THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was on board for the Kev can't cut it, time to look around club, but I am really starting to wonder if we are being too harsh.

As it stands today the following coaches are under extreme to moderate pressure regarding being sacked (ranked in my opinion as to most severe risk):

Trent Barrett
Michael Maguire
Anthony Griffin
Kevin Walters
Adam O'Brien
Ricky Stuart
Nathan Brown
Justin Holbrook

Until the last few games I would have also included Todd Payten.

That is half of the teams in the comp have the coach under some degree of pressure.

Most of those coaches started with a squad and club better positioned than what Walters had to deal with. I think a lot of us are underestimating how difficult it actually is to turn a club around when they had fallen as far as we had. In the next 5 games there are some winnable games if KW has started to turn the club around. If we can win 2-3 of those games we might be reasonably placed to get into the 8.

Given that there really are no stand out candidates on the market, I wonder if we just ride this out for a while and see how KW goes.

Is anyone else surprised at how many ex forwards have transitioned into coaching? You would think playmakers would be the only ones capable of becoming coaches since they're generally considered smarter than forwards haha. But surprisingly some of the better rated coaches and assistants were forwards in their playing days.

Is anyone else surprised at how many ex forwards have transitioned into coaching? You would think playmakers would be the only ones capable of becoming coaches since they're generally considered smarter than forwards haha. But surprisingly some of the better rated coaches and assistants were forwards in their playing days.
That’s because playmakers are pretty enough to get cushy media jobs

That’s because playmakers are pretty enough to get cushy media jobs
That's true. But my point was more about how many playmakers have tried their hand at coaching and haven't been successful. Whereas we are seeing more forwards become coaches and are actually having success. I guess I'm just surprised that many forwards have made better coaches than some playmakers.

No I'm not really surprised. Jack Gibson was a prop, Phil Gould played second row, Wayne Bennett was a winger and Craig Bellamy and Mal Meninga were centres. It's not a completely new thing.

I couldn't see many modern day players in a spine position wanting to be a head coach after retirement these days anyway. With the amount of pressure they had on them as players, they are probably all over it.

That's not say there aren't any. I think Peter Wallace is coaching Penrith's NSW cup team, and Ben Hornby still has something to do with the Dragons. But I can't think of many more.

I’m not a fan of Green and don’t want him but in the interests of fairness, it’s a bit harsh to say his whole reputation was built on JT. He took a JT-less side to the GF, that’s pretty impressive. Of course people will say Morgan had a purple patch and he certainly did and everyone else fell down but why? In spite of the coach? That’s a bit petty. Green is a decent coach but he has massive flaws and that’s why I don’t want him. He isn’t in the elite category which is what we all want and there are like three of those. He’s in the good, borderline very good category and that is where the likes of your Adam O’Briens and Anthony Griffins are. We need to aim higher.

No I'm not really surprised. Jack Gibson was a prop, Phil Gould played second row, Wayne Bennett was a winger and Craig Bellamy and Mal Meninga were centres. It's not a completely new thing.

I couldn't see many modern day players in a spine position wanting to be a head coach after retirement these days anyway. With the amount of pressure they had on them as players, they are probably all over it.

That's not say there aren't any. I think Peter Wallace is coaching Penrith's NSW cup team, and Ben Hornby still has something to do with the Dragons. But I can't think of many more.
That's precisely my point. Some of the better coaches in the past, and even
currently have been forwards. I'm not saying it's a new thing. I'm just saying it's surprising that forwards can actually be good coaches.

Usually forwards are considered too dumb to do anything other than run hard and tackle hard. They'd probably be last on the list of positions you would think could transition into coaching. But that's clearly not the case, and many are actually smarter and better thinkers about the game in general. As I said, it's just surprising.

I’m not a fan of Green and don’t want him but in the interests of fairness, it’s a bit harsh to say his whole reputation was built on JT. He took a JT-less side to the GF, that’s pretty impressive. Of course people will say Morgan had a purple patch and he certainly did and everyone else fell down but why? In spite of the coach? That’s a bit petty. Green is a decent coach but he has massive flaws and that’s why I don’t want him. He isn’t in the elite category which is what we all want and there are like three of those. He’s in the good, borderline very good category and that is where the likes of your Adam O’Briens and Anthony Griffins are. We need to aim higher.
I agree. I feel if Green were to become Broncos coach, we may initially get some good results early and it would appear to be a good coaching appointment initially, but a season or so into his tenure is what I'm most concerned about. If his Cowboys stint is anything to go by, I feel that's when things will begin to turn pear-shaped very quickly, and we will pretty much be worse off than before he became coach. Unless he has learnt from past mistakes, I feel his gameplans do not evolve and they become extremely predictable and ineffective. I don't think it's what this group needs. I would rather persist with Walters, as long as he improves his assistants.

