Pre-season

vertigo

NRL Captain
So do we panic if we get pumped? I never really pay too much attention to trials but I really feel like we need to see a decent improvement... am I being impatient? Lol
Trials don't give premiership points. No one remembers trials.

You win by not having any serious injuries.

theshed

Return of the Mac

Sounds as though Kevin’s taking it seriously enough.
Very funny that this comes up today. I was just listening to the Teo interview McHunt McHunt posted. As I listened to Teo obsess over the team focusing on playing the eels in round 1 and how the team doesn’t even know who we play in round 2, and then get awkward when the presenters told him it was the Titans, my first thought was that it sounds like some more crazy Walters origin ‘don’t even mention NSW’ mumbo jumbo. With the same awkwardness that QLD players tried not mention nsw to the media, Teo was avoiding mentioning anything but the eels.

Well low and behold, the rugby league Rasputin has been lurking around the club.

Last edited:

McHunt

NRL Captain
Sunshine Coast
Very funny that this comes up today. I was just listening to the Teo interview McHunt McHunt posted. As I listened to Teo obsess over the team focusing on playing the eels in round 1 and how the team doesn’t even know who we play in round 2, and then get awkward when the presenters told him it was the Titans, my first thought was that it sounds like some more crazy Walters origin ‘don’t even mention NSW’ mumbo jumbo.

Well low and behold, the rugby league Rasputin has been lurking around the club.
Listening to Chris Garry's season preview on the Broncos Weekly podcast right now. Some interesting stuff. Kevvie's chucked out a bunch of Seibold's geeky stuff, troops are happier, treating fans better, Gordie spotted at training, Brendan Piakura, Reece Walsh, Jordan Riki etc:

Last edited:

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
a couple of quotes from Glenn that made me smile during his interview yesterday after being named captain

reporter: What is it about Kevvie and staff that make you believe things can improve this year
Glenn: well Kevvies a winner, everyone knows and he reminds everyone how many premierships he's won 😁

also Glenn: the best thing about Kevvie, bro, is that he knows the balance between fun and hard work

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Lol at the bro part in an interview but hopefully we'll see some good signs tonight. Getting pregame nerves even if it's a trial.

He is a kiwi ... saying bro to someone is like calling them Sir, lol

NRL Player
After the trials:
  • Isaako wing or gone. Concrete boots is the bain of this kid. Dropped balls & too slow defence positional play.
  • Somehow get Walsh up to speed and replace Isaako with him.
  • Carrigan back to 2nd row with Glenn.
  • Front row to ONLY consist of Lodge, Haas, TPJ and Fleg.
  • Back row to ONLY consist of Carrigan, Glenn, Teo, Asiata and Oates.
  • Teo to start at lock for now - Asiata needs two hard weeks of only cardio.
  • Carigan & Teo to left side defence, put Croft or Deardon inside them, either can play as a wide defence extra centre.
  • Kennar gone.
  • Croft to steer. Deardon somehow given a bowl of confidence before he plays next.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
good to get that first game out of the way. it was always going to take more than a pre-season with no games to get rid of the Seibold era muscle memory.

while it wasn't the result we wanted there was plenty to take away from tonight's performance in particular the first half.
  • Turpin was my MOM by a long way really impressive performance from him.
  • Nui was much improved on last week and looked good in the center performance.
  • Isaako, while he still has a bit to work on, looked like he was capable of holding down the fullback position until Walsh is ready (he's not yet). I would consider having him revert to the old behind the line defensive positioning when we are defending our line, rather than the more modern fullback defends in the line positioning made popular by Boyd.
  • Croft looked much better than last year, hopefully Kevvie has had a similar effect on Milford who has a much higher skillset starting point than Croft, although i think Croft may have the better work ethic.
  • our defence showed more starch and resilience than last year and we were actually able to defend multiple repeat sets against us; i'm not sure we defended a single oone last year.

some negatives as well
  • we let the second half get away from us
  • Kennar was disappointing, he is usually much more solid than that hopefully it is a once off.
  • our outside back depth.
  • Dearden looked to lack a bit of confidence

all in all, Kevvie and his coaching team have us moving in the right direction and has a good platform to build on. IMO, a spot in the 6th-10th place chasing pack is where we'll finish this year

p.s. I wonder if it was a coincidence that we fell apart defensively when Glenn, Riki and Turpin all left the field together at half time

Last edited:

Fitzy

QCup Player
After the trials:
  • Isaako wing or gone. Concrete boots is the bain of this kid. Dropped balls & too slow defence positional play.
  • Somehow get Walsh up to speed and replace Isaako with him.
  • Carrigan back to 2nd row with Glenn.
  • Front row to ONLY consist of Lodge, Haas, TPJ and Fleg.
  • Back row to ONLY consist of Carrigan, Glenn, Teo, Asiata and Oates.
  • Teo to start at lock for now - Asiata needs two hard weeks of only cardio.
  • Carigan & Teo to left side defence, put Croft or Deardon inside them, either can play as a wide defence extra centre.
  • Kennar gone.
  • Croft to steer. Deardon somehow given a bowl of confidence before he plays next.
You forgot the point about nobody take any notice of you the fact you think teo and Oates should be anywhere near that side is worrying

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesmerise

Twitter