POST GAME PSC - Broncos vs Cowboys

No, I didn't. I'm saying the refs don't rig games AND it's illegal. I'm saying fans accusing the refs of cheating because think they made an error (regardless of whether they did) is just fans being complete pillocks.

Yes and the stock market is heavily regulated and that’s why the GFC didn’t occur. How dare anyone defame brokers!

As a case study we could look to John the Bookmaker and how the ACB handled that with regards to high profile Australian sportsmen. The interests of the sporting body resulted in the matter being handled privately and secretly, and it was years later that the matter became public knowledge. The players involved are still highly respected and one might say that their professional integrity was entirely dependent on it.

Maybe all the NRL issues have simply been handled privately by the NRL...

Betting scandals aside, V'landys has already made it clear that this sport is an entertainment product, and fan reactions to blow-out games was a bust for the NRL. The NRL loves to promote the "closest competition ever", so why would they not aim for that?

View attachment 21098
So you're arguing that because a crime happened, a crime is always happening?

So you're arguing that because a crime happened, a crime is always happening?
Who has said it is always happening?

what people are trying to argue against is your claim that due to scrutiny and legal ramifications they wouldn’t cheat and they are doing that by giving you examples of when it has happened.

I don't understand how someone can be a ref of this game, unless it's paying stupid money it isn't worth it, no one respects you despite the crucial nature of the job to the game.

Who has said it is always happening?

what people are trying to argue against is your claim that due to scrutiny and legal ramifications they wouldn’t cheat and they are doing that by giving you examples of when it has happened.
No, I'm saying they wouldn't cheat because they're normal human beings given a job of adjudication. Fans, on the other hand, routinely accuse officials of cheating. I'm just pointing out that fans have zero credibility on this subject. Particularly idiot gamblers who get spooked by their own farts.

Some fans believe certain refs have a style that favours certain clubs, and make bold predictions based on it. I've never seen one get this right yet.

I mention it's illegal to add absurd gravity to the casual accusations that stink up every live thread.

No, I'm saying they wouldn't cheat because they're normal human beings given a job of adjudication. Fans, on the other hand, routinely accuse officials of cheating. I'm just pointing out that fans have zero credibility on this subject. Particularly idiot gamblers who get spooked by their own farts.

Some fans believe certain refs have a style that favours certain clubs, and make bold predictions based on it. I've never seen one get this right yet.

I mention it's illegal to add absurd gravity to the casual accusations that stink up every live thread.
How can you say they wouldn’t cheat because they are normal people when there is multiple times normal people have.

The difference is you are talking in certainty. You are saying there is no chance. We aren’t saying it is definitely happening but are saying it’s a possibility.

Animated GIF

How can you say they wouldn’t cheat because they are normal people when there is multiple times normal people have.

The difference is you are talking in certainty. You are saying there is no chance. We aren’t saying it is definitely happening but are saying it’s a possibility.
Oh my god, this is tedious. I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm saying they're routinely accused of it twenty times every game by blithering airheads. The actual chance of it happening, I wouldn't fucking know. But I do know it's an extraordinary claim.

Oh my god, this is tedious. I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm saying they're routinely accused of it twenty times every game by blithering airheads. The actual chance of it happening, I wouldn't fucking know. But I do know it's an extraordinary claim.
Well that is different to what you were saying before.

In regards to live threads you do understand that the very nature of the emotions and speed of comments in there are not always going to be well considered right? Also you aren't obligated to go in them so if the emotion and passion of the comments in there upset you this much maybe you should just avoid them.

I think the issue with these quotes will always be the fact that all interpretations of any given action will be subjective and relative to the time in which it is made. The path to hell may indeed be paved with good intentions, but the intentions themselves may have various focuses.

There is undoubtedly corruption and the potential for it in every governing body, and the ways in which this corruption can manifest are manifold.

In trying to make the NRL more entertaining the justification is that many will benefit from this, but also there will be individuals who benefit from this ppersonally. These individuals may think it justified, even after the result proves less rewarding for the many others.

In the majority of cases, many will be pointing out Broncos vs. X. But really, it will be established team vs "struggling/new team in valued area".

I'm happy to be proven wrong on the Dolphins, but if the team that ran out the past two games somehow manages to be successful this season, it will be a miracle or something fishy. A tell-tale sign will be the officiating.

Also, corruption within the NRL, and especially around betting is historically documented. The issue is proving it, and that comes at a cost to the taxpayers, only a portion of whom are NRL fans who bet and lost in those cases. Possibly too, those with enough motivation and money to push for enquiry.

