10 R. Cotter 0 0 0 0 0 0 37 4 2 16 0 0 0m 102m 1 0
11 C. Hess 0 0 0 0 0 1 21 1 1 6 0 0 0m 26m 0 1
12 J. Nanai 2 8 0 1 2 0 26 6 2 6 0 0 0m 25m 0 0
13 J. Taumalolo 0 0 0 0 4 0 19 3 2 15 0 0 0m 171m 1 0
14 J. Granville 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 0 0 8 1 0 0m 33m 0 0
15 G. Neame 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 4 0 11 0 0 0m 77m 0 0
16 J. Taunoa-Brown 0 0 0 0 0 0 16 1 0 5 0 0 0m 40m 0 0
17 J. Tamou 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

Thanks, mate. Saved me a long post. Staggs is doing his job helping protect Reynolds in defense. I'm glad you pointed out the Fox/media talking points. It's pretty easy to get swayed by some of that bla bla. When the ball goes left all the time, what do people expect him to do? He's the angel on Reynolds' shoulder in defense right now. He and Riki are definitely working hard to protect our vital 7.
👏🏻 I keep saying, if he turns out to be Tunza with pace, none of us would complain.

1st Half Rewatching now:

It was Townsend and Drinkwater who copped Ezra high around 12min. They need to work on their technique.

Staggs flattened Holmes early, but was clearly worried about Reynolds as he was often a target for Holmes and Hess. Criticisms about Staggs' attacking failures would be equally levelled at Riki, and the ball is not really getting to them in prime circumstance. Any runs down their side aimed at Reynolds has Staggs/Riki either first contact or a close second. Working it out, I think Billy can't pass left to right very well and often ignores Staggs. Paix got it to him.

Cotter's "strip" was poor ball control and Billy is a master of attacking the ball in a tackle. The ball carrier needs to have some responsibility there.

If the 9 commentary wasn't bad enough there was a gaggle of sheilas gabbling in the background a lot of the time. Also, they still suck at saying Marty Taupau. It's possibly worse now than it was. Just listen to him say it himself and replicate it, don't emphasise it and then make some patronising comparison about western names being misspelled or whatever. 🤦‍♂️

The second short drop-out was a question of millimetres, could have gone past the plane.

I'm also sad to be losing Flegler and Herbie. They both had some great touches. Herbie I'll miss most of all.

Reynolds probably should have worked at repeat sets a bit earlier, but we were 8 points down for quite a while.

Hiku's crusher was pretty scary to watch. Poor GOates.

Herbie's disallowed try was a fine thing. I'm not sure Reece actually had the ball in his hands until he was the other side of Oates. He is so fast and slick. Was a hard call to make regardless, a matter of 1 frame. Plays like this are what the NRL should be about. It's deception and tactics and training.

I'm looking forward to this season with Walsh. I like this little pest. He was stirring Hiku from the get go. He hits the ball so hard and fast and isn't afraid to go hard into the line. He got absolutely clobbered by Feldt on the Ezra try.

Why so much Cotton-Eye Joe??

By your logic we are expecting a similar suspension for SOS. Late, highish and absolutely no attempt at providing arms. If it isn’t solely about the outcome of the tackle then he has dished up a tackle of similar types with substantially greater force. You lot are putting plenty of mayo in drinkwaters tackle cause of the result it was not a high grade tackle on any fucken planet. Changed directions and he copped him high I would even back the cows to be able to prove he had enough motion in his left arm to demonstrate a genuine attempt at trying to wrap. Unfortunate tackle gone wrong in a change of movement that is being judged like it is horrendous it is absolutely not a horrendous tackle and far worse have gone unpunished let alone a 3-4 week suspension for a first time offence.

As for Flegs and TPJ the chances they have low force contact to start with is zilch and secondly they have a history with these tackles a 3-4 week suspension for that with a history would be very fair regardless of the result of a broken jaw but that is not a 3-4 week tackle if Corey Oates didn’t break his jaw you know it and I know it whether you will admit it is another thing. If you want to think it is rightfully a 3-4 week tackle because he broke his jaw that is another issue and very acceptable opinion (something I hope the nrl don’t plan on doing) but that tackle on its own with no history is not a 3-4 week tackle and you know it. It can’t be. That’s about as little force a tackle of that nature could have. That’s a fine and some carry over points on merit and without the injury he probably wouldn’t even be facing that so it is 100% correct so I think without a doubt Drinkwater is very unlucky cause the chances that sort of tackle breaks his jaw is nearly impossible without the change of angle and speed Corey runs at. So if without the broken jaw he doesn’t get suspended or anywhere near close to that 3-4 week suspension explain to me how Scott Drinkwater isn’t unlucky cause that is not a 3-4 week shoulder charge and the high contact is not of a suspendabke nature so where is the 3-4 weeks coming from exactly other than the outcome having a significant impact over the way people are viewing that tackle.
Fitzy, not sure how much footy you've played but the classic shoulder charge is all about bracing and using the force of the other player.
Trying to sell this nonsense about Corey bringing the force and DW just standing there getting in the way is BS.
He's lucky to cop 3 weeks