He's a horrible man manager and if this squad has shown anything it's that they won't play if they don't respect the coach.

Appointing a crap man manager like Green would be disastrous, especially if the squad doesn't have a leadership group already established.

I was on board for the Kev can't cut it, time to look around club, but I am really starting to wonder if we are being too harsh.

As it stands today the following coaches are under extreme to moderate pressure regarding being sacked (ranked in my opinion as to most severe risk):

Trent Barrett
Michael Maguire
Anthony Griffin
Kevin Walters
Adam O'Brien
Ricky Stuart
Nathan Brown
Justin Holbrook

Until the last few games I would have also included Todd Payten.

That is half of the teams in the comp have the coach under some degree of pressure.

Most of those coaches started with a squad and club better positioned than what Walters had to deal with. I think a lot of us are underestimating how difficult it actually is to turn a club around when they had fallen as far as we had. In the next 5 games there are some winnable games if KW has started to turn the club around. If we can win 2-3 of those games we might be reasonably placed to

Given that there really are no stand out candidates on the market, I wonder if we just ride this out for a while and see how KW goes.
I remember I got blasted on here when I said Holbrook is not a super coach. People were saying the titans were showing us what we need to do hahahaha.. Holbrook had a 75% win record in the super league was put up as evidence. St helens, the club he coached, has had that percentage throughout his entire career. Then they were buying and developing/bringing in great juniors, what a bright future... but neglecting the spine, the broncos 2018-2020 model of salary cap management.... got hammered for that too for being jealous by my titans mates, lol... it's gonna get worse for the titans over the next few years....

yuck , what makes you think he could do a job here ? other than the last 2 games they've been disgusting.
Sorry, I meant of the three. They’re all pretty dire options.

He's a horrible man manager and if this squad has shown anything it's that they won't play if they don't respect the coach.

Appointing a crap man manager like Green would be disastrous, especially if the squad doesn't have a leadership group already established.

Yep and this is one of the flaws I am talking about. If we are going to go for an experienced coach (and just so we are clear here, I am not off the Kevvie train at all yet even though I have concerns as I think he is going alright but as most seem to agree, needs some better assistants) we need to find one with a track record of being able to rejuvenate while staying competitive. The three best at that are Bennett (unless he leaves and decides to underhandedly torch the joint on his way out), Robinson and the best of all, Bellamy. Cleary seems to be doing it too now actually. So that leave long term Super League coaches and I guess that narrows the field down to Shaun Wane but him and any other long termers will be unproven at NRL level.

So that leaves either long term average coaches like Green or even Henry or the dodginess himself, Flanagan if we want someone available with experience. If we want to go inexperienced at NRL level but runs on the board elsewhere, we are looking at Q Cup coaches, NRL assistants or relatively successful Super League coaches like Adrian Lam, Justin Holbrook (hehe), Brett Hodgson, etc. So any coach we get really if we replace Kevvie, will be unproven or have question marks hanging over them.

So keep Kevvie for now, just give him better help, especially someone who looks a gun head coach in waiting ala Ryles or Ciraldo, etc.

The choice should be taken out of Walters' hands when it comes to assistants. Ikin and DD should have their eyes on every option. Get Ciraldo in ASAP, tell Hagan it's the QLD team and Walters needs his help. Offer Cam Smith whatever he wants and get Brad Thorn in a couple of days a week. Paying them shouldn't be an option, News Corp should step up and prove they want us to be a winning team and not a business expense used for clicks.

The choice should be taken out of Walters' hands when it comes to assistants. Ikin and DD should have their eyes on every option. Get Ciraldo in ASAP, tell Hagan it's the QLD team and Walters needs his help. Offer Cam Smith whatever he wants and get Brad Thorn in a couple of days a week. Paying them shouldn't be an option, News Corp should step up and prove they want us to be a winning team and not a business expense used for clicks.

I keep seeing that Get Ciraldo in or get Ryles in etc ... but it's just not a realistic option.

these types of assistants won't leave their current jobs for another assistant role ... they'll only leave for a head coaching gig

Unread

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.