Let us also not forget the political connections that exist in the NRL. The PM's XIII being one way to kiss the ring. ScoMo being so involved with property developers/-ment within the Sharks footy club is still fishy to me, particularly after his involvement as Sports minister and Treasurer, and his involvement in the Sports rorts affair.

I could go on, but to say that it is not a net result of corruption is like assigning lethargy, misunderstanding, stupidity and selfishness to the Catholic Church and its historical corruption. In this we can throw another idiom into the discussion: "A fish rots from the head down".

The issue here IMO ultimately is that the rule changes suck. The 6-again limits reflection on the infringement. Awarding a try only to go to the bunker who silently looks at it, then tells the ref they are reviewing it, then publicly review it, then award or deny it takes so long. Are the refs personally responsible? who knows? But could they be coached to identify Flegler as a potential serial infringer and JWH as simply aggressive? I think so, particularly with media influence and a dictatorial business structure, where the head of refs gives the instructions. FYI there is documented reports (See around 2:20) on there being factions within the refereeing community, those in with the Suttons and those not. Also, Bernard Sutton was accused of giving his brothers preferential treatment in 2020. Badger and Cecchin ousted, etc.

Now, let us look at foreign sporting bodies. FIFA was found to be corrupt in awarding Qatar the world cup. Man city is still being investigated for its corruption years later, but will they be booted from the EPL? Yes, corruption does exist in other sporting bodies, and it is most likely that the money involved is far greater too, which means a vested interest in preventing it from being found.

In the case of the Broncos, meh, they need to be better regardless, but 2020 killed them mentally. Going 2-0 before corona only to then get a changed draw and being the guinea pigs on the new rules and copping them VERY hard absolutely had an impact IMO. Go back and watch those games (if you can stomach it) and see when the calls are made (early to drain energy), where the calls are made (often relieving pressure for the opposition, and increase pressure for Broncos defending), and the reactions from the players (confusion, anger, disbelief and finally acceptance). The 6-again bell became a Pavlovian response for them. It rings and they slump.

Now, the Dolphins coming into the comp. Well, that was obviously pure business when you look at how the decision-making went. Two Brisbane teams should equal more money than a Perth team or Adelaide team, even though the rhetoric is always about expansion. The truth is that Melbourne shows that expansion into non-NRL territories requires upkeep, and despite Melbourne's (corrupted) success, it is still not a popular club in its location. Also, why did Cam Smith's wife get a ring from the NRL? So random.

Also random is the success of the Sharks in the one year between years in which they were found cheating. I dunno, just seems like a history of questionable activity. Could it be that there is something to do with absolute power corrupting absolutely? Could it be that betting companies have in the last 20 years become pure business enterprises and not the organised crime syndicates of yesteryear? Could the desire for one man to show a successful stint at the helm of a sporting institution lead him to make sound business decisions and not influence others to retain their jobs or income or appearances and avoid the use of the invested media companies to market decisions in a positive light? I dunno.

I just want the NRL of the 2000s back. I'd settle for the 2010s. But here I am stuck in 2023 with the stupid 6-again rule and a new rule or 2 every season with a tweak here and a tweak there and a Annersley justification each time.

Just mute the guys who annoy you, or skim their posts for something relevant or insightful. It's like the drunk who yells "been doing it all night" when an offside is called on the first set. It's funny, but it gets old and it changes nothing, but it's part of the sport, and you'd miss it if it went, I think.
TLDR ...

I'm unsure why exactly you're getting bent out of shape about it.

Fans have been calling the ref a cheat since the game began. It comes with the territory....

"How much are they payin' ya ref!" .....is one example of a common ref insult thrown from the crowd. Been around a long long time.

No, I didn't. I'm saying the refs don't rig games AND it's illegal. I'm saying fans accusing the refs of cheating because think they made an error (regardless of whether they did) is just fans being complete pillocks.

And let's say a rogue ref is actually trying to rig a game, do you think they'd do it so blatantly you could tell? Everything they do is analysed to death. It's a stupid premise, and you have to be stupid to go along with it.

Love to see a quote about bias by a notoriously biased person. Also, just because Gus said this does not make it true. In fact, I strongly disagree with practically everything in that quote. Gus is an absolute idiot who speaks with confidence.

Ummmm 1. Refs have biases. 2. Corruption is everywhere money is involved. 3. New rules suck. 4. Dolphins suck. 5. Why you no read good?

I read fine .
Just choosey what I spend my time reading .

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • scobie
  • heartly87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Spoon
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.