Fitzy, not sure how much footy you've played but the classic shoulder charge is all about bracing and using the force of the other player.
Trying to sell this nonsense about Corey bringing the force and DW just standing there getting in the way is BS.
He's lucky to cop 3 weeks
⬆️ exactly. Should have been sent for deliberate foul play, have a look again, he steps back left to shoulder him. He wasn’t “bracing for impact” or any of the other nonsense some apologists are saying.
3 weeks (which he will plead) is a fkn joke. Ignore the fact that our best winger is now out for 8 weeks 🙄.
It was foul play and illegal. End of Story.

2nd Half:

Jeez that hit on Walsh from Hiku was a NAS special. I'm glad it's not 1979.

Poor GOates. Drinkwater should be punished more. He made a huge mistake in defense and HAD to go low. The shoulder to the head is inexcusable and it's not about intent, it's about teaching players correct decisions in-game. Oates being big is MORE reason he shouldn't have copped a hit to his head. Townsend seems to often go high and also needs correction too. Not sure about 8-pt try. Oates was not diving into the try, so a lot could have happened. Send off would have been better than 10. Intent is meaningless in the discussion of shoulder charge.

Staggs seemed pretty low key with his try when the boys arrived. Seems to be really focusing on being a professional footballer...or he's unhappy. Hope the first.
Reece cramping on Riki's shoulders 😂

Marty is a great buy! Nuff said.
Arthars is such a value keep.

Reynolds getting clobbered late and in the air while kicking is total crap. He was right to be peeved and quiz the ref. He's using the Cam Smith method of ref management. Love it.

All this knock-on, knock-back measurement garbage, c'mon. Hiku dropped it with no attempt to direct it backwards..TWICE, apparently a knock back. The Raiders game was a clear knock back and they called it a knock on, and yeah it hit a Dolphin, but it's the same as a pass. Inconsistent again and a call that cost Canberra again.

Walsh has killer instincts and seems to just know his footy. He's happy to get a whack from Feldt again to put his winger away. Slater-esque for sure. Oh, hmm that was Ezra's second. Pretty similar try actually.

Capewell seems to be the link man at the moment and Brisbane seems to want to use the centres rather than the 2nd Rowers. It will be good when they start giving those light passes to line-runs off Capes and Riki. If that is tactical, then it's pretty impressive to be showing only the sweep plays to future opposition. I'm thinking it might just be circumstance so far.

Staggs definitely could have been sent for 10 for his tackle on the Holmes tap. >1m before the 40m to >1m before the 30m...so close and hard to ref.

It was so good to see the Cowboys getting shitty with the ref and being told to shut up or get pinged.

We seem to be pretty good in the ruck and th e 6-agains are given on our terms. It definitely looks like we are being reffed differently. There were a few times where I expected a repeat set that didn't come. Cobbo was pretty bad and Pat and Capes both lie on guys quite a while.

Drinkwater giving Riki one in the throat. Would like to see that enlarged. Maybe not the cleanskin they're making him out to be.

Reynolds didn't even have a good game tonight. How good does that make you feel?

We worked hard to the very end of this game. We didn't stop trying to put points on. We defended hard for every minute. These are all good signs. We were messy at the start, but the Cows were throwing a lot of punches.

Great game and far better than Phins-Raiders to watch.

But he isn’t the sole reason for the break. Yes his tackle was high but Corey brings the force. 3-4 is an atrociously long time for a tackle with no force for someone with no record. I get that the fact that he broke his jaw might be to hard to not influence the MRC’s decision but it’s not a suspension worthy tackle it’s a suspension worthy outcome and when that happens we as a game find ourselves in a real pickle.

