THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
His first NRL gig isn't going to be a revival job with that sort of a resume, knowing if it doesn't work out all of those accolades don't count for a whole lot.
That could happen with any nrl job, it’s the life of a coach, live & die by the results. He would be walking into a club with a finals quality roster, well established development system, and every resource at his disposal - it’s the dream job for any coach. I have heard he can be pretty intense, but it must work for him & he must know when to reign it in, because I don’t think you win b2b titles if you are full on all the time. I also don’t think the Tongan boys would respond to that, but they apparently love him.

That could happen with any nrl job, it’s the life of a coach, live & die by the results. He would be walking into a club with a finals quality roster, well established development system, and every resource at his disposal - it’s the dream job for any coach. I have heard he can be pretty intense, but it must work for him & he must know when to reign it in, because I don’t think you win b2b titles if you are full on all the time. I also don’t think the Tongan boys would respond to that, but they apparently love him.

There's no way I can come into the idea that our roster is finals quality.

Kevie deserves his time in his contract, he's worked and working hard with what we are able to provide him. If we are continuing on our upwards trajectory then I have no problems in giving him he's 2 years. Players are improving and juniors are developing nicely so if we arent comfortably in the top 8 as of the end of next year thats when he's times up in my opinion.
i agree but what if we end up winning the spoon this year? do we still give kevie next year or just call it.

And lets be honest with how up and down alot of teams are this year there is still a very real chance we do. if dogs find some form we should start to worry.
I look at the draw and cant say with any confidence we win that game.

I personally think if kevie gets us around 8-10 he gets a pass mark.
If we battle for the spoon or win it i personally think he has to go at end of year.
Im rooting for him though. seems like such a great bloke

Did you miss the beautiful try that was Reynolds to Oates? Have you missed seeing Kotoni getting early ball? Payne's passing before the line? Cobbo being put away regularly down the right? The inside-out passes between Reynolds and the fullback?

The team is still trying to bed them down but the structures are there. Kevvie is going ok, he certainly deserves more time.

They were good plays, but we all know a lot of it is basically down to Reynolds at the moment. At the same time, we still keep collapsing too easily when we get put under pressure. In the scheme of things, my opinion of Kevvie has never changed. I love the bloke, but he isnt a good head coach imo. He should get this year, and i hope he leaves me with egg on my face, but i dont see us even challenging for top 8 under him.

I'm not buying the bedding down argument after over a year. In terms of our identity as a football team and having good fundamentals, they should be in place right now. Our systems should be there, we should have our structure in place so when we either recruit a player or pick one from our squad, they should come into the team, know their role in our system and i'm still not seeing it. I dont expect overnight success either, i dont expect Storm levels of structure, but i'd expect better then what we see.

The thing i find funny is we have a Kevvie advocate in @BroncosFever being critical of Green because he had JT running things basically, but we are in the same boat. Without Reynolds, an abysmal Bulldogs side would have beaten us the other day. That really should speak volumes of where we still are as a team.

Did you miss the beautiful try that was Reynolds to Oates? Have you missed seeing Kotoni getting early ball? Payne's passing before the line? Cobbo being put away regularly down the right? The inside-out passes between Reynolds and the fullback?

The team is still trying to bed them down but the structures are there. Kevvie is going ok, he certainly deserves more time.
We were doing that Oates set play under Seibold 3 years ago.

They were good plays, but we all know a lot of it is basically down to Reynolds at the moment. At the same time, we still keep collapsing too easily when we get put under pressure. In the scheme of things, my opinion of Kevvie has never changed. I love the bloke, but he isnt a good head coach imo. He should get this year, and i hope he leaves me with egg on my face, but i dont see us even challenging for top 8 under him.

I'm not buying the bedding down argument after over a year. In terms of our identity as a football team and having good fundamentals, they should be in place right now. Our systems should be there, we should have our structure in place so when we either recruit a player or pick one from our squad, they should come into the team, know their role in our system and i'm still not seeing it. I dont expect overnight success either, i dont expect Storm levels of structure, but i'd expect better then what we see.

The thing i find funny is we have a Kevvie advocate in @BroncosFever being critical of Green because he had JT running things basically, but we are in the same boat. Without Reynolds, an abysmal Bulldogs side would have beaten us the other day. That really should speak volumes of where we still are as a team.

I’m not a Kevvie advocate, I’m a realist. You can’t sack every bloke who doesn’t instantly perform, do you understand how development works? I don’t think you understand how anything works, to be perfectly honest.

If it were up to you, Kotoni Staggs would be in QLD Cup (you know, the bloke in the mix to play for NSW). Thank **** it isn’t up to you.

Personally, I can’t wait until the Dolphins enter the NRL so you can piss off to their forum and I don’t have to read your dribble.

I think people do need to keep in mind that 3 wins from 7 isn’t terrible but what is concerning is that 2 of those wins are against the bulldogs. The only team we’ve been able to consistently beat for the last 2 seasons.

I think people do need to keep in mind that 3 wins from 7 isn’t terrible but what is concerning is that 2 of those wins are against the bulldogs. The only team we’ve been able to consistently beat for the last 2 seasons.
I'm with wolfie here.

We should have some semblance of structure to our side by now if not in attack then 100% in defence. its unacceptable that our defence is as bad as it is for an nrl side. We do not defend as a unit at all ive said it before but our defense is based all on heart and desire.

