10 J. Arrow 0 0 0 0 0 0 25 1 0 14 0 0 0m 116m 0 0
11 M. Chee Kam 0 0 0 0 0 0 29 1 2 9 0 0 0m 85m 0 0
12 J. Host 0 0 0 0 1 0 23 1 0 9 0 0 0m 60m 0 1
13 C. Murray 0 0 0 0 2 1 37 2 0 24 0 1 15m 92m 3 1
8 T. Tatola 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 4 1 24 0 0 0m 186m 1 0
14 J. Cartwright 0 0 0 0 2 0 11 2 0 8 0 0 0m 51m 2 0
15 D. Moale 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 1 4 0 0 0m 33m 0 0
17 T. Burgess 0 0 0 0 5 0 16 4 0 19 0 0 0m 189m 1 0

A mixed game from Staggs, too. He won't be the Origin centre game one. We can bank that.

He could have a string of career best games, he still won't be.

Turbo and Latrell are miles clear.

High chance he's a 'Phins fan and wants to pretend like Herbie is the second coming of Greg Inglis.
I guess I was more shocked at the lad saying herbie has been bad since he signed with the dolphins. He's literally top 4 in metres and top 3 in post contact in the nrl. He's a beast and often one of the best on ground. Tonight was no different. Ran for almost 200 meters in a losing side. Sin bin was stupid but compared to staggs and madden he was a God out there.

Obviously, it was a poor loss and rightfully the Broncos credentials as a Top 4 team are being questioned, but I don't think it's all doom and gloom either. The Broncos created several opportunities and just about every time they came up with the worst option. We know these players are capable but for whatever reason on the night they just rolled the dice constantly and got it wrong.

No doubt that captain's challenge right on half-time really changed things. It was a great challenge and Souths to their credit got to exploit a dumb rule to their own benefit. No way did they deserve a complete set of six, but that's just the way the game is. 12-6, then Walker puts in a good kick into no-man's land which nobody wanted to take, Herbie never really sets himself right, gets knocked over mid-air 'competing for the ball' and suddenly all the momentum is with Souths. Once Herbie departed for the trip it was game over.

I don't really read a whole lot into the last 30 minutes. Brisbane were still trying to win the game and fell into the trap of thinking they had to score off every play. Obviously they just needed to get through their sets and belt Souths in defence but old habits die hard.

I do wonder if there was a pavlovian effect going on? They had the right approach in the first half, only for Klein to conjure up these soft penlaties that only seemed to be going one way. Once again, the Broncos fell victim to the opposition getting under their skin and I lost count of the number of second efforts that were being let go. Not that the referees decided the game, but maybe the Broncos would have rolled their sleeves up if they weren't being penalised for it.

I think even with our full strength side tonight we may have seen a similar result. It just seemed destined to be one of those nights where everything they touched turned to gold and everything we touched turned to shit. It happens to all teams.

I don't think there are ever losses you need to have but there are lessons that need to he learnt. And for a while now we've needed to learn patience and to respect the ball. I think tonight we'll take that lesson away.

It was really frusterating becuase we put ourselves in opportunities to score points but our execution was poor. In weeks gone by we convert most of those opportunities but as i mentioned it was just one of those nights.

Elaborate please?

Patty’s out put was low by Haas standards but he more errors and missed tackles than Payne has had all season combined
Pat is more like our version of Cam Murray. Link man, organising the middle. He also finds the ground faster than Payne often and gets our roll-on working better. Where Haas often tries to push for 3 meters and gifting a set defence. Patty often is able to get down quickly and keep us moving. They just do things differently. Both are very important.

The discussions in here after a loss, I can't even explain how carried away people get. We lost, it sucks, I get that.

It doesn't mean our players are shit and our coach can't coach, it's one game.

I feel like some people are hoping we lose so they can get their opportunity to go to town on that bloke in the team that they don't like (whoever it may be, it's different from person to person). I think some of the criticism on Jock Madden is a bit unfair as well, he wasn't great but fair dinkum.. it's his first game for the club.

I don't really read a whole lot into the last 30 minutes. Brisbane were still trying to win the game and fell into the trap of thinking they had to score off every play. Obviously they just needed to get through their sets and belt Souths in defence but old habits die hard.
Looked to me like they put the cue back in the rack somewhat after Herbie went off. They looked beaten.

Pat is more like our version of Cam Murray. Link man, organising the middle. He also finds the ground faster than Payne often and gets our roll-on working better. Where Haas often tries to push for 3 meters and gifting a set defence. Patty often is able to get down quickly and keep us moving. They just do things differently. Both are very important.

As i said earlier, the thing for me is we are managing Payne's time on the field better than Pats. They play pretty similar minutes, but Payne is getting taken off a lot earlier, given time to freshen up and then having great impact in his second stint. Carrigan seems to play 55-60 mins then come back on for the last 5 or 10. After the long year he had in 2022 i think we should be using Pat in a similar manner to Payne. You cant flog these blokes into the ground.

Judging on what I saw in the first 20 minutes or so, we deserved that.

