Pre-Season

talks about (reporter's questions):

• Kobe injury (14 to 16 weeks)
  • Reece Walsh
  • Tesi
  • Defence (especially the back end of 2022)
  • halves (particularly Ezra)
  • expectations for 2023
  • coaching roles
  • battle for fullback (Walsh, Cobbo, Herbie)

talks about (reporter's questions):
  • Kobe injury (14 to 16 weeks)
  • Reece Walsh
  • Tesi
  • Defence (especially the back end of 2022)
  • halves (particularly Ezra)
  • expectations for 2023
  • coaching roles
  • battle for fullback (Walsh, Cobbo, Herbie)

Interesting to hear they’ve taken a step back from “anything short of finals is a failure” to “we just want to improve on last year - all things being equal we’re a young team”.

It also seems like the coaching roles are a bit ill defined:

“Matty’s looking after our attack this year”
“Lee Briers… has got some good ideas around defence and some good things more importantly in attack”
“Carty, we’ve simplified his role as welll [reporter: is Carty still defensive coach] No, he’s looking after our middle forwards defence and attack so technically he is”
“Alfy tips it off with his expertise around the place and we’ve got Darius as well”
“Myself and Darius are looking after the general team attack which has been good. It’s probably our biggest improvement area is our defence”

So based on what Kev has said here are what the guys linkedins look like this coming season:

Matt Ballen: attacking coach
Lee Briers: defensive coach but more importantly attacking coach
John Cartwright: middle forwards attack and defence coach, not defensive coach but technically defensive coach
Allen Langer: halves mentor
Darius Boyd: general team attack co-coach
Kev Walters: head coach, general attack co-coach, something indecipherable about defence
Brett OFarrell: wrestling coach or contact coach

Interesting to hear they’ve taken a step back from “anything short of finals is a failure” to “we just want to improve on last year - all things being equal we’re a young team”.

“Lee Briers… has got some good ideas around defence and some good things more importantly in attack”
“Carty, we’ve simplified his role as welll [reporter: is Carty still defensive coach] No, he’s looking after our middle forwards defence and attack so technically he is”
“Alfy tips it off with his expertise around the place and we’ve got Darius as well”
“Myself and Darius are looking after the general team attack which has been good. It’s probably our biggest improvement area is our defence”

So based on what Kev has said here are what the guys linkedins look like this coming season:

John Cartwright: middle forwards attack and defence coach, not defensive coach but technically defensive coach
Kev Walters: head coach, general attack co-coach, something indecipherable about defence
Kevvie as clear as always 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think you might be reading too much into it but it is hard to know with how incoherent Kevvie is at times. He did say I think that they are expecting to better than this year and if they do, you are pretty unlucky if you are missing finals with 14 or 15 wins.

I really think the extremely poor end to the season has overshadowed just how well this side this year.

Any other years, we make finals and of course had that happened we would have just been cannon fodder and I’m also strongly of the opinion this is a huge problem but credit where it’s due, there was a fair chunk of the year we were looking like contenders. If Kevvie can get that happening again next year for longer, we’ll make finals.

I think you might be reading too much into it but it is hard to know with how incoherent Kevvie is at times. He did say I think that they are expecting to better than this year and if they do, you are pretty unlucky if you are missing finals with 14 or 15 wins.

I really think the extremely poor end to the season has overshadowed just how well this side this year.

Any other years, we make finals and of course had that happened we would have just been cannon fodder and I’m also strongly of the opinion this is a huge problem but credit where it’s due, there was a fair chunk of the year we were looking like contenders. If Kevvie can get that happening again next year for longer, we’ll make finals.
it’d be a different situation if Kev bumbled through interviews but his team was well run. You’d give him the benefit of the doubt that he just isn’t good at speaking to the media (despite working in the media). But his team plays the way that he speaks - mostly lost, full of contradictions, tripping over themselves, and utterly confused.

Yeah we did alright for moments last year but many of the wins were poor performances- the “win” over Newcastle or the dogs were some of the worst games you’ll see, any other team would’ve flogged us. The titans game was terrible also if I’m to list games from the top of my head and the Rabbitohs win was nothing to crow about either. So no, I don’t think the worst capitulation in NRL history overshadowed a great season, I think some low quality wins and a coach who has friends in the media overshadowed another failed year.

Sucks to say but the guy is no genius - easily the least articulate coach I can remember listening to. Please prove me wrong there.

It’ll take more than playing finals next year to restore my faith in the guy. Our squad is good enough that I honestly believe almost any current coach could get them to the finals.

it’d be a different situation if Kev bumbled through interviews but his team was well run. You’d give him the benefit of the doubt that he just isn’t good at speaking to the media (despite working in the media). But his team plays the way that he speaks - mostly lost, full of contradictions, tripping over themselves, and utterly confused.