Which can be great but it cannot be sustained. which is why you see us put in some great goal line defence at times and then defend like under 8's other times.

And all of this comes down to coaching. I would 100% love for kevie to prove me wrong and turn us into a great defensive unit. Payten managed to turn the cows around in the preseason but we are just as bad as last year.

I’m not a Kevvie advocate, I’m a realist. You can’t sack every bloke who doesn’t instantly perform, do you understand how development works? I don’t think you understand how anything works, to be perfectly honest.

If it were up to you, Kotoni Staggs would be in QLD Cup (you know, the bloke in the mix to play for NSW). Thank **** it isn’t up to you.

Personally, I can’t wait until the Dolphins enter the NRL so you can piss off to their forum and I don’t have to read your dribble.
Oh thats made me laugh.

Grow up kid. I am a fan of the Broncos. If you cant handle it block me again like you did because you couldnt handle any critique of your toe sucking little mate. And yep, i would have dropped Staggs. He was playing like shit. He shouldnt have needed everyone being critical of him to give him such a kick up the arse to start performing. And he has still only played well in 2 games out of 7. Nobody doubts his talent, least of all me as i was going on about him before he was even close to our side, but as i said at the time, if he plays well, or if he plays shit, i'll judge him on that game.

I've got a way, way better understanding of development than you do. If you actually read what people wrote instead of firing up like a petulant child everytime somebody doesn't agree with you would clearly see it. Nobody expects perfection. Nobody expects a top 4 or even top 6 challenge. We want a football team with structure that can get the basics right. We aren't there, and we have a head coach and his assistants who have had well over a year to get it in place. Hardly instant expectation.

Just because in your little mind there aren't any better coaches out there than Kevvie, it doesn't actually mean there aren't any better coaches out there than Kevvie. I dont know why you get so defensive about being a Kevvie advocate ( maybe you dont know what the word means 🤷‍♂️ ). You clearly are because you think he is the right man for the job. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Its like i said before, If he wasnt Kevin Walters, the Broncos legend, does anyone seriously think we would have considered anyone with such an ordinary coaching record?

Its like i said before, If he wasnt Kevin Walters, the Broncos legend, does anyone seriously think we would have considered anyone with such an ordinary coaching record?
It was also the cheapest option for a CEO who had already checked out and had already blown their wad on Seibold. They didn’t even give him a presser that’s how uninspired the decision was.

It was also the cheapest option for a CEO who had already checked out and had already blown their wad on Seibold. They didn’t even give him a presser that’s how uninspired the decision was.
As ridiculous as it sounds, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the decision to appoint Walters was somewhat motivated by a want to appease the old boys. By giving Walters his shot now, it was the board's way of saying 'alright, we're giving your guy a go.. if he succeeds we never hear from you again and he fails we never hear from you again.'

As ridiculous as it sounds, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the decision to appoint Walters was somewhat motivated by a want to appease the old boys. By giving Walters his shot now, it was the board's way of saying 'alright, we're giving your guy a go.. if he succeeds we never hear from you again and he fails we never hear from you again.'
Yeah, I also think it was a PR move and they signed him just long enough to fix our cap woes.

His appointment reminds me a lot of Toovey at Manley

I think thats exactly what they did. I'm just not getting this argument people who dont think he is cut out to be our coach are expecting him to instantly perform. I'm expecting more than i'm seeing currently, and we may well get it. I just have my doubts.

I'm also not saying Kevvie has done a sterling job but there is some evidence of structure even if it gets explained away as just Reynolds doing this or that or we were doing it three years ago. There always seems to be a reason to explain away anything good the side is doing and I just want credit where it is due.

Defensively, we are I think 43 points less than this time last year, that is a lot of improvement. Now maybe that is due to quality of comparative sides, I don't know but again, to me that is a big difference. We have also scored more than last year, again improvement. Could a better coach be getting more out of this side? If it were a Bellamy, Robinson or even Arthur, probably but none of them are available.

I think this week will really tell us a lot. If we get hammered by the Sharks, yep back on the come on Kevvie train but if we put up a good showing, even going down in a tough fight, I think Kevvie should get the credit he deserves.

I'm also not saying Kevvie has done a sterling job but there is some evidence of structure even if it gets explained away as just Reynolds doing this or that or we were doing it three years ago. There always seems to be a reason to explain away anything good the side is doing and I just want credit where it is due.

Defensively, we are I think 43 points less than this time last year, that is a lot of improvement. Now maybe that is due to quality of comparative sides, I don't know but again, to me that is a big difference. We have also scored more than last year, again improvement. Could a better coach be getting more out of this side? If it were a Bellamy, Robinson or even Arthur, probably but none of them are available.

I think this week will really tell us a lot. If we get hammered by the Sharks, yep back on the come on Kevvie train but if we put up a good showing, even going down in a tough fight, I think Kevvie should get the credit he deserves.

I think like you have mentioned, we do put on good plays from time to time. Where i dont see it is in defence. We cant defend mistakes and we dont handle pressure. For me, getting that right should have been the priority for Kevvie from the day he started here. You have to get your defence right.

I think it is difficult to argue a lot of what we are doing is of the back of Reynolds. If he wasnt there last week, i dont see anyone else in the club lifting like he did last week. I dont want to be that club like the Cowboys where we become so reliant on one player like that.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Muros
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.