Pre-Season

More players return on Monday for testing.

Rod starts Monday.

FORMER Kumuls international Rod Griffin may be 27, but the good oil suggest he has the talent to make a belated NRL debut for the Broncos in 2015.

Griffin, a tough forward with the Ipswich Jets in the Intrust Super Cup, is set to join Brisbane for pre-season training when he returns from his honeymoon.

While he has no Broncos contract, Jets chairman Steve Johnson insists Griffin has the qualities to realise his dream of playing in the NRL.
“This pre-season opportunity will be good for Rod mentally,” Johnson says.
“He was a Test player, but because of PNG’s funding and politics he and others weren’t selected for (last year’s) World Cup squad after he had worked hard to warrant selection.
“But then he had an absolutely outstanding year at our place when he got himself in outstanding condition to play the style of football that (coaches) Ben and Shane Walker wanted.
“There has never been any doubt that Rod has the ability to play NRL. It is just a question of opportunity.
“That has never arisen for him, but hopefully with Wayne Bennett having a good hard look at what he has to offer he will get that opportunity.
“The Broncos do have a strong back-row but at some stage during the year, particularly in the Origin period, he might get a look in.”
Griffin played prop for the Jets but Johnson says the back-row is the position the Broncos will be looking at him for.
“We play a very different style to any other football side in Australia, so while Rod wears 10 on his back he plays as an 11, 12 or 13,” Johnson says.
“Rod is strong and powerful.
“He can play 80 minutes of rugby league.
“He could be a very damaging back-rower at the NRL level because he runs very good lines and has learned to use his feet a lot more under Ben and Shane.
“Rod puts himself away from (opponents’) shoulders these days rather than trying to run over the top of people.
“He has a lot more to offer than when he was a young tearaway in the Cowboys system.”

Joel Gould.

I hope he gets a chance. In the NRL, I only see him as a lock personally, but I'm not sure he's the type of player WB wants...

Last edited:
I hope he gets a chance. In the NRL, I only see him as a lock personally, but I'm not sure he's the type of player WB wants...

I'd love to see it as well, be a great reward. He's become a smarter player this year and improved his skills.

I don't have any doubts that he could do a job for the Broncos. I think the club's ISC has been very good this year.

Hey 1910 , how did Garbutt go in the fitness side of things ? After his signing I watched him in the local league and thought he had great skills and fabulous movement, really hoping he gets a start if WB thinks he is up to it.

So glad to see Dodds still at the club. Just seems like a real nice fella that just can't catch a break from injuries. We already got rid of one other guy like that. And now I'm sad again.

So glad to see Dodds still at the club. Just seems like a real nice fella that just can't catch a break from injuries. We already got rid of one other guy like that. And now I'm sad again.

I was never a big fan of his, but he started to impress me at the back end of 2013, before he got the injury that put him out for all of 2014

Unfortunately yeah. Stray boot tag poked/sliced his eye. I agree [MENTION=1769]Foordy[/MENTION], he suffered a bit for game time under Griffin (who didn't) and then copped that injury at the wrong time. He was going well at Lock I think it was for a bit there until then

Parcell and Anderson- no days off regardless of results.

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • cento
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Browny
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.