Yeah we did alright for moments last year but many of the wins were poor performances- the “win” over Newcastle or the dogs were some of the worst games you’ll see, any other team would’ve flogged us. The titans game was terrible also if I’m to list games from the top of my head and the Rabbitohs win was nothing to crow about either. So no, I don’t think the worst capitulation in NRL history overshadowed a great season, I think some low quality wins and a coach who has friends in the media overshadowed another failed year.

Sucks to say but the guy is no genius - easily the least articulate coach I can remember listening to. Please prove me wrong there.

It’ll take more than playing finals next year to restore my faith in the guy. Our squad is good enough that I honestly believe almost any current coach could get them to the finals.
Clearly they are giving him every chance to become a successful NRL coach - as they said they would.

I feel if we don’t hit the ground running early next year their patience will be tested. The balls well and truly in his court and I fear ‘23 will be make or break for Kevin Walters.

As it should be.

There was a news story (on news.com.au or some crap) about Ikin and Wayne having made up. Might Wayne attend our 93 premiership celebrations or still no chance?

If Kevvie can get that happening again next year for longer, we’ll make finals.
I don’t reckon making finals would alone appease us tragics & the board. This club has been through some shitty years & Premiership is the only thing that can take away the disappointment.
Anything short of it, don’t think will cut it. Next year after we make the finals, we can’t just fall off like flies like we did during the backend of this season. We must go all the way to D day in October & get the “biggie”.

It appears that the board has given Kev all the support he needs to be a successful coach & it’s up to him to get the results early on. Having all the support, perhaps Kev’s clear in what he, coaching department & the team must do but he’s just poor in articulating his vision to the press 🤷‍♂️.

It's gonna be hilarious if the whole Broncos vs Dolphins rivalry amounts to nothing and basically settles into a sort of nothingburger lull like it has with the Titans. The NRL would deserve it, you have to say.

Having all the support, perhaps Kev’s clear in what he, coaching department & the team must do but he’s just poor in articulating his vision to the press 🤷‍♂️.
If he can’t even articulate clearly what he and the team must do in response to softball questions from friendly media what chance does he have of articulating it to 30+ men of various intelligence, experience, age, and backgrounds.

I’ve barely understood a single discernible comment Kev has said for the last 2 years apart from botched cliches, I can’t imagine having to take direction from him.

Ikin and Wayne making up would sooner see Ikin jump ship to the Dolphins after being pass-agg’ed out of performing his role by Kev than Wayne stepping foot back in broncos HQ.

It's gonna be hilarious if the whole Broncos vs Dolphins rivalry amounts to nothing and basically settles into a sort of nothingburger lull like it has with the Titans. The NRL would deserve it, you have to say.

could it be similar to the Crushers ... the only time we have had a second Brisbane team.

I don’t reckon making finals would alone appease us tragics & the board. This club has been through some shitty years & Premiership is the only thing that can take away the disappointment.
Anything short of it, don’t think will cut it. Next year after we make the finals, we can’t just fall off like flies like we did during the backend of this season. We must go all the way to D day in October & get the “biggie”.

It appears that the board has given Kev all the support he needs to be a successful coach & it’s up to him to get the results early on. Having all the support, perhaps Kev’s clear in what he, coaching department & the team must do but he’s just poor in articulating his vision to the press 🤷‍♂️.
So, it's win the Grand Final or Kevvie is sacked?

Broncos could make the GF and lose, and KW is out?

Absolute bollocks

Settle down mate. I don’t think you’ve fully read through what’s said. Was there anything that said unless a premiership next season, Kev should be sacked?

Yes, it’s absolute bollocks that people just take the wrong interpretation & rant about it.

Settle down mate. I don’t think you’ve fully read through what’s said. Was there anything that said unless a premiership next season, Kev should be sacked?

Yes, it’s absolute bollocks that people just take the wrong interpretation & rant about it.
What you wrote was: "I don’t reckon making finals would alone appease us tragics & the board. This club has been through some shitty years & Premiership is the only thing that can take away the disappointment. Anything short of it, don’t think will cut it. Next year after we make the finals, we can’t just fall off like flies like we did during the backend of this season. We must go all the way to D day in October & get the “biggie”."

So you say that anything short of a premiership won't cut it, and the board will not be appeased.

And then you claim that you didn't say winning the premiership is the only thing that will see Kev keep the job.

So the only this makes sense is if you think the board can be not appeased but Kev keeps his job.

In theory possible of course, but if that's what you meant you could have made it a hell of a lot clearer.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • Rambstien
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.