THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reyno was on the radio not long ago talking about when he first came to the club and just how little Rugby League knowledge the team had, especially the forwards.

Well , talkin imparting knowledge to forwards .
That would fall under the job description of the assistant coach in charge of the forwards wouldn`t it ?

Thanks for the warning, but if I was triggered by nonsense spouted by nobodies with a misguided belief in the value of their opinions, I'd have put you on ignore a long time ago.
Ouch, but in the true spirt of nonsense sprouted by nobodies, I hope that management is planning on doing a very thorough season review quite quickly after the season ends. I hope that this:

(a) Is done by somebody independent of the club.
(b) Is done by somebody that has good knowledge of the game and is just not a HR flog. Although one HR flog and one experienced RL person would be fine.
(c) Includes probing exit interviews with all staff that are leaving with a particular focus on the coaching staff.
(d) Includes probing interviews with the player leadership group, one on one, with the understanding going in that all views expressed will be kept anonymous.

If there is a genuine belief bubbling under the surface at the club that KW is not the coach to take us to an extended period of success, I want that brought to the surface and addressed. I am sick of treading water and waiting for the good days to return. Two GF appearances in 17 years is not good enough for this club with its history. No winning GF since 2006 is doubly so.

Thanks for the warning, but if I was triggered by nonsense spouted by nobodies with a misguided belief in the value of their opinions, I'd have put you on ignore a long time ago.
I've had you on ignore for years but it no longer works properly. Please reciprocate. That way you don't have to piddle over the floor every time I post.

The issue is, and I think most already know this, but the team is lazy. They don’t want to get in the grind and build a platform. They want to go for the highlight play every time.

Yeah it’s partly ego, or a rush of blood but what it ultimately is, is laziness. The flashy play doesn’t require consistent back to back efforts for 80 minutes straight. It isn’t taking the hard, ugly hit ups, and kicking for field position. It isn’t making 3 efforts in a row in defence. It isn’t being in motion even when the ball isn’t anywhere near you, to put defenders in 2 minds.

Flashy plays are mentally and physically easier. Everything we do is lazy. It’s not just stupidity - taking the high risk high reward option is the easy way out. That’s why we have so many dumb flick passes, and runs into touch. Rushing in to jam is easier than working as a unit on every play.

It’s why everything goes to shit when Reynolds isn’t playing. Why do we seem to have more individual errors when Adam isn’t playing, even though he shouldn’t have anything to do with Riki shirt grabbing in defence? Because they get away with the lazy efforts more.

Being down on talent simply means there's less capability for the big plays, less individual brilliance, defense not being as good.

It doesn't make players throw forward passes. Give away 7 penalties in the first half. Silly turn-over errors.

It doesn't stop regular top 17 players from being nowhere to be found when a player makes a half break - not putting in the 1%ers.

It is however another example of an outfit thats:

- Not at an elite level of fitness. [Coaching issue]
- Not drilling their players enough to minimise errors. [Coaching issue]
- Our attack has looked out to sea all year when ARey isn't playing. We score generally through individual brilliance rather than good structured play. [Coaching issue]
- Even when we can field our top 17 - sans ARey, we still aren't making and average of 45+m a set and ARey isn't going to fix that stat. [Coaching issue]
- Another in an increasingly long line of games now where we've conceded 3 tries inside of 10 minutes. It's becoming our thing now. [Mentally weak]

Any decent coach should be able to at least improve these issues - but we're looking just as shit today as we looked in round 1.

We had a tilt last year and it's like everyone took the foot off the gas, coming into this year expecting it all to just happen. Not realising, we fell short because we weren't good enough and we needed to go harder.

Discipline has been shit.

Fitness is well behind other clubs.

We can't wrestle/slow down the ruck like other clubs - there's a technique issue or something, we're getting caught out and it's destroying our possession to the point where not conceeding penalties/six agains and hanging onto the fucking ball should be the only thing trained outside of fitness for about a fucking month. You can't win anything spending the whole damn game in your own half.

These are issues ANY player in the top 30 should be able to improve on and contribute to.
Spot on answer mate,

Ouch, but in the true spirt of nonsense sprouted by nobodies, I hope that management is planning on doing a very thorough season review quite quickly after the season ends. I hope that this:

(a) Is done by somebody independent of the club.
(b) Is done by somebody that has good knowledge of the game and is just not a HR flog. Although one HR flog and one experienced RL person would be fine.
(c) Includes probing exit interviews with all staff that are leaving with a particular focus on the coaching staff.
(d) Includes probing interviews with the player leadership group, one on one, with the understanding going in that all views expressed will be kept anonymous.

