at fullback tbh.

Completely agree with Alec.

I have faith in our coach and players to step up. Macca could very well become a great player and the Storm superstars aren't getting any younger. If we added GI to our fullback role and our players came into their own we'd be right up there with the best, no questions.

Ya'll seem to forget even without that superstar spine player we were still entrenched in the top 4 for the majority of the season.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Lol are you for real?? I can't see how that would be a good move at all.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Ya'll seem to forget even without that superstar spine player we were still entrenched in the top 4 for the majority of the season.

But how many Top 8 teams did we beat. I know we beat Souths twice and touched the Raiders up at home but other than that I don't recall us winning any game against the teams that were in contention* for the premiership. I do agree our non-spine is quite strong, but not sure one player is enough. At least not without a change in the way we play our football.

*FOR THE BENEFIT OF COMPOUND FRACTURE, WHEN I SAY TEAMS WERE IN "CONTENTION" FOR THE PREMIERSHIP, I MEAN IT IN THE SENSE THAT THEY HAD A LEGITIMATE CHANCE OF WINNING, AND DO NOT INTEND FOR IT TO BE INTERPRETED THAT WE DID NOT BEAT TEAM WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE NRL PREMIERSHIP IN SEASON 2012.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Which is why I have the faith in our players to adapt and alter their approach. We saw flashes of it and we were quite successful at playing an expansive brand of football, if the club can build on that and we add that special talent we're in for a premiership.

It's a fair point bringing up that stat. but let's not forget we matched the likes of Melbourne, Manly & Cowboys right until the death. We're not that far off them and we have plenty of improvement left in us.

Coxy - He'd probably cost over twice the amount of Mr. Nuffnuff too.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Lol are you for real?? I can't see how that would be a good move at all.

Yeah I'm serious. If Hoffman doesn't improve 10 fold next year then we don't exactly have many options, Norman is not really a good option. Joe Bond is all good and well but the guy might be no good at first grade, hopefully he is though and we can have a Barba type player at the back.

We don't really know if Renoylds would be good or bad at fullback but I think a trial game or two there would give us a good idea. Could be great, could be a flop.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Nah Reynolds is a half/hooker. No way would I even consider playing him there, I got laughed at for suggesting Reed despite his obvious strong points that would work as a fb.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Our old mate who is close with Gagai says he's been chatting to Will Hopoate and says he wants to stay in Brisbane and play under Kearney.

Hopefully that Eels contract isn't 100% and we could snag him for 2014 as fullback.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Yeah, he's been going off bout that for a good 6 months now.

Saw some article suggesting he's enjoying the Brisbane lifestyle so where there is smoke I spose....

Old Mate - What makes you think Reed would make a good fullback?

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • broncos4life
  • Mustafur
  • ell.d33
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Lozza
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.