Pre-season

If we're adding Mead, Gamble & Te'o to the top 30 and leaving Luke out - We're 29/30.

I can only assume Hetherington being added to the player profiles means he's been upgraded / confirmed as a top 30 player.
He wasn't added, just retained from last year when he was named in an extended squad.

He's reportedly on a development contract still.

put up a stand at the Leagues Club for our 2nd spoon because we are far worse than last year.
When you guys are making predictions of another spoon, are you assuming that we're going to have another horror year of injuries? It's all well and good to say our squad is weaker, but last year our best 17 could barely get on the field. Only five players managed to play more than 15 games and we went through 32 players. A heap of our starters couldn't even make half the season (TPJ 9, Fifita 9, Glenn 8, Lodge 6, Turpin 6, Bird 0).

Despite our player losses/gains, it's still likely that week to week we are going to be fielding a stronger 17 when compared to last year unless we have another cursed season injury wise.

He wasn't added, just retained from last year when he was named in an extended squad.

He's reportedly on a development contract still.

I really don't understand the point of those player profiles if they're not accurate.

Why do we only have some players from the top 30 and some from the development contracts? What's the point? To be confusing?

Broncos centre Herbie Farnworth will undergo minor surgery to remove a small amount of painful tissue from his chest.

The small area of tissue has been giving him discomfort in recent weeks and Club medical staff advised the best course was to have it removed by day surgery.

Farnworth will then return to training next week. He will miss the Alex Glenn Testimonial Game against the Cowboys on February 27, but will be available for selection for the Round 1 clash with the Eels.

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/02/16/injury-update-herbie-farnworth/

Broncos centre Herbie Farnworth will undergo minor surgery to remove a small amount of painful tissue from his chest.

The small area of tissue has been giving him discomfort in recent weeks and Club medical staff advised the best course was to have it removed by day surgery.

Farnworth will then return to training next week. He will miss the Alex Glenn Testimonial Game against the Cowboys on February 27, but will be available for selection for the Round 1 clash with the Eels.

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/02/16/injury-update-herbie-farnworth/
@Finbar yes

Calm down, medical staff - i know you haven’t seen it in many of the other players but it’s just a heart.

Calm down, medical staff - i know you haven’t seen it in many of the other players but it’s just a heart.

This is just brilliant! It also makes sense the medical staff want to cut it out, they would likely argue since they don't know what it does, they can remove it.

Team List: Pangai & Lodge Set For Seagulls​

broncos.com.au
Tue 16 Feb 2021, 05:00 PM

Big men Tevita Pangai Junior and Matt Lodge have been named to play in the Broncos’ opening trial game against Wynnum Manly Seagulls on Friday night at Kitchener Park.

Pangai and Lodge had limited game time in 2020 and with the first trial limited under NRL guidelines to players with 12 games or less last season, it is a great opportunity for both props to get valuable game time.

They will be joined by a host of other Broncos with NRL experience including Richie Kennar, Jesse Arthars, Tesi Niu, Tyson Gamble, Ethan Bullemor and Keenan Palasia.

A number of train-and-trial players who have been part of the Broncos’ preseason will also play, including former Cronulla and Gold Coast half Albert Kelly who has impressed since his return to training in recent weeks, as well as former Warriors and Titans forward Leivaha Pulu.

Coach Kevin Walters has rated this year’s trials as crucial to finalising his team for Round 1 against Parramatta on March 12 at Suncorp Stadium.

“Trials in recent years haven’t been so important but I feel this year with the limited trials that players have limited opportunity to be right for Round 1 when we take on Parramatta,” said Walters.

“Because of the season that the Broncos had last year, everyone is fighting for positions – plenty of competition in the group which is what we want.”

Tickets are selling fast for Friday night’s game and you can purchase your tickets here!

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/02/16/team-list-pangai--lodge-set-for-seagulls/

Team List: Pangai & Lodge Set For Seagulls​

broncos.com.au
Tue 16 Feb 2021, 05:00 PM

Big men Tevita Pangai Junior and Matt Lodge have been named to play in the Broncos’ opening trial game against Wynnum Manly Seagulls on Friday night at Kitchener Park.

Pangai and Lodge had limited game time in 2020 and with the first trial limited under NRL guidelines to players with 12 games or less last season, it is a great opportunity for both props to get valuable game time.

They will be joined by a host of other Broncos with NRL experience including Richie Kennar, Jesse Arthars, Tesi Niu, Tyson Gamble, Ethan Bullemor and Keenan Palasia.

A number of train-and-trial players who have been part of the Broncos’ preseason will also play, including former Cronulla and Gold Coast half Albert Kelly who has impressed since his return to training in recent weeks, as well as former Warriors and Titans forward Leivaha Pulu.

Coach Kevin Walters has rated this year’s trials as crucial to finalising his team for Round 1 against Parramatta on March 12 at Suncorp Stadium.

“Trials in recent years haven’t been so important but I feel this year with the limited trials that players have limited opportunity to be right for Round 1 when we take on Parramatta,” said Walters.

“Because of the season that the Broncos had last year, everyone is fighting for positions – plenty of competition in the group which is what we want.”

Tickets are selling fast for Friday night’s game and you can purchase your tickets here!

View attachment 11373

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/02/16/team-list-pangai--lodge-set-for-seagulls/
Really like what he's done with these selections considering we only have 2 trials. Teo and mead not being named tells me they may have a bigger role to play this year then many people think. Teo seems to be a leader and with a full NRL pre season under his belt he may shock a few, mead may just be solid-ish and a good leader, particularly with the edge defence....

With the actual squad picked I get the feeling ANYONE who performs in that backline mat just get a chance with 1 injury or a loss and drop of form from the 1st choices (except for niu who sounds picked already pending a shocker in the trials). This says more about or poor standard in the backline with a lot of 6/10 type players more then anything else.

I really want to see bullemoore kill it and I think he will, given the speed of the game and his footwork. Pulu is an interest ikng one, and palasia may be closer to a spot then many think given we have far more strength jn the middle then the edge.

The only thing I would change with this squad is I'd have paix starting if not injured. I know he has to suss our the depth outside of paix and turpin but if turpin gets injured he is now the starting 9 presumably and he needs time there, long minutes, in game situations. I can understand why he didn't but I would have went paix, unless Hetherington has really pushed a claim this pre season (?).

Walsh, cobbo, Willison and Kelly are the others I'll be interested to watch. Expect 1 or 2 surprises and 4 or 5 disappointments out of the game...

Hopefully Arthars has improved his defence and pushes his way into a centre spot

Really like what he's done with these selections considering we only have 2 trials. Teo and mead not being named tells me they may have a bigger role to play this year then many people think. Teo seems to be a leader and with a full NRL pre season under his belt he may shock a few, mead may just be solid-ish and a good leader, particularly with the edge defence....

Ben Te'o actually can't play in this trial. he played 16 games for us in 2020. this trial is only for players that played 12 games or less

Ben Te'o actually can't play in this trial. he played 16 games for us in 2020. this trial is only for players that played 12 games or less
I didn't realise he played that many games last year, thought he came back later...

Also, anyone know, is a piakura injured?

I'd have paix starting if not injured.
Paix made 13 appearances for us last year which rules him out I think. Some eligible players who haven't been listed are Dearden, Coates, Isaako, Glenn and Turpin. Luke and Riki are playing in the All-Stars match but were eligible as well.

EDIT: I forgot to count Coates' State of Origin appearances which probably rules him out.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.