THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is absolutely right. We really don't seem to have consistency in player development. Individuals come out of the system as good players but we seem to never have a backlog of props, halves, backrowers, backs etc. Do you think it's to do with the mantra that apparently they don't recruit to pathways program on particular positions, just the ability of the player?
Fake fan. 👆

How dare you criticise some aspect of the Broncos?

what most people forget is the QRL and the individual teams were dead against the Broncos having their own local team. The argument was that the local teams could not compete against the Broncos, and any "top" players would choose the Broncos because of the "easier" ride into the Broncos System.

This was well known a number of years ago, and I am sure some of the older (wiser) members of this forum would know this.

It would be interesting now to see if they could get this bias changed, as one team, one system would be better for our team and structure long term.

DP

QRL are against it. Cowboys did it last year with the Blackhawks and went back to two feeders this year after it failed again- didn't make finals and sacked Paye before the season ended. Gone back to two feeders this year and Pride just won the minor premiership and Cutters won the BMD premiership.

Titans were going to do it this year but went with Jets and Tweed.

Broncos haven't wanted to do it since the Aspley failure.

what most people forget is the QRL and the individual teams were dead against the Broncos having their own local team. The argument was that the local teams could not compete against the Broncos, and any "top" players would choose the Broncos because of the "easier" ride into the Broncos System.

This was well known a number of years ago, and I am sure some of the older (wiser) members of this forum would know this.

It would be interesting now to see if they could get this bias changed, as one team, one system would be better for our team and structure long term.

DP

Once upon a time the Broncos had a colts side that played in the Sunshine Coast A grade competition . They had a lot of big wins

Redcliffe have to divide their players between Capras and Redcliffe.

Admittedly I'm guessing here ... But my assumption would be that the very best fringe player play for Redcliffe, while a few of the dregs play for the Capras

Admittedly I'm guessing here ... But my assumption would be that the very best fringe player play for Redcliffe, while a few of the dregs play for the Capras

Capras have had Milford, Lee, Atiken and Wallace.
Norths have had Averillo, Katoa, Teague, Niu, Keeley.
Redcliffe have had Te Whare, Graham, Tawha, Fuller, O'Sullivan, Wallace.

Fuller and Te Whare played Cup before the Dolphins were NRL.

I don't think anyone really has a massive advantage out of any of that. Maybe Norths.

I was talking more about presence in junior footy and that pathway from U6's to first grade that Wolfie talks about with the Dolphins.

I dont have too much of an issue with the multiple affiliates approach, but to me it looks very transactional and it looks like Broncos aren't bothered about chopping and changing them... which I think reinforces that separation between the Broncos and lower leagues across SEQld.

I'd be interested to know what Burleigh have been getting out of their affiliation with the Broncos.

Barely any Broncos play for them week to week, so what exactly do Burleigh and Burleigh fans get from being affiliated to the Broncos.

To me it looked like a massive opportunity for the Broncos... there's so many strong league schools in GC and we now have Burleigh sitting there because titans dropped the ball to an extent... and Burleigh are already a top club in Qcup.

If you get the Coates, Walsh, Mozer, etc. flocking towards Burleigh because of affiliation to Broncos then that's a pathway sitting in a massive league nursery. If they're starting at Burleigh then you dont need to find them and entice them at rep carnivals because they're already at one of your clubs.

That's potentially not how it's always going to work with so many going to PCB, Keebra Park, etc. but we're not affiliated to them either... and they'll have a junior club that they play for before or outside of the schools (Meninga Cup, etc.).

When Canberra were affiliated with Souths Logan it was hugely beneficial to them... there was a time there where Canberra had a pretty decent QLD presence purely due to that relationship with Logan... Papalii, Lee brothers, Milford, Leroyd-Lahrs??, etc.

We managed to get that one back, but it looks like we just chuck our top 30 there as ring-ins and potentially aren't helping with nurturing of talent in another massive catchment... which I think CS9 came through (Marsden wasnt it??).

These are the things that I think Wolfie is talking about... a clear presence in the junior grades where mums, dads and kids know that club is a Broncos club and it creates a connection with the club.