Someone with no record should not be getting a 3-4 week suspension for that, like come off it. Whilst obviously the high tackle caused it Corey brought all the force that caused the break of the jaw, not Scott. No victim card changes that and as such under no circumstances does a low force contact with the chin/jaw region warrant a 3/4 week suspension. It’s the simple reality that needs to be swallowed. 1 or 2 is the fairest amount and even than that is taking into account the injury into the punishment which I honestly don’t want to be the case in this game for accidental non malicious tackles that awkwardly go wrong.

Week after week, play after play you lot play victim to every motherfucking thing that happens that your biases don’t approve of. Just shut the **** up. You lot only a matter of a few months ago chose your hill to die on about Pat for weeks. You demanded that injury shouldn’t be taken into account and quite frankly that tackle was disgusting he deserved 5 weeks for that. So when another player injures ours we don’t get to take the moral high ground. Not to mention Taupau got out of a very dangerous tackle himself scot-free and you all laugh like it’s our god given right. The hide and hypocrisy you lot have to carry on like pork chops about that tackle is ridiculous especially the argument you lot are all using epitomises hypocrisy.

We want this to be the path the nrl take? Patty would still be sitting on the sideline and deservedly so his tackle was awful and he is only getting one more week than Drinkwater. I can’t fathom that at all. My take here isn’t to be popular but to wake your short minded biased asses up. Pat caused an injury that caused threat to a career and Drinkwater unluckily caused a broken jaw that has sidelined Corey for half the time and we are distinguishing them as a game on the sidelines difference. The outcome sucks but there isn’t 3-4 weeks, a likely hefty fine, a substantially poor outcome to his future judicial record and a 10 in the bin that inevitably made the game unwinnable for the cows. I’m not that biased to think that is justifiable and even some of you want it to be more. 1-2 is plenty for a non-malicious low force tackle with 0 history. And even then the entire driver of a suspension in general is the injury. It’s contact sport it’s time we suck it up and learn that SHIT FUCKEN HAPPENS. We are about as fickle as our side on here when it comes to shit not going our way and the way we carry ourselves afterwards.

Contact sport, contact outcomes.

Big fucken PLAY ON! In my books

You're off your shit. Corey is to blame because he was moving at speed?

The whole point isn't to have players spend half a season on the sideline, it's so players are so shit-scared of that possibility that they don't go anywhere NEAR the head. Players should be able to go hard with the ball without having to worry about getting hit high.

You're off your shit. Corey is to blame because he was moving at speed?

The whole point isn't to have players spend half a season on the sideline, it's so players are so shit-scared of that possibility that they don't go anywhere NEAR the head. Players should be able to go hard with the ball without having to worry about getting hit high.
And to message to clubs as well that they're putting the club at risk financially and in points in letting that technique slide. Gotta train your players better. It should be harsher and clearer IMO. The game has changed.

I just can't help but be so excited by the potential of Ezra, he could be absolutely anything in 2 to 3 years time.
My one criticism of ezra is the same as it was in qcup. He is a great runner of the ball but has limited ability to identify opportunities for his team mates.

Feldt was jamming in on herbie all night. On several occasions if he threw a cut out pass, Oates or arthars would have been out in the open.

There was also the time where walsh picked up a loose ball and shovelled it up to mam who ran down field. Arthars was approaching in support but instead of slowing up and positioning arthars to get away, he tried to break the tackle (but didnt).

I know he is young and has time to learn, but when he does improve, he could be very dangerous.

Gotta love rugby league media.

Last week we got about 1% air time, 99% of it post match was about how Penrith fix their "problems". Hardly any mention of how we beat the back to back premiers at a place they have lost about 2 of the last 40 or something, after they got their pants pulled down by St Helens so were ready for us.

This week, I listened to a team talk about us for 2 minutes. David riccio starts talking and then it's "they gotta keep things in check off the field though, they always have drama, they have a top 4 team but there's always drama. Payne haas etc"...

Wtf hahahahaha controversy sells aye. But what the hell is that? We sorted our major deals out already, alot more then most clubs. Haas isn't off contract till end of next year. These guys are kidding themselves. Despite losing herbie and flegler, I really, really like how the club has handled the contracts. Everyone knows the score, we get a fully committed herbie and flegler for the year while they slowly realise this will be the last chance for years to make a true run at a top 4 spot. The club may or may not have controversy or implode again but this fabricated baseless shit annoys me, just literal dribble lazy journalism.

If you guys watch the highlights of that game it's interesting to see how badly Walsh is able to Bamboozle the opposite defenders, Feldt especially when he came down the edge, he has that razor sharp ability to make it impossible for the defender to know if he will run at them or do the pass and is able to get the pass out the instant the last defender commits to him which does all the damage.