Walsh’s idiotic and probably forward anyway pass straight to the opposition shows me they haven’t learned anything yet
Worse thing is after watching that press conference is Kevvie seems to acknowledge these problems but doesn’t seem to care. Maybe he is not one to air dirty laundry in public (aka the kids won’t change) or maybe he just doesn’t know how to fix the problem, but it’s there as clear as day and has been all season.

The kids are drinking the kool-aid and thinking they can win off ridiculous miracle passes.

Kevvie should rip them new ones over this because it is killing us in games and when we play good teams, individual brilliance won’t be enough to haul us back into the contest.

We need to get back to defending as we did at the start of the year and then work into games through building pressure. THEN the miracle stuff can be attempted perhaps.

But good luck conveying that to these imbeciles. Kevvie probably should have hooked Staggs tonight to send a message about this rubbish, the game was gone anyway.

But no.

Unfortunately Kevvie is about as light on his feet as Butterbean.

Paynes always been a much better athlete. He's a freak physically but i'm still not convinced the gap is huge between them. I think the difference this year is we arent playing Payne the long stints he has been in the past. He's a lot fresher and its helped his game no end. Pats still generally still playing 50 or 60 mins straight and i cant fathom out why Kevvie is persisting with it. Tonight was ridiculous. He was clutching at his ankle early in the second half and you could see him feeling it a few times. It was clear half way though that second half we were losing the game and he still played him 80 mins.

I've been saying it for years with Payne and Pat, just because they can play big minutes doesnt mean they should. We will get more from both by using them less.
Yeah I think we misused Hetherington too. We were desperate for a spark and he wasn’t injected until the game was all but out of reach

Yeah I think we misused Hetherington too. We were desperate for a spark and he wasn’t injected until the game was all but out of reach

I'd be starting him and moving Pat to prop. I've said from day one with him, he's a prop who can play lock. We have a lock now so play the bloke as a prop. He's a miles better player imo in that role.

The discussions in here after a loss, I can't even explain how carried away people get. We lost, it sucks, I get that.

It doesn't mean our players are shit and our coach can't coach, it's one game.

I feel like some people are hoping we lose so they can get their opportunity to go to town on that bloke in the team that they don't like (whoever it may be, it's different from person to person). I think some of the criticism on Jock Madden is a bit unfair as well, he wasn't great but fair dinkum.. it's his first game for the club.
It’s because the problems have been there all year and aren’t changing. Individual brilliance has hauled us out of a few games we’d have otherwise lost.

But when those miracle passes don‘t stick (which they often don’t) we lack resilience as we showed tonight.

We are looking like one trick ponies at the moment. All offence based on miracle plays.

When it doesn’t work, we look shocking. As we did most of tonight. When it does, it can win us a few games.

But it won’t win us big games and that is what we’re all worried about.

They need to get a big sign to hang in the sheds that reads “You can’t win without the ball, stupid!”

We had our chances to establish a good lead in the first half and blew it, repeatedly. They don’t want to get into a grind and wear teams down and score off sustained pressure. They want to throw the ball around and go for low percentage plays on early tackles and when it doesn’t come off they are suddenly defending their own line again.

Some of the tries were soft and just bringing Mam & Haas back will tighten it up. However, it’s all well and good to say ‘oh, well they scored from kicks & lucky bounces’, but they don’t get those opportunities if up the other end we aren’t putting a low percentage kick in on the first tackle. Reynolds knows better than anyone that’s not how you win games, yet even he has fallen in this trap of playing touch footy. We played smarter last year!

I actually thought they turned the corner last week when, after expecting the worst after the display against the titans, they put in a patient, measured, almost perfect half against the eels, and then it’s back to touch footy again this week. I don’t know if the plan just went out the window because they were missing Haas & Mam and had resigned themselves to losing or what, but they need to learn to stick to the plan, make it second nature, because the better sides will make you pay for gifting them easy possession.

I really believe if they play smarter they will beat anyone, but I just don’t know what it will take for the penny to drop.

It’s because the problems have been there all year and aren’t changing. Individual brilliance has hauled us out of a few games we’d have otherwise lost.

But when those miracle passes don‘t stick (which they often don’t) we lack resilience as we showed tonight.

We are looking like one trick ponies at the moment. All offence based on miracle plays.

When it doesn’t work, we look shocking. As we did most of tonight. When it does, it can win us a few games.

But it won’t win us big games and that is what we’re all worried about.

When we lose like we did its hard to keep your cool. Our outside backs were appalling i thought. Tbf we have been pretty resilient all year, but as i said earlier, when you get 5 or 6 players well off it you will always struggle in any game.

Can I also throw it out there, Herbie's ball hogging really came home to roost in the worst way tonight. He had Arthars on his outside in open space in the first half and of course he doesn't pass it until 1. He has no other choice in the matter and 2. it's already way too late for Arthars to do anything with it.

He's a textbook ball hog, and as good as he can be, it costs us way too much and will be the one thing I won't miss from him when he leaves.

Judging on what I saw in the first 20 minutes or so, we deserved that.

Walsh’s idiotic and probably forward anyway pass straight to the opposition shows me they haven’t learned anything yet
Especially after Staggs tried that kick pass bs to cobbo on tackle 2 or 3 after a line break you’d think they’d learn to hold the ball. Instead they try to out do each other.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.