THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
The thing is with the no line speed, was it actually a problem? We had the best defence in the league, it was actually highly revered. I'd take that 🤣
3rd best actually (behind storm and roosters)... we were also conceding like 70m sets at times.

I don't think it's a sustainable approach and would consider 2015 to be an anomaly for defences probably across the last 15-20yrs.

Kearney was with Broncos from 2013-2016 and our defensive record under him through to when Bennett was knifed is below... to me Kearney wasn't so much a defensive genius, instead the defence improved when Bennett turned up and to me that is probably more to do with the mentality of the squad over that time and wanting to play for Bennett.

2013 9th (477 pts)
2014 7th (456 pts)
2015 3rd (379 pts)
2016 5th (434 pts)
2017 4th (433 pts)
2018 10th (500 pts)

3rd best actually (behind storm and roosters)... we were also conceding like 70m sets at times.

I don't think it's a sustainable approach and would consider 2015 to be an anomaly for defences probably across the last 15-20yrs.

Kearney was with Broncos from 2013-2016 and our defensive record under him through to when Bennett was knifed is below... to me Kearney wasn't so much a defensive genius, instead the defence improved when Bennett turned up and to me that is probably more to do with the mentality of the squad over that time and wanting to play for Bennett.

2013 9th (477 pts)
2014 7th (456 pts)
2015 3rd (379 pts)
2016 5th (434 pts)
2017 4th (433 pts)
2018 10th (500 pts)
At the time it was talked as the best defence in the league, even if the stats don't show it.

What our defence did well in 2015 was our scramble defence and our goal line defence (which is where we did rush up). Boyd playing in the defensive line in our defensive 20-30 was also new'ish and teams had not adjusted to countering it (which all have done now).

We could also score points from anywhere in that team.

Scramble defence worked better then because it was a slower game with less fatigue and when the defensive line was too impacted you could give away a penalty and reset it. Now it is a 6 again and a free shot at an unorganised defensive line.

In recent times, the teams with aggressive line speed (resulting in them taking momentum into the tackle), dominating the ruck and incurring less metres per set have been winning. The teams that do not do these (us) are losing.

I think we need to change the title of this thread to "Kev is wasting his time" as when you look at how the grub JWH got away with the hip drop on Su'a yesterday (where Flegs or any other Bronco would be looking at 5 weeks) and Tupou was not even sinned binned for a tackle that Hook suggested would have warranted "two years in jail" if it had happened during the magic round last year.

The murmurs of bias towards certain teams have now became a loud roar from even pundits down south. At present it doesn't matter how well prepared Kev's team are, they're not a hope of beating the sides chosen by the N(SW)RL to be given a free reign.

This Green talk makes me ill.

Being fired from another head coaching gig in the NRL should AUTOMATICALLY ELIMINATE FROM CONSIDERATION to coach the Broncos.

Being fired from another head coaching gig in the NRL should AUTOMATICALLY ELIMINATE FROM CONSIDERATION to coach the Broncos.
Ivan Cleary was sacked from Penrith. You wouldn't take him?

He's coaching a team that even Hook wasn't screwing up. He's barely cracking 50% win rate.
Does Hook also have a son who would be attached in the deal who is arguably the best player in the world?

Ignore it. It's just panicked people looking at his friendship with Ikin and thinking it's a foregone conclusion. His record at the Cows and Maroons should be plenty to see him scratched from the list.

If it's not Kevvie coaching us, it will be someone else who is relatively unproven.

The only person who I can think of that has won a comp would be Paul Green but he won that comp with Thurston and Taumololo basically dominating at the time. One of the best modern day halfbacks along side one of the best modern day forwards. Green then stepped into Origin and was a failure.

Woolf? sure, but he's had success taking over a team that had an 80% win rate before he took over.

The sad reality, there are no better options and Kevvie has improved the team.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.