If there is a genuine belief bubbling under the surface at the club that KW is not the coach to take us to an extended period of success, I want that brought to the surface and addressed. I am sick of treading water and waiting for the good days to return. Two GF appearances in 17 years is not good enough for this club with its history. No winning GF since 2006 is doubly so.

Not sure too much of valuable insight would come from our players

I've had you on ignore for years but it no longer works properly. Please reciprocate. That way you don't have to piddle over the floor every time I post.

I mean it seems unlikely, but I suppose if you say so it must be true. It couldn't be that you actually go out of your way to read my posts. That'd be stalkerish and weird...

Can I ask a mod to fix that for McHunt, so he can go back to living in ignorance of my witty, insightful, effortlessly handsome, and always inspiring posts?

Don’t know about you guys, but Kevvie needs assistants next year… maybe he could get a subscription to BHQ as one of those. Whilst there are some howlers from the fans, some of us here actually come up with some good shit.
Well….
Can’t be any worse than what is being dished up right now.

Overall, absolutely fuming, frustrated & annoyed of the last 6 games. Complete opposite direction to same time last year’s direction. How the heck did we get here? I don’t reckon it’s just injuries that plaguing us. Chronically, there exists a bigger issue that has been overlooked for long. My only hope is, DD has acknowledged this and is working astutely in the back to fix it.

It’s why everything goes to shit when Reynolds isn’t playing. Why do we seem to have more individual errors when Adam isn’t playing, even though he shouldn’t have anything to do with Riki shirt grabbing in defence? Because they get away with the lazy efforts more.
I think we are really seeing the impact off a lack of leadership on the field. Especially with the likes of Reynolds and Carrigan not there. Even though he wasn't so flashy himself, players like Capewell also held some of our younger players accountable (still remeber that spray he gave Walsh for being lazy in defence).

Our injuries have turned us into 2020/21 Broncos - bunch of talented kids with no idea how to impliment a game plan. Also losing impacts confidence, which sometimes gets you in a rut.

Hopefully there's a post origin bounce back we can latch on to. Even though it was just the Dragons, our meters gained seemed to have improved - hopefully we keep that going.

Overall, absolutely fuming, frustrated & annoyed of the last 6 games. Complete opposite direction to same time last year’s direction. How the heck did we get here? I don’t reckon it’s just injuries that plaguing us. Chronically, there exists a bigger issue that has been overlooked for long. My only hope is, DD has acknowledged this and is working astutely in the back to fix it.

Relying wayyy too much on the expertise of one player and painting over some long rotten cracks is the bigger issue you're referring to.

KW is probably safe for the first part of next season by using injuries as an excuse for our current debacle, and the fact we reached the GF last season. Honestly though, I just cannot see things improving next year. The roster is a shambles, we have a group of mentally week players and no enforcers like for example JWH but without the poor discipline. KW is a damn good bloke, but his she'll be right attitude is not good enough, and I have zero confidence that he has the ability to change things for the better. He was the right choice after the Seibold and stabilised the club, but making the finals only once is not good enough for us.
We should be making the top 8 EVERY SEASON NO EXCUSES.
So what are the options?
Continue as we are and hope that things change with better coaching assistants?
Move KW into a figurehead role and appoint a younger coach that our players can associate with and respect ie Arey, Billy Slater?
Or bring in a no nonsense type coach like Madge?
Have no idea really, just throwing it out there.
What I do know is that doing nothing, changes nothing.
Finally, despite the injuries, does anyone really think that we would have lost 6 in a row with a decent coach? and seriously would any other club in the NRL employ KW as head coach and BW as starting hooker?

I think most of us would love Kevvie to be the guy but the reality is the results don't back him up. We've capitulated in 2 of the seasons he has coached and we managed to lose a Grand Final that we had all but won. The raw data suggests we need to get ready to look elsewhere

Finally, despite the injuries, does anyone really think that we would have lost 6 in a row with a decent coach?
Sydney Roosters under Trent Robinson went from minor premiers in 2015 to finishing 2nd last in 2016 (including losing 6 in a row).

2017 they were 2nd again, and then in 2018/19 went on to win back to back premierships. Sometimes shit happens, even under "decent" coaches.

Active Now

• marw
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Waynesaurus
  • scobie
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Xarr
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.