The strength behind it all is he also seems to know where our players are and he should be at times.

Staggs makes tons of kick chase tackles. He may have been offside or backing up Ezra.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Reynolds down without dodgy shots on kicks.

Reynolds could stand a cpl of metres deeper and avoid a lot of contact . Watch Cleary . It`s hard to get to him because he stands deeper and gets better service from the dummy half . Is it because Reyolds can`t kick as far ?

If you guys watch the highlights of that game it's interesting to see how badly Walsh is able to Bamboozle the opposite defenders, Feldt especially when he came down the edge, he has that razor sharp ability to make it impossible for the defender to know if he will run at them or do the pass and is able to get the pass out the instant the last defender commits to him which does all the damage.

The strength behind it all is he also seems to know where our players are and he should be at times.
His footwork, agility and acceleration off the mark instantly gets him on the outside shoulder of the defenders and forces the next defenders to make a decision... He can then pick what to do based on what decision the defence makes.

He kept getting outside Hiku and then making a bee line to Feldt. That's old school halves play and dare I say it could be coming from Kevvie coaching... get on the outside shoulder of a defender and then run at the man you want to commit, once they do make the decision from there.

At the warriors he was doing a lot of fitting into backline sweeping plays, but those plays are more about decoys creating overlaps and committing defenders, but it all becomes a bit too condensed for the 6 or 1 to run and if it's spotted the defence can rush up on the 1 before he can do anything. There's no doubt we can still do that when needed, but even since the trials Walsh has made a concerted effort to run and take on defenders, and is finding his way outside the inside defenders.

He has the pace to beat defenders on the outside shoulder so he will always be a threat to dummy and run himself... coaching has been keeping the decoy runners out of his way to keep all options open to him (run, kick or pass)

First trial he gets outside a man on last and puts Quai-Ward away down the touchline... his try in the trial is getting outside the man and then running himself to the try line.. about 3-4 times on Friday he gets outside the man and commits the winger to then put our winger away.

Cotter's "strip" was poor ball control and Billy is a master of attacking the ball in a tackle. The ball carrier needs to have some responsibility there.
Even on the first hitup of the game... Lolo ends up with ball up on his shoulder and loses it on the way to ground... that's a loose carry and is not a strip.

No way is Haas looking to strip the ball on the first tackle of the game either... that sort of play isn't even in his repertoire... he just looks to make his tackle and wrap up the ball. He doesn't think about tactical penalties or any of the other dark arts in football... he's basically a cleanskin when he's on the field... but nope can't have the cows dropping it on their very first tackle.

His footwork, agility and acceleration off the mark instantly gets him on the outside shoulder of the defenders and forces the next defenders to make a decision... He can then pick what to do based on what decision the defence makes.

He kept getting outside Hiku and then making a bee line to Feldt. That's old school halves play and dare I say it could be coming from Kevvie coaching... get on the outside shoulder of a defender and then run at the man you want to commit, once they do make the decision from there.

At the warriors he was doing a lot of fitting into backline sweeping plays, but those plays are more about decoys creating overlaps and committing defenders, but it all becomes a bit too condensed for the 6 or 1 to run and if it's spotted the defence can rush up on the 1 before he can do anything. There's no doubt we can still do that when needed, but even since the trials Walsh has made a concerted effort to run and take on defenders, and is finding his way outside the inside defenders.

He has the pace to beat defenders on the outside shoulder so he will always be a threat to dummy and run himself... coaching has been keeping the decoy runners out of his way to keep all options open to him (run, kick or pass)

First trial he gets outside a man on last and puts Quai-Ward away down the touchline... his try in the trial is getting outside the man and then running himself to the try line.. about 3-4 times on Friday he gets outside the man and commits the winger to then put our winger away.
It's scary how fast he is and easy to forget, he definitely looks to have put a bit of size on in the off season as well so he has the body now to push his way through if need be rather then being a light weight ragdoll.

Watching the game again and the fox commentary to Hiku's crusher is disgraceful... it's one of the worst crusher tackles over the last 3-4 years and they barely even acknowledged that it was anything.

If it was a bronco they'd be all over it and talking about them being luck to still be on the field, going to have a case to answer for in the MRC.

Fucking joke how bias they are against the broncos

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • broncs30
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • heartly87
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • The True King
  • azza.79
  • lynx000
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.