PRE-GAME [PRELIMINARY FINAL] Brisbane Broncos vs New Zealand Warriors at Lang Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle at home the previous week, big crowd

Warriors at home, big crowd

These big crowds can make a difference. It can affect players confidence, in both positive and negative ways.

We have a big crowd Saturday night. Be the difference maker you guys

Not sorry.

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF
Still love you😁

Egan was bashed from pillar to post last week. I remember watching and thinking that if that were a regular season game, he’d have had to serve an 11 day concussion stand-down. He was visibly groggy after a couple of head knocks. I’m not expecting him to have his usual impact, hopefully 🤞

Opposition fans will say our confidence is arrogance but it isn't. We recognise the Warriors could win but we also recognise it will take a lot for them to do so. The reality is, these are the things that provide basis for our confidence:

- We have been in every game this year to the end except the first Rabbits one and that was ages ago
- We beat these guys in their own backyard with our B team
- We have gone up a higher level than them since then
- We are at home in front of a heaving crowd and the only team that hasn't won at home this finals is Cronulla and they can't beat top 8 sides
- We smashed Melbourne, a team that finished higher than them just last game
- We are much, much better than the Knights and they were in that game last week longer than they should have been
- The Warriors have had a soft draw and do not have a good record against top 4 sides this year
- The Warriors look like they played their GF last week
- They have some beaten up players coming in and we are fresh
- We have a second gear in us in the back end of games no other team in the comp has this year
- We have beaten everyone this year and we have a starch we haven't had in a long time - we can pretty and we can win dirty
- We have a captain and vice captain who have won the whole thing and several players that have won origin series, NZ don't really have anyone with this kind of recent big game experience
- We have weapons everywhere and no glaring weaknesses anywhere

We aren't pulling this confidence out of nowhere. The challenge will be for our boys not to be complacent but the way they have played this year and the way they are talking suggests they won't.

It has been a long time since we have gone in to big games expecting to win and not just hoping, and I am expecting to win this one comfortably.

Egan was bashed from pillar to post last week. I remember watching and thinking that if that were a regular season game, he’d have had to serve an 11 day concussion stand-down. He was visibly groggy after a couple of head knocks. I’m not expecting him to have his usual impact, hopefully 🤞
He is a bit like Josh Dugan. I dont think he gets as injured or groggy as he looks. I dont think he actually got hit in the head on the weekend. More just brutal contact like a whiplash that knocked the stuffing out of him. Especially the last hit. Think it was precaution.

Opposition fans will say our confidence is arrogance but it isn't. We recognise the Warriors could win but we also recognise it will take a lot for them to do so. The reality is, these are the things that provide basis for our confidence:

- We have been in every game this year to the end except the first Rabbits one and that was ages ago
- We are at home in front of a heaving crowd and the only team that hasn't won at home this finals is Cronulla and they can't beat top 8 sides
- We are much, much better than the Knights and they were in that game last week longer than they should have been
- The Warriors have had a soft draw and do not have a good record against top 4 sides this year
- We have a second gear in us in the back end of games no other team in the comp has this year
- We have beaten everyone this year and we have a starch we haven't had in a long time - we can pretty and we can win dirty
- We have a captain and vice captain who have won the whole thing and several players that have won origin series, NZ don't really have anyone with this kind of recent big game experience

We aren't pulling this confidence out of nowhere. The challenge will be for our boys not to be complacent but the way they have played this year and the way they are talking suggests they won't.

It has been a long time since we have gone in to big games expecting to win and not just hoping, and I am expecting to win this one comfortably.
All solid and fair points.

So why is my arse twitching?

Yes but short memory my friend.

We were supposed to comfortably take care of the cowboys in 2015….

Things don’t always go the way of the favourites, if they did gambling wouldn’t exist.

Some of us have been damaged, badly, since 2006….and I for one (this may surprise a few of you I know) am terrified of the warriors momentum and am bracing myself for a loss. I’m worried we played OUR GF vs the Storm.

SJ AFB Tohu and CNK are GUNS and can tear us to shreds if we don’t come in absolutely primed.

Warriors by 2 😰

(Superstitions/reverse jinx etc etc)

Things don’t always go the way of the favourites, if they did gambling wouldn’t exist.

Some of us have been damaged, badly, since 2006….and I for one (this may surprise a few of you I know) am terrified of the warriors momentum and am bracing myself for a loss. I’m worried we played OUR GF vs the Storm.

SJ AFB Tohu and CNK are GUNS and can tear us to shreds if we don’t come in absolutely primed.

Warriors by 2 😰

Never tempt me with an excuse for a list but here you go, us '15 head to head with us '23:
1. Walsh (23)
2. Oates (15)
3. Staggs (23)
4. Farnworth (23) = Hodges was amazing and was here too but was held together by sticky tape at this point
5. Cobbo (23)
6. Milford (15)
7. Reynolds (23)
8. Flegler (23)
9. Walters (23)
10. Haas (23)
11. Capewell (23)
12. Gillett (15)
13. Carrigan (23) = Parker (15)

14. Nikorima (15)
15. Hetherington (23)
16. Palasia (23)
17. Wallace (15)

Don't stress.

Warriors by 2 😰

Their momentum? Losses to and scratchy wins over teams outside the 8 with a belting by Penrith in week 1? Their only significant win was against the Knights, away, after they had just ridden the wave of emotion to get home in an extra-time thriller the week before at home against Canberra. Sure they racked up a score, but it doesn't do the Knights or the game any justice. The Wahs have looked tired for a while now, while we have looked very comfortable even when going up a gear or two.

Compare and contrast:

Don't forget we had the toughest draw too, which I think - combined with our late bye/s and the extra week off - will help us just be too fresh.

Yes, they could spring a massive upset. But I just can't see it. I'm only nervous because it's last chance saloon and anything can happen during a game. We've shown we can win pretty, we can win ugly, we can grind or we can razzle dazzle.

I expect another statement on Sat night - Penrith, we're coming for you next week.

Just reading the discussion, we could be in for some of the all time great meltdowns if we don't win this game.

I wouldn't see it as a failed season, definitely a failure not to win the game (or any game for that matter). I know some will, if you said we are making a prelim before Round 1, I would have called you a liar.

Bit alarming how many people have simply jotted us in for a spot in the GF, they can absolutely match us in the middle. More chance an upset in this game than the other prelim.

Just reading the discussion, we could be in for some of the all time great meltdowns if we don't win this game.

I wouldn't see it as a failed season, definitely a failure not to win the game (or any game for that matter). I know some will, if you said we are making a prelim before Round 1, I would have called you a liar.

Bit alarming how many people have simply jotted us in for a spot in the GF, they can absolutely match us in the middle. More chance an upset in this game than the other prelim.

Nah.

Haas > AFB
Flegler > Barnett
Capewell > Ford
Riki > Niukore
Carrigan > Harris

They are good but don't let the media fool you, they aren't quite on our level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• DrGee
  • broncs30
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • kman
  • Canga
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.