It may never create a new Lockyer, but it's a good chance of creating a bunch of Kobes, Jensens, Casey Maguires, Gillettes, Reeds, Opacics, etc. that provide solid Top 30 depth, flesh out top 17's and end up staying with the club because that's who they wanted to play for since U6's... and we've got 3 different affiliates that we could be nurturing that relationship with across a good geographic spread for potential Broncos recruits.

Bears have done very well, Innes, Black, Bryce, Coates, Tonihi, Karapani, Baker, Taupau and got Rogers and Willison back.

Bears first Meninga Grand Final and in Cup finals- which they probably do anyway.

Fact is nearly every Broncos comes from the Gold Coast, so to have the Bears makes sense for the Broncos.

Bears have done very well, Innes, Black, Bryce, Coates, Tonihi, Karapani, Baker, Taupau and got Rogers and Willison back.

Bears first Meninga Grand Final and in Cup finals- which they probably do anyway.

Fact is nearly every Broncos comes from the Gold Coast, so to have the Bears makes sense for the Broncos.

Does Brisbane/Ipswich not produce Rugby League talent or do the Broncos just not bother signing any players from those areas? Is the darling downs no producing talent these days either?

Does Brisbane/Ipswich not produce Rugby League talent or do the Broncos just not bother signing any players from those areas? Is the darling downs no producing talent these days either?

I think they believe Gold Coast is the most fertile ground.

Bears- Arthars, Rogers, Willison.
Tweed- Walsh, Mozer, Piakura, Mariner.

Payne played Meninga on the coast.

Six/Seven depending on Payne on Saturday night, six from one area that's not Brisbane is pretty huge. Walters and Carrigan would be it for Brisbane.

Six/Seven depending on Payne on Saturday night, six from one area that's not Brisbane is pretty huge. Walters and Carrigan would be it for Brisbane.
That is pretty sad given that Brisbane should be a Rugby league Hearltand

That sounds so poor regarding players from Brisbane area. Does any one have a guesstimate at how many Brisbane juniors (ie played junior footy in a Brisbane comp) are playing in the nrl?

Whilst it’s roughly related can you explain to me the reasoning for getting rid of colts @1910? Because the unnecessary cost argument QRL dished out was piss poor. Absolutely baffling. I think they actually give a fair bit of ground to other codes by cutting the quality of development or even the opportunity to play rugby league in that sort of environment after the age of 19. It’s abhorrently poor that if we have players in our system not up to scratch in cup older than 19 or at the conclusion of the Meninga season they are playing BRL, the system is bad enough in comparison to NSWRL development opportunities already why give them more ground.

In brisbane the union set up for local footy is very strong in the senior grades of footy. Colts and Opens have a strong development system for each club where the quality of Union players is very strong. Union requires a lot more physical development before being chucked into the higher grades and then into the professional system so they find themselves in a position where the quality of Union in colts is very high as that’s the natural progression for EVERY and I mean EVERY player. I can see a lot of rejects going to Union for that opportunity to still go pro or play in a more professional environment than playing BRL or quitting.

I’ve been strongly of the opinion that the NYC or a national reserve grade must be in place. I think I’d lean towards the NYC simply because I think that’s a product that is more likely to generate money. Especially with a heightened interest in young players/guns. The quality of development in integral positions has dropped considerably since its scrapping. Obviously I’m reading just now that they are looking at bringing back the NYC and my thought always was the general consensus was that the NYC was returning otherwise why else would you scrap development above the age of 19?

That is pretty sad given that Brisbane should be a Rugby league Hearltand
You do realise every single club has scouts up here these days combing all the local comps for players. And given the fact that the gold coast has a heavy Maori influence, its no surprise a lot of the talent is coming from down that way. Its just the Titans are to dumb to realise this and capture all that talent.

You do realise every single club has scouts up here these days combing all the local comps for players. And given the fact that the gold coast has a heavy Maori influence, its no surprise a lot of the talent is coming from down that way. Its just the Titans are to dumb to realise this and capture all that talent.
Yeah but why is Brisbane not producing as much talent s the Gold Coast. Why would we not be trying to secure Brisbane talent? Why is it ok if other clubs keep recruiting players from Brisbane? Hold the club to account FFS.

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.